Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-05-2007, 17:16   #136
Resting in Peace

Re: Accy Buses............

Hey, just seen some brand new buses as I waited to get out onto Union Road from Moscow Mill Street (don't know whether just on the road today or not ?) .. two coming up, two coming down.

They are called 'Spot on'. Lovely white numbers with a few purpley dots ...suspension looked really good and glided round the corners like a dream .. had the Matrix moving type signs on the front for destination too. Every 10 min Accrington >>> Blackburn (and reverse). Every 30 mins. evenings and Sundays. Looked like one may have caught up with the other though.

Almost parked me car up to get on one ... real cool..
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-05-2007, 17:30   #137
God Member

just out of curiosity , how much is the regular bus fare from Accrington to Blackburn these days ? and how much for cab/taxi ?
thanks
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2007, 17:31   #138
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

yeh been in one today going to town, belong to lancashire united, they got more leg room and look posh inside, and cameras on the top ceiling so i doubt the little tearaways wont be able to graffiti on the seats
Old 14-05-2007, 17:32   #139
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
just out of curiosity , how much is the regular bus fare from Accrington to Blackburn these days ? and how much for cab/taxi ?
thanks
too much probably ..
Old 14-05-2007, 17:37   #140
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
thanks
Can't help with the bus fare steeljack, but taxi £8 -£10 pounds on average.

Hey, Panther, did it have that loverly smell ?
Old 14-05-2007, 17:39   #141
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post

Hey, Panther, did it have that loverly smell ?
no....sorry didnt notice it, only people stinking of fags getting on the bus
Old 14-05-2007, 17:56   #142
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther View Post
no....sorry didnt notice it, only people stinking of fags getting on the bus
Eeew hek, that would have been me then if I had got on..

Last drag before a journey.
Old 26-05-2007, 08:33   #143

I've seen the new buses too - very smart indeed! I've been impressed by Lancashire United since they've been here - I remember when it was Stagecoach, so dirty and unreliable.

Suz x.
suzster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2007, 10:01   #144

hello, the fare from accy to bburn on the no1 is approx £1.50 each way. and if you like the new buses, blackburn transport have got 11 of the same vehicles in the same livery!!(spot-on) and lancashire united have the other 14. the blackburn transport ones will be out around the 6th of june so keep an eye out!

this is all since transdev (who own LU) bought out blackburn transport.

paul
PaulsP38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2007, 10:40   #145
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulsP38 View Post
hello, the fare from accy to bburn on the no1 is approx £1.50 each way. and if you like the new buses, blackburn transport have got 11 of the same vehicles in the same livery!!(spot-on) and lancashire united have the other 14. the blackburn transport ones will be out around the 6th of june so keep an eye out!

this is all since transdev (who own LU) bought out blackburn transport.

paul
Just a shame now has Volvo as the manufacturer and not British Leyland .. ah well, time moves on.

Appears to be a really good service (sorry says every 12 mins, not 10) But always spot one or two on my way from Clayton to Ossie every morning .. seems would have no problems catching one from Sparth Road to the Palladium and worth considering leaving my car at home now and then. Maybe this service was always there, but they have marketed the look and information on the buses well and brought it to my attention.
Old 26-05-2007, 11:37   #146
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Eeew hek, that would have been me then if I had got on..

Last drag before a journey.
Last Tuesday on my trip to Whitefield I had to make change at Prestwich. The area around the bus stop was heavily littered with cans and fag ends. That council has serious litter problems!
I was desperate for a ciggy and wondered where I could put the dog end - because I was determined not to make the problem worse. I thought about putting it in one of the cans, but I think that would constitute littering too. There was no rubbish bin in sight.
Fortunately a street sweeping gent showed up and he looked astonished and pleased when I asked if I could put it straight into his bin.
I like the non smoking policy on buses because even as a smoker it is not pleasant inhaling someonelses brand in such a confined space.
I know that we smokers smell of it - try to make up for it by daily baths and clothes changes and, of course, Chanel No5

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2007, 07:22   #147

Talking Re: Accy Buses............

Quote:
Originally Posted by junetta View Post
junetta's blog

Sunday, January 14, 2007

“Meet You Under the Clock“!!

I found this wonderful photo during my internet wanderings and although Accy buses were wonderful in their own right, I was more interested in the clock that you see in the background. That thing with black legs top left!

I don“t think it is still there now, but during the sixties it was the place to meet for teenagers hoping for a new romance. There you were, skirts showing your knickers, trying to feel confident and praying that matie would turn up!

After all, you only met him last night for a quick snog at Burnley Mecca! Could you even remember what he looked like!!

I was only “stood up“ once and I ended up marrying him. It would be nice to know how many folk got hitched because of that clock.

Thanks Doug xx

At one time under the clock was "The Old Bank Cafe", - I remember it from early 70's cos my sister worked in there - was able to cadge some grub when owner wasn't about !!
Old 27-05-2007, 15:47   #148
Senior Member+

When did those Accrington Transport buses cease to run? I remember them in the 70s, but I'm not sure when they disappeared.
Old 27-05-2007, 21:55   #149
Super Moderator

Think the famous blue and red livery finally disappeared about 1998/99. A sad day and another piece of the town's identity gone.
Old 28-05-2007, 20:21   #150
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Think the famous blue and red livery finally disappeared about 1998/99. A sad day and another piece of the town's identity gone.
Thanks for the info. I didn't realise they were around in the late 90s.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..