Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-08-2011, 08:14   #16
I am Banned

Re: Air raid shelter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
In my opinion, Riley's Hill is near the junction of Nuttall St & Bath St, at the back of what was Highams' Woodnook Mill. Riley St is at the top of the hill. It is likely so called because the Riley family owned land there, at the very edge of Royd's land which covered most of Woodnook. Near to this site - I don;'t know exactly where the shelter was -is a triangular piece of land between Bath St, Nuttall St & Marsden St which was called 'The Flat Iron'
Yes, thats were i think it is Bob, though we also called the black path that came down from Bullough park to Perth.st Rileys hill, but then again it is the same hill really
groove is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-08-2011, 08:43   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove View Post
Thanks everyone for your replys...it was GDM27's post that first alerted me to this so hopefully he will come on and see this thread...thanks again
Find the thread posted the other day by the metal detecting guy, maybe he can dig up the info you require
odders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2011, 08:49   #18
Resting in Peace

Back in the sixties and seventies there were two on Immanuel Cricket field on New Lane Ossy, when I was groundsman there in the late sixties for a couple of seasons we used one as the grounds mans hut, think they were demolished in the nineties if not before
Old 27-08-2011, 08:54   #19

There was another just off Manchester Road. It was behind the long wall across from Oak Hill Park, between the Park and Broad Oak. Fairly close to 85 Manchester Road. It disappeared sometime in the early to mid 70's
MovedtoBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2011, 08:59   #20
God Member

Note to Moderators ....another screwed up thread , going to the last posted instead of the last post read
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2011, 09:38   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
Note to Moderators ....another screwed up thread , going to the last posted instead of the last post read
Very helpful

Go to the thread about these problems, I am sure this is a regular fault, I think jaysay started the thread, asking what was the problem Search and you probably find the answers
Old 27-08-2011, 09:53   #22
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by odders View Post
Very helpful

Go to the thread about these problems, I am sure this is a regular fault, I think jaysay started the thread, asking what was the problem Search and you probably find the answers
Some times its one individual thread which is at fault, but not for everybody, this particular thread is fine for me, went strait to the last unread post
Old 27-08-2011, 10:02   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Some times its one individual thread which is at fault, but not for everybody, this particular thread is fine for me, went strait to the last unread post
Same here, but why tell it on a thread that has nothing to do with the problem, tell the mods that is why we have them
Old 27-08-2011, 10:03   #24
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by odders View Post
Same here, but why tell it on a thread that has nothing to do with the problem, tell the mods that is why we have them
Can't fault that
Old 27-08-2011, 18:01   #25
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove View Post
well.....thanks for your help (said in a sarcastic manner)....is this information classified under the M.O.D official secrets act, or is it that im not part of the older generation type of clique on here that delight in putting other people correct. Iv read this forum for years now and as an amateur historian fascinated by local history delight in hearing about Accringtons history so i thank you for that....Anyway, were was this bleeding air raid shelter, i cant wait to tell my mates in the pub about it as local history is a subject we regularly discuss haha. Thankyou, GROOVE
It isn't Ask Jeeves.

With answers supplied instantaneously.

Someone will probably know exactly where it was.

Could take a few hours, a few months, or even a few years. But someone's bound to be able to help you.

In the meantime, just sit patiently under the stairs, wearing your gas mask.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2011, 19:17   #26

Can remember the air raid shelter situated at the top of Hopwood St.I wouldn't call that Riley's Hill really. Riley's hill to me was at the end of Marsden St where I lived opposite the smoothing iron.
The air raid shelter us kids accessed went around in a circle and was full of fungus's growing.We did guided tours for other curious kids and we kept the off licence on Marsden St richer in funds with all the candles we bought.The fun part was getting halfway around and blowing the candles out to set the girls screaming. Naturally....we had to comfort them.
Happy days.....
talentedbutslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2011, 19:18   #27

Correction........top of Lydia St
talentedbutslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2011, 19:28   #28
Senior Member+

Today I spoke to a chap from Burnley. He has recently seen the minutes of Burnley Council from wartime days. They included a folding map showing the locations of shelters., Perhaps there was one published by Accrington Corporation. I have never seen one in the library but haven't looked in depth at the minutes books.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2017, 12:46   #29

I know that this thread is a few years old but you were all talking about the air raid shelter at the end of Perth Street on the path that leads up to Bullough Park. Well in the late fifties, early sixties there was a concrete slab that used to 'Fall off' and you could access the shelter, I was in it many times but never actually circumnavigated it, because we used to scare each other in to believing that someone would come and block the entrance!! I do remember it went in two directions, the right hand passage went a lot further than the left. The council did used to come and regularly cement the concrete slab back in place but quite often it 'fell off' again. Having seen this thread I went up the other day to have a look and it is all overgrown but still there! So if anyone fancies a bit of a dig, i'd certainly be up for it!
TAYLORD likes this.
dublomad is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..