Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-10-2010, 18:25   #91
God Member

Re: Accy Old Photo's - John Kelly's Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Was the stand in the first picture of your new entry not built for George V's visit on July 9th, 1913 ?
Nah, its scaffolding for installing the clock

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-10-2010, 19:17   #92
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.S.H View Post
Nah, its scaffolding for installing the clock
Daft sod..
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2010, 19:22   #93
Senior Member+

I haven't been on the site for a few weeks. The last hour or so is the best I've had for ages. (I've been down so long it feels like up to me.) There are several that I would like to comment on but haven't time to look again. I do remember that I wanted to tell that 'The Rec' was at the bottom of Lister Street and Park Rd, behind Hyndburn Park School. It was used as a football & cricket pitch by lads from the Grammar School. It's name was short for 'recreation'.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2010, 19:32   #94
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
I haven't been on the site for a few weeks. The last hour or so is the best I've had for ages. (I've been down so long it feels like up to me.) There are several that I would like to comment on but haven't time to look again. I do remember that I wanted to tell that 'The Rec' was at the bottom of Lister Street and Park Rd, behind Hyndburn Park School. It was used as a football & cricket pitch by lads from the Grammar School. It's name was short for 'recreation'.
Hahaha ... always thought it was spelt 'wreck'.
Old 24-10-2010, 19:37   #95
Senior Member+

As a bit of an outsider (only been in lancashire since 1967) can you tell me where the Slaters Arms were. Ok I mean the pub before any wag says "hanging from his shoulders".
Old 24-10-2010, 19:41   #96
God Member

One interesting point in looking at these old piccys of the late Victorian/Edwardian era is to see the number of men who are wearing the 'boater' hat. As a fashion statement for young men, this was the equivalent of today's ubiquitous baseball cap.So I wonder just how many of those we see in those old pictures are the great and great,great grandfathers of the silly capped scumbags we see on a daily basis so disfiguring the town today?

Last edited by Tealeaf; 24-10-2010 at 19:44.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2010, 20:01   #97
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
As a bit of an outsider (only been in lancashire since 1967) can you tell me where the Slaters Arms were. Ok I mean the pub before any wag says "hanging from his shoulders".

I asked this question a few pages back, Gremlin, with no response. Our historians on here will know the answer. Ironic though, that the name does not reflect the name of the pub ...see the roof .. lots of slates missing there ...
Old 24-10-2010, 20:16   #98
JCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
25 Plantation St.
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2010, 20:30   #99
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
I asked this question a few pages back, Gremlin, with no response. Our historians on here will know the answer. Ironic though, that the name does not reflect the name of the pub ...see the roof .. lots of slates missing there ...
Slaters Arms was on Bank St.
From the look of it, it was boarded up, windows missing and slates being removed.

Retlaw.

Last edited by Retlaw; 24-10-2010 at 20:34.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2010, 20:33   #100
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Bank Street as far as i know. some great pics cheers very much Busman.
Old 24-10-2010, 20:59   #101
JCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Bank Street as far as i know. some great pics cheers very much Busman.
I put Slaters Arms Accrington on Google , and it came up with a page called Untitled Document, which gives an address in Plantation St .
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2010, 21:06   #102
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Slaters Arms was on Bank St.
From the look of it, it was boarded up, windows missing and slates being removed.

Retlaw.

Ah .. he has awoken. Soo, is that now Porters ?
Old 24-10-2010, 21:15   #103
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post
I put Slaters Arms Accrington on Google , and it came up with a page called Untitled Document, which gives an address in Plantation St .
This one?

12/02/1916 Hy Livesey
Half A Century Of Licensing Administration In Accrington, New Accrington
Slaters Arms,
25 Plantation Street
Accrington

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2010, 21:47   #104
Senior Member+

and do you know, without checking, I always thought the Slaters Arms was where a murder was committed, at the corner of Whalley Rd and Broadway, now no longer there.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2010, 21:51   #105
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

now we got a real mystery, atarah thinks one place, retlaw n me think another,Jcb n Ksh think someplace else, along wi google, where the hell was it?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..