Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-10-2010, 11:16   #121
I am Banned

Re: Accy Old Photo's - John Kelly's Album

All this argy bargy about where the Slaters Arms was proves a point,
not many of you know much about the history of Accrington in by gone days.
Just to put you all out of your misery, you wont find it on any modern photo, or on the spurious web sites on goggle, its been long gone.

The Slaters Arms was at 21 Whalley Rd, in 1869 the landlord was William Wilkinson.

Retlaw
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-10-2010, 11:44   #122
Resting in Peace

This is true, Retlaw, lots of us have small knowledge of the history of our Borough, but it is threads like this that have stirred our interest and asked questions and not been afraid to come up with the incorrect answers.

Accyweb,Atarah/Bob and yourself has given me a new insight and wanting to know more. So don't criticise us please for our shortcoming, encourage us..

Busman ... next please.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 12:18   #123
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
This is true, Retlaw, lots of us have small knowledge of the history of our Borough, but it is threads like this that have stirred our interest and asked questions and not been afraid to come up with the incorrect answers.

Accyweb,Atarah/Bob and yourself has given me a new insight and wanting to know more. So don't criticise us please for our shortcoming, encourage us..

Busman ... next please.
Okay dont get your knickers in a twist.
I've spent nearly my whole life looking into Accrington's
past, as did John Kelly, both of us have shared many of our photographs
and information with each other over the years, we tend to think others have the same interests, and get a miffed with some of the answers.

Retlaw

Last edited by Retlaw; 25-10-2010 at 12:22.
Old 25-10-2010, 14:35   #124
Resting in Peace

Actually did get me knickers in a twist today .... got both legs in the same hole after swimming ... LOL.

To be honest, in retrospect, do owe you a slight apology. You have done your best to encourage our members to take an interest in local history through your little puzzles, etc .. even though I went nearly bald trying to solve them ....
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 15:42   #125
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

know very little about the history of accy, mainly due i suppose to not having any interest when younger, or time, love it now n am fascinated by much of the stuff posted on here. suppose thats cos i'm old knackered n got time.
Old 25-10-2010, 16:42   #126
Always EVIL within us

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
[Just to put you all out of your misery, you wont find it on any modern photo, or on the spurious web sites on goggle, its been long gone.

The Slaters Arms was at 21 Whalley Rd, in 1869 the landlord was William Wilkinson.

Retlaw
You are right Retlaw - except that the address listed in the company Directory in the reference section of Accy library says that it is No. 23. Maybe it covered both addresses in it's day
Old 25-10-2010, 16:51   #127
Always EVIL within us

As you are all in a detective mood, try this one. What is this building NOW?

If you have inside knowledge Retlaw, give the other members a chance to suss it out please?

Last edited by Busman747; 25-10-2010 at 16:54.
Busman747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 17:34   #128

Is it Burnley Road? I don't live in Accrington now, and not sure what is there at the moment..but hope to visit very soon
AccyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 17:36   #129
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Actually did get me knickers in a twist today .... got both legs in the same hole after swimming ... LOL.

Doe's my bum look big in this.

To be honest, in retrospect, do owe you a slight apology. You have done your best to encourage our members to take an interest in local history through your little puzzles, etc .. even though I went nearly bald trying to solve them ....
Yes.
Retlaw.
Old 25-10-2010, 18:03   #130
Always EVIL within us

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyGirl View Post
Is it Burnley Road? I don't live in Accrington now, and not sure what is there at the moment..but hope to visit very soon
Nice one Accygirl.
Old 25-10-2010, 18:04   #131
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Would it be where "Age Concern" is now Busman? old gas showrooms in a prior age.
Old 25-10-2010, 18:47   #132
Senior Member+

Thanks for info on the Slaters Arms. Next question, where about does Whalley road start?
Does it start at the top of the bus station road or opposite the Broadway. I may be able to work out where the pub was if I knew the answer. I don't intend making a trip into Accrington just to find out when we have such knowledgeable members of the forum to help me out.
Old 25-10-2010, 19:09   #133
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
Thanks for info on the Slaters Arms. Next question, where about does Whalley road start?
Does it start at the top of the bus station road or opposite the Broadway. I may be able to work out where the pub was if I knew the answer. I don't intend making a trip into Accrington just to find out when we have such knowledgeable members of the forum to help me out.
Whalley Rd starts at the top of Peel St, and on the other side it starts at the bottom of Avenue Parade.

Retlaw.
Old 25-10-2010, 19:12   #134
JCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
According to Shurmer's Guide , it starts where Abbey St ends , at the junction with Peel St , the bus station road .
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 19:57   #135
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post
According to Shurmer's Guide , it starts where Abbey St ends , at the junction with Peel St , the bus station road .
Whats all the discusion for, its already been answered as to where Whalley Rd starts, and the location for Slaters Arms. Just in case it still hasn't sunk in, look at the attached map.

Retlaw.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Accrington 1909.jpg (360.0 KB, 75 views)

Last edited by Retlaw; 25-10-2010 at 20:00.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..