Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-12-2009, 22:50   #46
I am Banned

Re: Alma Inn Baxenden

Quote:
Originally Posted by spw View Post
Spotted this when searching for Fig Pie Hall and felt the need to add the following to the mill.

I was told as a child (b1952) that my Great, Great Grandfather, Richard Haworth was, the first landlord of the Alma before moving on to the Black Horse in Abbey Street.

In 1861 and 1871 Census he is listed as beer seller at Fig Pie Hall. In 1881 and 1891 Census he is Landlord at the Black Horse.

He was living a Fig Pie Hall in 1851 when a John Haworth (no relation as far as I know) is listed as beer seller but that would have been prior to the Alma name.

My aunt remembers her Grandmother telling her she was born at Magpie Hall (1860).
If you read Ainsworths crap he says Magpie/Figpie/Hagpie Hall [it has been called all these names] was knocked down to make way for the Alma.

Magpie/Figpie/Hagpie Hall was next to Astins Farm at Lane Ends, the Haworth Art Gallery now occupies the site of what used to be Magpie/Figpie/Hagpie Hall.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-01-2010, 16:25   #47
spw

The landlord in 1881 was Roger Hargreaves. His wife Betsy Ann was the daughter of the aforementioned Richard Haworth’s wife Mary Pilling. Betsy Ann’s birth was registered in 1849, Richard and Mary’s marriage in 1851. Nothing changes! Censuses for 1851, 1861 and 1871 show Betsy Ann as Betsy Ann Haworth. Photos of Roger and Betsy Ann attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Roger_Hargreaves.jpg (157.8 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg BetsyAnn_Hargreaves.jpg (177.8 KB, 13 views)
spw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2010, 14:14   #48

A belated thank you for the photos!
For some reason the site has stopped notifying me of thread answers
Lampman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2010, 14:52   #49
God Member

Just out of interest, the first ever VC awarded was done so for an action at Alma. It's coming up for sale next month - guide price 120K. I suspect it will go for more.

Here's the link:

http://www.spink.com/asp/fullCatalog...refno=11555096

Last edited by Tealeaf; 29-03-2010 at 14:58.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2010, 09:28   #50

Spw,thanks again for the photographs I have added them to the Alma site,I wonder how many more old photos are out there?
More additions would be gratefully accepted.
Old 20-05-2010, 10:28   #51

My great uncle, Jim Wilkinson was the landlord at the Alma for many years in the 1940s and 50s. He lived there with my great Aunt Madge. For some time, his mother also lived there with them. Uncle Jimmy was a strong character who was more than capable of sorting out fights! He prided himself on keeping big open fires going in each room in order to attract in the punters. When I was a kid, walking around Baxenden with him, everyone seemed to know him! He would wear a cloth cap and they would say 'how do, Jim', I remember. Much missed.
Waterworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2010, 16:30   #52

Thanks for that Waterworth,the pub is still a popular venue for Bash dwellers!
Old 22-05-2010, 17:08   #53

Talking with my mother today, we think that Uncle Jimmy (Wilkinson) was the landlord from the 1930s to the 1960s. He was a tattler (?) in a cotton mill but had a heart condition so became a pub landlord instead! He lived on Ashworth Street, Baxenden until he died in his 80s. Somewhere we have a photo of him and his mother behind the bar in the Alma. I think that he told me that the pub had small rooms which had been knocked through after he left. Doesn't anyone remember him or has too much time gone by?
Waterworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2010, 10:05   #54

Thanks again Waterworth,I think the pub was extended by knocking through into the neighbouring property.
Coincidently my Grandfather's family lived in Ashworth Street for a time after 'emigrating'from Cambridgeshire.
Old 30-07-2010, 14:38   #55

Any idea why Bramwood Cottage (189 Hollins Lane) is the funny shape it is? What was there next to Alma before it was built?
(My grandparents used to live there)
Mike
MIKEJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2011, 16:00   #56
Senior Member+

Hi I have noticed "activity" on the land next to The Alma pub, Baxenden, all marked off. I have heard there is to be a memorial there for the Baxenden Cllr. who died towards the end of last year.

A newspaper article quoted "Cllr. John Griffiths was a great councillor for Baxenden but he also had a very astute and active mind. He was the wise man of the Conservatives in Hyndburn and he will be very sorely missed.”
The borough’s MP Graham Jones said: “John was hard-working and cared for Baxenden. He deserves lasting recognition.”
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 20:11   #57
spw

For the record, the obituary of Richard Haworth published in the Observer of 4 June 1910states :-

‘When he lived at the beerhouse, now “The Alma” the property of which it was part was called Robin Field Nook’
spw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2014, 16:49   #58
Junior Member+

i think i can help filling the gaps here if you like you can message me i know who sarah ratcliffe and i can help further as to her family tree and previous landlords
debra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2014, 16:49   #59

I lived at 380 Manchester Rd - at the bottom of our garden was what used to be a 2 storey stable block which had been on the deeds as being owned by the Alma.
In the late 40's the 2nd storey was pulled down as it was becoming unsafe. It was made fully weather proof again and used as a store by the Alma.

If you look very carefully at the back of the Alma (standing on Hollins Lane) - you can make out the original building is still there. It is the lower part of the Alma (small windows, one above the other) - when Manchester Rd was being built the row of terrace house (now including the Alma) were built upon it. When the pub decided to become larger - it purchased the 1st of the newer houses on that little block and knocked through into the original pub (beer house) - the beer laws were passed in the 1830's to try and stop the spread of 'gin houses'.
jc6656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 09:10   #60

I am researching all pubs and shops in Baxenden since 1800's Has anyone any info ple4ase
joyceteasdale is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..