Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-01-2007, 18:30   #106
Resident Waffler

Re: Accy Buses............

Wasn't it when the buses were deregulated and all the different companies could have a go at competing with each other? At one time you knew where you were with buses, the colour gave you a clue where they were going or had come from.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-01-2007, 18:32   #107
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

just found this pic, wonder where it was taken?...before my time... img123.jpg
Old 16-01-2007, 00:06   #108
God Member

Hyndburn Transport was still going in March 1995. That was after the buses were deregulated that was either october 85 or october 86 cant remember which one it was.
shillelagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2007, 00:08   #109
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther View Post
just found this pic, wonder where it was taken?...before my time... Attachment 7944
Took in Haslingden that outside the commercial on Manchester Road at the traffic lights. Tis the old Accrington to Bacup Service. Route No 4.
Take a guess in the 70's it was took
Old 16-01-2007, 00:16   #110
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther View Post
just found this pic, wonder where it was taken?...before my time... Attachment 7944

What’s your time Panther?

I have a copy of the same photo. That is a Leyland PD2/1. No 114. Reg: MTF 827 was withdrawn from Service in 1965. I’m proud to say I’ve ridden her.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img123.jpg (30.0 KB, 74 views)

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2007, 00:20   #111
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shillelagh View Post
Took in Haslingden that outside the commercial on Manchester Road at the traffic lights. Tis the old Accrington to Bacup Service. Route No 4.
Take a guess in the 70's it was took
Five or six years out my little sweetie eating friend........but nice shot. Wait for rindys confirmation of the date of the lady's attire. I'd say between 1960 and 1964.

The Bus dates from the late 1940s.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2007, 01:36   #112
God Member

Hey i wasnt born till 1967 and plus i was taking a guess like i said. But I was right were the photo was taken wasnt i?

In fact its near enough the same now.
Old 16-01-2007, 01:45   #113
God Member

Got this from wikpedia:

Hyndburn Transport
Hyndburn council, based in Accrington, sold its bus operations to Stagecoach in September 1996. The operation was soon merged into sister-company Ribble, with the garage in Accrington closed and services operated from the Ribble garage in neighbouring Blackburn. Stagecoach was later to sell its Blackburn garage and operations to Blazefield Group in 2001, which operates the services under the fleetname Lancashire United. The Blazefield Group has since been bought by Transdev.
Old 16-01-2007, 08:58   #114
Full Member+

Saints and Sinners Bingo Champion!
Bezerk Champion!

Yes shillelagh it is Haslingden centre, anyone remember the awful loos there.

Last edited by MITZY; 16-01-2007 at 09:02.
MITZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2007, 09:45   #115
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by shillelagh View Post
Hyndburn Transport was still going in March 1995. That was after the buses were deregulated that was either october 85 or october 86 cant remember which one it was.
As usual I'm being a woolly waffler. Meaning when they were deregulated they weren't like kings of the Accy bus station like they used to be - all those other diferent ones appeared with different colours which told nothing about their origin or destination. I used to love recognisiing the Bacup, the Blackburn etc by their different colours.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2007, 09:55   #116
Senior Member+

Iremember the old double deckers.......i fell off one
Old 16-01-2007, 10:31   #117
God Member

The old lady next door to me was a conductress during teh war, She also did abit of driving I believe. She still has her ticket machine.

I'll see if I can get her to post some information about what it was like on teh buses during the war.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2007, 11:59   #118
God Member

transdev (the firm that has lancashire united) are taking over blackburn transport, there's set to be some huge improvements, so watch this space
Old 17-01-2007, 17:19   #119
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
What’s your time Panther?

I have a copy of the same photo. That is a Leyland PD2/1. No 114. Reg: MTF 827 was withdrawn from Service in 1965. I’m proud to say I’ve ridden her.
i wasnt born till 1972 the only ones i remember where the which were taken off the road when they ended
Old 17-01-2007, 17:42   #120
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Wait for rindys confirmation of the date of the lady's attire. I'd say between 1960 and 1964.

The Bus dates from the late 1940s.
Would think better to look at the man's attire here, as he actually has a suit on. !

Used to love the stickers they let you put on the windows, do they still do that ? advertising local events, remember feeling very proud when they advertised an Accie Amateurs show which I was involved with, as per this one, but can't read it.

Pim0005.jpg
katex is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..