Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2014, 14:23   #1

accy cinema

first cinema in accy was called world in motion' later named kings hall
gerald fielding is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-01-2014, 15:30   #2
Senior Member+

Re: accy cinema

Later named Bug Hut
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 17:19   #3
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossy kid View Post
Later named Bug Hut
The only cinema in Accy I never went in
Old 10-01-2014, 17:22   #4
Full Member+

Ditto Jaysay.
Rowlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 18:27   #5

I went there occasionally in the very early 1950s and films were shown on Saturday afternoons, I seem to remember that the admission fee was 4d whereas it was 6d in the Odeon on Saturday mornings.
davidf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 22:39   #6
Senior Member+

The only one I ever got thrown out of. Could have been the peashooters from the balcony?
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 17:25   #7
Senior Member+

Gerald - welcome to Accyweb. I cannot give you detail because I cannot find my copy of 'An Accrington Mixture' which I edited and published a few years ago. In it there is an essay about Accy's cinemas. I think it says that the first was The Dowry, it was a converted engineering works at the bottom of Dowry St. The front door was on Moore St. I happen to know that your sister has a copy - go to see her to read it. The author of the essay is Frank Watson, who is the authority on the subject. He gives talks about it, so if you hear about him giving one - get in there.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 22:16   #8

I went to a cinema in Accrington in 1964 - I saw the Beatles' Hard Days Night with my school friends (all girls) and we screamed our heads off! Can't remember the name of the cinema now though.
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 10:03   #9

Once went to the 'Bug Hut' in the'posh seats upstairs(down stairs were benches),lent back and the back of the seat fell off.
Big Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 13:11   #10
Senior Member+

Gerald - Click 'Search' on the top line....enter the word 'cinema' to search all previous threads and it will come up with all previous. The one headed Dowry St has some useful stuff in. It includes the fact that all of Accy's cinemas began with the letter 'T' -Th'Odeon, T'Ritz, T'Palace. Th'Empire, T'Princes. T'King's Hall.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2014, 22:12   #11
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
the first was The Dowry, it was a converted engineering works at the bottom of Dowry St. The front door was on Moore St.

And I agree with you Bob, it certainly was The Dowry
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2014, 18:58   #12
Junior Member+

Quote:
I cannot give you detail because I cannot find my copy of 'An Accrington Mixture' which I edited and published a few years ago. In it there is an essay about Accy's cinemas. I think it says that the first was The Dowry, it was a converted engineering works at the bottom of Dowry St. The front door was on Moore St.
The article in Bob's book by Frank Watson says the Dowry Street Picture Palace was opened on Monday 28th February 1910 in a building dating back to 1860. The cinema could accommodate between four and five hundred people and closed in 1916.
The King's Hall was probably the second cinema to open in an old Methodist Chapel. It was originally called the Picturedrome but changed its name to the King's Hall in 1915.
Rob1912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2014, 08:04   #13
Senior Member+

Acinema

Quote:
It includes the fact that all of Accy's cinemas began with the letter 'T' -Th'Odeon, T'Ritz, T'Palace. Th'Empire, T'Princes. T'King's Hall.
hahaha Bob Dobson!
Attached Images
File Type: gif alaughing.gif (78.3 KB, 10 views)
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..