Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2009, 10:28   #31

Re: Alma Inn Baxenden

Incidentally for those who may be interested the Alma site can be found on www.Almainnonline.co.uk
It is still being developed ,so be kind!
Lampman is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-12-2009, 23:41   #32
Senior Member+

Re Isolation hospital. I was always led to believe you could get to it down a pathway off Hollins Lane, where you can see an old "stone" (boundary type stone) - cant think what you call them. This stone (marker of some description) is on the grass verge, approx. near 3rd or 4th house down from Hollins School. Think it could be got to down a "path" there.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 23:47   #33
Senior Member+

I knew I had a piccy somewhere. Here is it. If you take a walk up Hollins Lane and find this stone, you will notice there is still an old pathway (now fenced off) near by. This is what I understand to be the way to the old hospital.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Boundarystonejuly2004.jpg (206.9 KB, 49 views)
Old 02-12-2009, 06:39   #34
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Not sure what this means Lampman, but he could have been the Landlord in 1916

'12/02/1916 Richard Howarth Half A Century Of Licensing Administration In Accrington, New Accrington Alma Inn, Manchester Road Baxenden'

Would have to look at the newspaper article to confirm.
Took a look at this article in the library ... even though was this date ... it showed a list of landlords and pubs in 1869, so the above gentleman was the landlord then.

Also wondered how the patients in hospitals were recorded in a census. The one I got from the 1911 census only showed the caretaker and his family, as my previous post.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 21:49   #35

has anybody got any pics of the cottages that were next to the alma ?
scoot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 18:05   #36
Junior Member+

lived up bash all my life , the small pox building is at the back of hollins school , it is (was) built out of accy nori , use to be a good place to play , when we were young (38) now
stellaahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 20:05   #37
Senior Member+

Hi Stellaahh, can you explain just whereabouts it was, and how you got to it. That would be interesting.
Old 05-12-2009, 16:30   #38
Junior Member+

go to hill street in bash ,next to the alma ,its an unmade rd , at the bottom turn right , walkin towards accy . next you will come to a gate on your right (3 mins or so) through the gate then right again (you should be in a field ) another 20 meters and you will see it . if you have a dog tis a good walk enjoy stellaahh
stellaahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 16:26   #39

One further question about the Alma,I'm told the Clegg family ran it between 1970-1983 with 5 sons all who still live in Baxenden.
Who was the Landlord?
Old 11-12-2009, 09:35   #40
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampman View Post
One further question about the Alma,I'm told the Clegg family ran it between 1970-1983 with 5 sons all who still live in Baxenden.
Who was the Landlord?
The Landlord was called Harris Clegg, can't remember all the names of his sons but they were all involved with Bash Cricket club too, There was David, Peter (who worked for HBC) but can't for the life in me remember the others. Harris was a Scot, I used the pub quite a lot in those days as I worked for Arnold Rileys and my mate used it as his local
Old 11-12-2009, 10:15   #41
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
The Landlord was called Harris Clegg, can't remember all the names of his sons but they were all involved with Bash Cricket club too, There was David, Peter (who worked for HBC) but can't for the life in me remember the others. Harris was a Scot, I used the pub quite a lot in those days as I worked for Arnold Rileys and my mate used it as his local
Paul was another one - can't remember the others' names.
Old 11-12-2009, 15:28   #42
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Paul was another one - can't remember the others' names.
Think another may have been called Andrew but not sure
Old 11-12-2009, 15:58   #43

Thanks for the replies I will add it to the information page for the pub.
Old 16-12-2009, 18:11   #44
spw

Spotted this when searching for Fig Pie Hall and felt the need to add the following to the mill.

I was told as a child (b1952) that my Great, Great Grandfather, Richard Haworth was, the first landlord of the Alma before moving on to the Black Horse in Abbey Street.

In 1861 and 1871 Census he is listed as beer seller at Fig Pie Hall. In 1881 and 1891 Census he is Landlord at the Black Horse.

He was living a Fig Pie Hall in 1851 when a John Haworth (no relation as far as I know) is listed as beer seller but that would have been prior to the Alma name.

My aunt remembers her Grandmother telling her she was born at Magpie Hall (1860).
spw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2009, 18:39   #45
Resting in Peace

That's amazing spw ... how people turn up like this on a thread.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..