Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-10-2010, 22:10   #46
Always EVIL within us

Re: Accy Old Photo's - John Kelly's Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
That young lad on the right looks very much like me.
Must have been late 1940's, don't remember it ever being fired, think they moved it some where else.

Retlaw.
Date on side of photo is 1940 Retlaw
Old 17-10-2010, 22:21   #47
Always EVIL within us

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.S.H View Post
Yeah it is, can't remember Mary Ann Street though
Old 18-10-2010, 08:57   #48
Resting in Peace

Quote:
.........and the anti-aircraft gun from 1940 according to the hand-written date on the side, I have no idea whereabouts in Accy it was situated.
Must have been late 1940's, don't remember it ever being fired, think they moved it some where else.
Use to watch the jerry planes come over, and see the search lights and ack ack fire from Salford way, was always getting pasted for hanging out of the bedroom window watching, when I should have been hard and fast asleep.

Retlaw.[/quote]
Is that not Hitchens wholesalers in the background which used to be on Hyndburn Road Walter
Old 18-10-2010, 09:19   #49
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busman747 View Post
Hmmm.thats what I thought was Milton St, so where the hell was Milton St?

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2010, 11:36   #50
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Use to watch the jerry planes come over, and see the search lights and ack ack fire from Salford way, was always getting pasted for hanging out of the bedroom window watching, when I should have been hard and fast asleep.

Retlaw.
Is that not Hitchens wholesalers in the background which used to be on Hyndburn Road Walter[/quote]
Yes it was Hitchens, and where the AA gun is, some where near bottom of Fort St, on what used to be Ellison's Tenement.
The same place where the Accriungton Pals used to train in 1914,
you get the same background in some of their pictures.
Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2010, 11:43   #51
I am Banned

Quote:
Hmmm.thats what I thought was Milton St, so where the hell was Milton St?
Its the same st, it has been called Milton St and Mary Ann St, before they built the tax office it ws last known as Mary Ann St,
The sign was still there for some time after that part of East Gate opened, it ws high up on the end wall of the Castle pub.
Retlaw
Old 18-10-2010, 16:36   #52

Quote:
As shown in the aerial pic, middle on the left hand side??
In this picture I can see, Bull Bridge, Crawshaw Street (after the houses were demolished and became a car park), Union Street, School Street and Edgar Street...
I grew up in Crawshaw Street..next door to the Horse Shoe Pub....
Thanks for the fantastic pictures
AccyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2010, 16:50   #53
God Member

Quote:
Its the same st, it has been called Milton St and Mary Ann St, before they built the tax office it ws last known as Mary Ann St,
The sign was still there for some time after that part of East Gate opened, it ws high up on the end wall of the Castle pub.
Retlaw
Thanks for that, explains a lot, especially that I'm not going daft
Or does it? my Grandparents moved out because they were demolishing the area and I only know it as Milton St

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2010, 17:30   #54
Always EVIL within us

Quote:
Retlaw
The map that gave me the information on Mary anne St was pre-1900. I know that because a field shown on it would eventually be our house which was built in the year 1900 Omorod St was just half the length.
Old 18-10-2010, 17:40   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busman747 View Post
Everybody that comes to Accrington cannot help but notice the magnificent viaduct that spans the town centre. Here are 6 photos that show the houses and road network as they used to be around the viaduct......

Milnshaw Rd.

Eastgate

Aeriel view

The centre of viaduct

View of viaduct

From Blackburn Rd.
The picture titled 'View of Viaduct' I can see Crawshaw Street..there is a car where the house I grew up in stood ..and where The Horseshoe Pub stood...(corner of School St).I think under the Viaduct led into King Street which went up to meet Blackburn Road.....Edgar Street is behind Crawshaw Street and the Picture Houses 'Empire and Princess. stood..also Nellies Sweet shop...
can see the Ambulance Drill Hall also back of the Methodist Church in Union Street...where the tree is used to be the graveyard.......the picture will be taken after 1963..I left for 'The South' that year...and pretty sure the houses still stood in Crawshaw St then. GREAT PICTURES, many thanks
Old 18-10-2010, 17:57   #56
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Is that not Hitchens wholesalers in the background which used to be on Hyndburn Road Walter
Yes it was Hitchens, and where the AA gun is, some where near bottom of Fort St, on what used to be Ellison's Tenement.
Retlaw.[/quote]
I can remember when I was young my cousin lived on Park Road Walter, there was a piece of land of Countess Street called the Wreck or might have been the Red Wreck, looks like the gun maybe situated in or about that area
Old 18-10-2010, 19:11   #57
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Retlaw.
I can remember when I was young my cousin lived on Park Road Walter, there was a piece of land of Countess Street called the Wreck or might have been the Red Wreck, looks like the gun maybe situated in or about that area[/quote]
Sorry John, but you wouldn't get the old mill in the background from that angle, its definitely on Ellisons Tenement, besides I never went to that end of Accrington until I was much older, about 14 when I started to attend Hyndburn Park night school.
Retlaw.
Old 18-10-2010, 19:33   #58
I am Banned

I've put some names on the picture, to provide some sort of orientation.
Retlaw.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Accy001.jpg (150.5 KB, 103 views)

Last edited by Retlaw; 18-10-2010 at 19:36.
Old 18-10-2010, 19:52   #59
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
I've put some names on the picture, to provide some sort of orientation.
Retlaw.
Is the Photo from late70's early 80's, only asking as I don't know the area but the style of cars seem to denote that era (Vinyl roofs,early ford vans & Mk 1's, couple of allegro shapes too).
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2010, 20:37   #60

Quote:
I can remember when I was young my cousin lived on Park Road Walter, there was a piece of land of Countess Street called the Wreck or might have been the Red Wreck, looks like the gun maybe situated in or about that area
Sorry John, but you wouldn't get the old mill in the background from that angle, its definitely on Ellisons Tenement, besides I never went to that end of Accrington until I was much older, about 14 when I started to attend Hyndburn Park night school.
Retlaw.[/QUOTE]

it is Ellisons Tenement, sometimes I used to walk across it on my way to school (Hyndburn Park 1950's)..cut through a small passage and then The Hippodrome would be there.. That is Hitchen's on Hyndburn Road in the background..close to it there was a graveyard where the sheep went before going into the slaughter house..It was great when Ellisons Tenement was a Fairground....with the black pea stall ..

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..