Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-10-2010, 20:51   #31
Always EVIL within us

Re: Accy Old Photo's - John Kelly's Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.S.H View Post
Cracking photo's, keep em coming.
Do you have a date for the Eastgate photo?
Can you imagine the uproar if they sold meat like that today :-)
Unfortunately, the photo's came with very little or no information regarding dates, maybe some of the older members might find a clue within the photo's? In some of the pics to follow, dating may be possible because of the vehicles shown
Old 17-10-2010, 20:55   #32
God Member

No problem, I "think" the terraced row in that photo is Milton St, am I correct?

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2010, 20:58   #33
Always EVIL within us

Quote:
Do you have a date for the Eastgate photo?
)
Just had a close look at the Eastgate photo and although I do not recognise the model of the white car, I would guess early 60's.
Old 17-10-2010, 21:01   #34
Always EVIL within us

Quote:
No problem, I "think" the terraced row in that photo is Milton St, am I correct?
Oops, I put it as Milnshaw rd 'cos I misheard Willow shout from the other room

No, just had it from the horses mouth (she'll kill me for that) It IS Milnshaw Lane!

Last edited by Busman747; 17-10-2010 at 21:10.
Busman747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2010, 21:14   #35
Always EVIL within us

Going back to the viaduct photo's I missed one out, Whalley Rd.......

Old 17-10-2010, 21:16   #36
God Member

Nah, Milnshaw lane is on the other side of Viaduct, if you look at the "the centre of viaduct picture" look under the 3rd arch (from left) and Milnshaw lane is just showing, bending off to the right, goes up past where Aldi is now.
On the Eastgate photo it is written on the photo "Castle street" and thats the Castle pub at the left of the junction
PS - I'm on about the terrace in the middle of the pic, the lower one is on the roundabout - was that called Milnshaw lane then???

www.ubuntu.com

Last edited by K.S.H; 17-10-2010 at 21:18.
Old 17-10-2010, 21:27   #37
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busman747 View Post
I'm sure that the next couple of photo's will be of interest to the Accrington Stanley forum. Here is a comment from Everton.....
Quoted from a forum on the history of Everton FC

"They then welcomed a team from Accrington called Bells Temperance to Anfield, on arrival the visitors found they faced a weakened Everton side, only three first team regulars were in the side, and ran out 3-2 winners before a crowd of 1,500. "

Just as a little piece of history..............Temperance was a mass movement in the nineteenth century against excessive drinking. In1832 Joseph Livesey started the Temperance Movement in Preston, Lancashire requiring followers to sign a pledge of total abstinence. Livesey opened the first temperance hotel in 1833 and in 1835 The British Temperance Association was founded. An offshoot was the Band of Hope founded in 1847 in Leeds, Yorkshire to save children from the perils of drink, again members had to pledge to abstain from all intoxicating liquor. Various churches promoted the cause and in 1884 the National Temperance Federation supported by the Liberal Party was founded.
Maine Road, Manchester (the former home of City) was re-named, from Dog Kennel Lane, by members of the Temperance Movement in honour of the state of Maine, U.S.A. that had passed a law in 1853 prohibiting alcohol sales. Within two years another twelve states had gone “dry”.
The Temperance Movement bought many public houses just to let their alcohol licence lapse and renamed them Temperance Hotels. Fitzpatrick’s in Rawtenstall, Lancashire is the last remaining temperance bar in the U.K. and still provides non alcoholic refreshments with the labels of their bottles bearing one of the last temperance pledges to be signed in the area.

Here is Accrington Stanley in 1890
Some of those lads in picture 1 went on to serve in WW1. L. Pemberton, W Renshaw, & Sproul are three of them.
Bells Field was in what became Belfield Rd, just a bit higher up than where St Mary's school used to be on the right.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2010, 21:40   #38
I am Banned

Quote:
There are just two photo's in Johns album which are directly war related, the first one is the staff of the Barrage Balloon Command who had headquarters at Oak Street School.................

.........and the anti-aircraft gun from 1940 according to the hand-written date on the side, I have no idea whereabouts in Accy it was situated.
Look at the tall building in the background, if I'm not mistaken that old mill was on Hyndburn Rd.
Last occupied by Brougton's before they moved to the old mill at the top of Church St.
The barrage balloon was on the sight of what is now the Arndale Center, the balloon was struck by lightning twice during the war, it never caught any jerry planes.
Retlaw.
Old 17-10-2010, 21:44   #39
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Look at the tall building in the background, if I'm not mistaken that old mill was on Hyndburn Rd.
Last occupied by Brougton's before they moved to the old mill at the top of Church St.
As shown in the aerial pic, middle on the left hand side??

www.ubuntu.com

Old 17-10-2010, 21:47   #40
I am Banned

Quote:
Everybody that comes to Accrington cannot help but notice the magnificent viaduct that spans the town centre. Here are 6 photos that show the houses and road network as they used to be around the viaduct......

Milnshaw
The centre of viaduct

View of viaduct
Those were taken from the top of the Turntable Ladder late 1950's or early 1960's

Retlaw.
Old 17-10-2010, 21:52   #41
Always EVIL within us

Quote:
Nah, Milnshaw lane is on the other side of Viaduct, if you look at the "the centre of viaduct picture" look under the 3rd arch (from left) and Milnshaw lane is just showing, bending off to the right, goes up past where Aldi is now.
On the Eastgate photo it is written on the photo "Castle street" and thats the Castle pub at the left of the junction
PS - I'm on about the terrace in the middle of the pic, the lower one is on the roundabout - was that called Milnshaw lane then???
I think you are right, this is where the tax office now stands? There used to be a road running at the back of these two rows of houses called Mary Ann Street (below the Castle pub)

Last edited by Busman747; 17-10-2010 at 21:55.
Busman747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2010, 21:56   #42
God Member

Quote:
Those were taken from the top of the Turntable Ladder late 1950's or early 1960's

Retlaw.
"IF" that is Milton St then it must have been the 60's, I wasn't born in the 50's , My Grandparents lived on Milton St but on the other side which isn't shown (been demolished when pic taken), I was only a nipper but remember the area a bit, certainly remember a large banking going up to the railway, remember walking through the car park to get to it, it was massive then, as shown in one of the photos

www.ubuntu.com

Last edited by K.S.H; 17-10-2010 at 21:59.
Old 17-10-2010, 21:57   #43
Always EVIL within us

Quote:

Retlaw.
Nice one Retlaw
Old 17-10-2010, 21:58   #44
God Member

Quote:
I think you are right, this is where the tax office now stands? There used to be a road running at the back of these two rows of houses called Mary Ann Street (below the Castle pub)
Yeah it is, can't remember Mary Ann Street though

www.ubuntu.com

Old 17-10-2010, 22:07   #45
I am Banned

.........and the anti-aircraft gun from 1940 according to the hand-written date on the side, I have no idea whereabouts in Accy it was situated.[/quote]
That young lad on the right looks very much like me.
Must have been late 1940's, don't remember it ever being fired, think they moved it some where else.
Use to watch the jerry planes come over, and see the search lights and ack ack fire from Salford way, was always getting pasted for hanging out of the bedroom window watching, when I should have been hard and fast asleep.

Retlaw.

Last edited by Retlaw; 17-10-2010 at 22:11.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..