Accrington Web
   

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.


Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!



Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-07-2015, 10:59   #1
Full Member
 

Alice Street toilets crime

Has anybody any recollection of an offence committed against a young boy in the toilets near the corner of Alice Street and Burnley Road? I seem to recollect that it was in about 1948, and that he had his hands cut off. I remember my mother warning me against using the toilets, and that there were posters displayed giving information about what had happened.
Balbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 26-07-2015, 15:32   #2
Senior Member+
 

Re: Alice Street toilets crime

You may be referring to a murder in 1948 that occurred at Farnworth. The lad was called Jack Quentin Smith . I too remember the posters. They were in all toilets, not just Alice St. I do not recall any major crime occurring there.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2015, 15:09   #3
Senior Member
 

Re: Alice Street toilets crime

April 1948 News of the World offered 500 for information leading to the arrest of the murderer of 11-year-old John Quentin Smith, who was waylaid and stabbeed while returning from school on April 12 in Farnworth, Lancashire. On May 2 that year the offer wsa increased to 1,000.
No payment made.
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2015, 15:11   #4
Senior Member
 

Re: Alice Street toilets crime

Quentin Smith
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2015, 15:19   #5
I am Banned
 

Re: Alice Street toilets crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balbus View Post
Has anybody any recollection of an offence committed against a young boy in the toilets near the corner of Alice Street and Burnley Road? I seem to recollect that it was in about 1948, and that he had his hands cut off. I remember my mother warning me against using the toilets, and that there were posters displayed giving information about what had happened.
Probably cross linking the case in Accy there's a thread on here "The Lady with no Hands. Whether to frighten the bejasus out of you Balbus from loitering in toilets or Chinese whispers I wouldn't know. extract below:

The Lady with no hands
does anyone remember or have any information on:

Agnes Rhodes Wildman... she lived in the Barnfield area of Accrington:

This is the lady that had her hands cut off by her step-father ( John Whalley) 1923 at the time they lived on Victoria Street Accrington:

Her mother was called Maud:
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 23:59   #6
Junior Member
 

Re: Alice Street toilets crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
You may be referring to a murder in 1948 that occurred at Farnworth. The lad was called Jack Quentin Smith . I too remember the posters. They were in all toilets, not just Alice St. I do not recall any major crime occurring there.
Hi Bob,

Jack Quentin Smith is my uncle. My fathers brother. I have searched Quentin's Murder for years, with not much luck with information. Is there a way I could contact you please?
Miffy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 07:55   #7
Senior Member+
 

Re: Alice Street toilets crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miffy77 View Post
Hi Bob,

Jack Quentin Smith is my uncle. My fathers brother. I have searched Quentin's Murder for years, with not much luck with information. Is there a way I could contact you please?
I will send you a PM (private message) you will receive notification
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2017, 15:19   #8
Senior Member+
 

Re: Alice Street toilets crime

I have just messaged Miffy77
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 10:16   #9
Junior Member
 

Re: Alice Street toilets crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
I will send you a PM (private message) you will receive notification
Hi Bob, Quentin was my husband's uncle, I'd love to know more about this. Could you please PM me the details?

Cheers
ChewBekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 10:17   #10
Junior Member
 

Re: Alice Street toilets crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miffy77 View Post
Hi Bob,

Jack Quentin Smith is my uncle. My fathers brother. I have searched Quentin's Murder for years, with not much luck with information. Is there a way I could contact you please?
Hi Miffy, I've sent you a PM.
ChewBekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools



Other sites of interest.. More town sites..




All times are GMT. The time now is 13:11.


2003-2013 AccringtonWeb.com


Page generated in 0.18960 seconds with 11 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1