Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-10-2010, 20:44   #1
Always EVIL within us

Talking Accy Old Photo's - John Kelly's Album

I was recently priviledged to view a marvellous collection of old photo's from Mr. John Kelly, local fire fighter (retired), and he has kindly given his permission for me to put a selection on the Accy web.

There are so many that I am going to "drip-feed" them on this thread and invite comments as we go.

To start with, these maps show Accrington in 1849

There is a current thread concerning the Railway station and how it is going to look, this is how it did look!

...........and finally (for now) can anybody remember the "British Restaurant"?

Old 15-10-2010, 22:00   #2

Re: Accy Old Photo's - John Kelly's Album

Thanks
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2010, 23:57   #3
Senior Member+

In the basement of Accrington Town Hall is a "museum" which saddens me that it is NO LONGER open to the public. Up and till a few years ago, this museum was open to members of the public on the Heritage Open days. Dont think the Council class the basement as being safe any more for people to go into. Great pity! Included were many items which related to the war years, an old Accrington bus ticket machine plus many more items of local interest. Amongst this "memorabilia" are some large mugs which came from The British Restaurant on Paradise Street which Busman747 mentions. (I have one myself). I would love to see this place opened again, but .... probably cost comes into it to make it safe.

And ... I think you will find our Retlaw was greatly connected with the first map you show.

Heritage Open Days - About

Last edited by Atarah; 16-10-2010 at 00:00.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2010, 07:24   #4
Give, give, give member

Very interesting.

Looking forward to seeing more.

Last edited by garinda; 16-10-2010 at 07:30.
garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2010, 07:28   #5
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
In the basement of Accrington Town Hall is a "museum" which saddens me that it is NO LONGER open to the public. Up and till a few years ago, this museum was open to members of the public on the Heritage Open days. Dont think the Council class the basement as being safe any more for people to go into. Great pity! Included were many items which related to the war years, an old Accrington bus ticket machine plus many more items of local interest. Amongst this "memorabilia" are some large mugs which came from The British Restaurant on Paradise Street which Busman747 mentions. (I have one myself). I would love to see this place opened again, but .... probably cost comes into it to make it safe.

And ... I think you will find our Retlaw was greatly connected with the first map you show.

Heritage Open Days - About
It is a great pity.

Are the exhibits survivors from the old museum, that weren't thrown on the dump?

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...tip-51518.html

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2010, 08:46   #6
Resting in Peace

The photos of the station bring back lots of memories, looking forward to more
Old 16-10-2010, 10:03   #7
God Member

That's a nice piccy of 'The Flying Scotsman' coming through Accy...I wonder what year?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2010, 11:30   #8
I am Banned

Map no 1 of Accrington 1849 is a copy of the one I drew some 20 years ago, I still have the original.
Retlaw.

Last edited by Retlaw; 16-10-2010 at 11:32.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2010, 12:20   #9
I am Banned

Attached is a map of Accrington in 1784. I drew this not long after the 1st one, from information supplied by Brian Ashton the former head of Accrington Library. The red line denotes the boundry between the Old Hold of Accrington & the New Hold of Accrington.

Retlaw.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Accrington 1784.jpg (253.0 KB, 181 views)
Old 16-10-2010, 14:12   #10
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Attached is a map of Accrington in 1784.

Retlaw.
There wasn't much of it, was there?
I notice the River Hyndburn was Accrington Brook then, so where did 'Hyndburn' come from?
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2010, 15:14   #11
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
There wasn't much of it, was there?
I notice the River Hyndburn was Accrington Brook then, so where did 'Hyndburn' come from?
Thats only as it was shown on local maps of the time.
It was known as the Hyndburn way back in the 1100's,
was possibly named as such pre Norman times, for they used all the names that were currently in use when they parcelled out the land of what is now Lancashire, amongst William the 1st's cronies. I think you will find I've already posted some of the old land deeds in other threads

Retlaw.
Old 16-10-2010, 17:11   #12
Always EVIL within us

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Map no 1 of Accrington 1849 is a copy of the one I drew some 20 years ago, I still have the original.
Retlaw.
I hope that I'm not stepping on toes re: copyright Retlaw, I asked John but due to age and illness, he was a little woolly regarding ownership of originals. I am aware that Owd Bert has contributed to his album and I have his permission. and he tells me that John took many of the photo's that you are about to see in this thread
Old 16-10-2010, 17:44   #13
Always EVIL within us

This next section should be of great interest to Accyweb members, it's PUBS

Who has had (or remembered) a good night out in:

The Brigade Inn
The Horseshoe
The Bridge Inn
Slaters Arms
Australian Inn
or the Malbrough Working Mens Club?? (I wonder if that should not be Marlbough W.M,Club?)

Trying to work out what van that is above, could it be the Ford Squire? the forerunner to the Popular and Prefect?

Old 16-10-2010, 17:51   #14
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Good to see, I do enjoy old photo's of places regardless of where ever it may be.
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2010, 18:07   #15
Senior Member+

Did the working men have to share their club with cows, or was it what we now call a 'barn conversion'? The Slaters Arms looks like it was boarded up, if the pubs in Accrington are closing as fast as they are round here these photos will soon be all we have to remember them by.
More,please.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..