Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-11-2009, 21:37   #1

Alma Inn Baxenden

I am attempting to research the history of the Alma Inn,has anyone any information on past landlords etc?
Lampman is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-11-2009, 08:56   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Alma Inn Baxenden

This info is from a local history walk by the Hyndburn Society.
The Alma Inn, built around 1820, believed to be named aftr a Crimean War battle. It is built on the site of the former Magpie Hall. To the rear of the pub, was Fig Pie Hall pit. Hollins Lane was the old road to Manchester prior to the construction of Manchester Road in 1790-91 by Blind Jack O'Knaresborough.
Any help?
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2009, 09:53   #3
Resting in Peace

Only know a couple of Landlords at the Alma, Harris Clegg a Scotchman had a few sons one of which was Peter worked for HBC, he was in the Alma during the seventies and early eighties, In the mid-eighties John Preston took the licence, John hailed from Burnley, was an ex-merchant seaman who previously had the Coach and Horses on Haslingden Old Road Oswaldtwistle
Old 19-11-2009, 10:22   #4
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
This info is from a local history walk by the Hyndburn Society.
The Alma Inn, built around 1820, believed to be named aftr a Crimean War battle. It is built on the site of the former Magpie Hall. To the rear of the pub, was Fig Pie Hall pit. Hollins Lane was the old road to Manchester prior to the construction of Manchester Road in 1790-91 by Blind Jack O'Knaresborough.
Any help?
That bit about Magpie Hall is some more of Ainsworths fiction, Magpie Hall was no where near the Alma, and there were no buildings in that area when Blind Jack built Manchester Road.

Magpie Hall is in the 1841/51/61/71 cenus returns. Haworth Art Gallery now stands on the site, which was next to Astins Farm, and was incorporated into the grounds of the Haworth

Retlaw
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2009, 10:56   #5
Senior Member+

Dont know whether you are right or wrong on posting no. 4, but my ancestors lived at Lane End Farm. I have always been led to believe that this farm was incorporated into the grounds of Haworth Art Gallery.
Old 19-11-2009, 14:10   #6

Thanks for the input,I am researching this for the new licencees,who will be having a website with news of the pub.
One of the pieces of info I have is is that the 'beerseller'was a Sarah Ratcliffe who was 5o years of age in the 1901 census.She lived there along with her cousin Sarah Haworth age 26 years and lodger John Riley age 66 years.
I think this was before the property was extended by knocking through to the next door premises. Any further help would be apreciated.
Old 19-11-2009, 14:27   #7
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampman View Post
Thanks for the input,I am researching this for the new licencees,who will be having a website with news of the pub.
One of the pieces of info I have is is that the 'beerseller'was a Sarah Ratcliffe who was 5o years of age in the 1901 census.She lived there along with her cousin Sarah Haworth age 26 years and lodger John Riley age 66 years.
I think this was before the property was extended by knocking through to the next door premises. Any further help would be apreciated.
In August 1916. Mrs Loynd, Alma Inn, Baxenden was informed that her son John Anderton of the M.G.C., had D.O.W. July 14th 1916 (19)
John's father had died in 1900 and she married
Arthur Loynd. John's name is on the Baxenden War Memorial.
Retlaw.
Old 19-11-2009, 14:30   #8

Thanks for that Retlaw!
Old 19-11-2009, 16:43   #9
Senior Member+

Do you know Dave Ratcliffe who lives up Bash? His Mum lived to a ripe old age and only died relatively recently, having lived in Bash all her life. You never know, that family could be related to the Ratcliffe you mention in 1901.
Old 19-11-2009, 22:23   #10
I am Banned

Further to this question re the Alma Inn.

If you read that tripe by Ainsworth in his Old Home Steads he contradicts himself.
First he says he knew nothing about Magpie Hall,
till he met an old Baxenden resident.

Then goes on to say the buildings were demolished to make way for Manchester Rd, built by Blind Jack in 1791/2
That resident must have been bluudy old, 115 years after it was supposed to have been demolished.
Ainsworth wrote that tripe in 1928, in one sentence he says it was where the Alma Inn was, then in another sentence he says it was at Lane Ends, Lane Ends is a good 500 yards North of the Alma.

Magpie Hall is shown in the 1841/51/61/71/ census returns, a good 150 year after Ainsworth says it was demolished.
Don't blindly accept what ainsworth says, look at maps and census, and his stuff can be torn to shreds. He was a reporter for the Accy Observer their maxim as always, why let the truth get in the way of a good story.

In those days very few pepole had the knowledge to refute his statements, & the census details were not yet avalaible.

From the 1848 ordnance survey, the area where the Alma was built, was called Robin Field Nook.

The site of Magpie Hall is now occupied by The Haworth Art Gallery.

Retlaw.
Old 22-11-2009, 17:12   #11

Sorry for the delay in replying,I presume the Alma was named after the Crimean War Battle of Alma in 1854,if that is so then the the pub(as named )must post date the battle.
I know the future Landlord wll be asking his regulars for information,best start early in the evening I think!
Old 23-11-2009, 17:46   #12
God Member

...except the architectural style of the pub is very much 1850/60's. Just like the Blockade Pub - now offices, but also named after a Crimean War episode.

By the way - here is one for Retlaw. Which Accy/Hyndburn pub lost the most people - not regulars, but staff/landlords family in WW1? I know there were two killed from the Cross Guns in Church. Any pub with more?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2009, 12:20   #13

I have two further questions: Any information on Fig Pie Hall coal mine started around 1825 and adandoned in the early 1900's.
Secondly any details about the Smallpox Hospital which was run by Accrington Corporation and was situated in Baxenden in the early 1900's?
Old 29-11-2009, 12:34   #14
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampman View Post
Secondly any details about the Smallpox Hospital which was run by Accrington Corporation and was situated in Baxenden in the early 1900's?
I wondered about that too Lampman .. is an entry in Hyndburn Timeline saying smallpox hospital was built in 1903 and treated 86 cases.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2009, 12:36   #15

Thanks for that input every bit helps!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..