Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2009, 18:47   #1
Senior Member+

Ancestors who were transported to Australia.

Just wondered if any of our members have connections with the poor folk who were transported in the early 1800's to Australia for various reasons. The "crimes" ranged from stealing money (more than one shilling) to murder. A convict lost his possessions and status in England. Many of these so called convicts made an honest living abroad. The Public Record Office at Kew has information which includes shipping lists and various publications. Some of the records in Australia were destroyed by early descendants of convicts, who thought that knowledge of their origin might damage their respectability. There was a lass from the Haslingden area who was named MARY HINDLE - she got "involved" in the Plug Loom Riots and was made to leave these shores on the ship THE HARMONY - (the Mary Hindle centre in Haslingden being named after her). I have ancestors from Haslingden, named Hindle and thought it would be interesting to try and find a link, but alas, havent done as yet. I found a rather wonderfully titled book which gives amazing information on some of the poor folk. The book is called "Notorious Strumpets and Dangerous Girls" - convict women in Van Diemen's Land 1803-1829. The Harmony made its second and final voyage as a convict ship in Sept 1828. All of her 100 convict passengers survived the voyage. e.g. Margaret Anderson, Police no 50, Transport for - Theft, Goal report - bad character and disposition, Trade - Servant of all work, Literacy - can read only, Height 5 ft 10in, Age 28, Head Oval, Hair brown, Forehead Narrow, Eyebrows Brown, Eyes Hazel, Nose Medium Lgth, Mouth medium width, Lost one front tooth, chin medium lgth, Remarks natural brown marks like Raspberries inside left arm.

Who knows, some of us could have ancestors who too were sent to Australia.

JoyZine - Australia - Penal Colonies: Convict Women
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-08-2009, 19:28   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: Ancestors who were transported to Australia.

Such a shame no experiences here Atarah ... was really looking forward to replies. I can't help I'm afraid, and maybe families didn't pass down the stories 'out of shame' do you think ?

Perhaps you could join an Australian site and ask there .. then come back with their anecdotes; sure there will be loads...
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 19:41   #3
God Member

my dads cousin was sent to Australia in the 70's....but that was for something completely different
Old 11-08-2009, 06:15   #4

Check out Port Arthur Tasmania, at wikapedia, gives you a brief history and also Sahra Island, also links.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 13:58   #5

I Googled Mary Hindle and came up with lots about her including a book called Riot by William Turner.This turns out to be our own Late Bill Turner of Accrington Pals fame. It tells how Mary was convicted for breaking Power Looms. She was sentenced to death but this was commuted to Transportation for life.
When I was researching my Family Tree I came across a descendant of my wife who was sent to New Zealand about 1820.I have been in touch with his Great Great Grandson in New Zealand.
Jim Procter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 22:35   #6

There has been a tv series on recently regarding the workhouse. On there it was mentioned that a lot of the Dr Banardos kids were shipped off to Oz and also that there was a public apology from the government (Gordon Brown being PM) about the treatment of the children and the devestation this enforced emigration caused the families. I wonder if any of this is relevant to anyone in Accrington, or perhaps relevant to Atarah's research?
bekibird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2013, 07:19   #7
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
Just wondered if any of our members have connections with the poor folk who were transported in the early 1800's to Australia for various reasons. The "crimes" ranged from stealing money (more than one shilling) to murder. A convict lost his possessions and status in England. Many of these so called convicts made an honest living abroad. The Public Record Office at Kew has information which includes shipping lists and various publications. Some of the records in Australia were destroyed by early descendants of convicts, who thought that knowledge of their origin might damage their respectability. There was a lass from the Haslingden area who was named MARY HINDLE - she got "involved" in the Plug Loom Riots and was made to leave these shores on the ship THE HARMONY - (the Mary Hindle centre in Haslingden being named after her). I have ancestors from Haslingden, named Hindle and thought it would be interesting to try and find a link, but alas, havent done as yet. I found a rather wonderfully titled book which gives amazing information on some of the poor folk. The book is called "Notorious Strumpets and Dangerous Girls" - convict women in Van Diemen's Land 1803-1829. The Harmony made its second and final voyage as a convict ship in Sept 1828. All of her 100 convict passengers survived the voyage. e.g. Margaret Anderson, Police no 50, Transport for - Theft, Goal report - bad character and disposition, Trade - Servant of all work, Literacy - can read only, Height 5 ft 10in, Age 28, Head Oval, Hair brown, Forehead Narrow, Eyebrows Brown, Eyes Hazel, Nose Medium Lgth, Mouth medium width, Lost one front tooth, chin medium lgth, Remarks natural brown marks like Raspberries inside left arm.

Who knows, some of us could have ancestors who too were sent to Australia.

JoyZine - Australia - Penal Colonies: Convict Women
I can't tell you about my potential ancestor in Australia because it would it would reveal my identity and of course we all generally inhabit this place as anonymous people.
However, I understand one of mine captured a castle in Ireland in the time of Cromwell. I also understand that when Ned Kelly got shot to pieces there was my namesake in the cabin as a hostage and seeing a small boy in the crossfire between the massed ranks of the police and Kelly, he sprinted to the child scooped him up and ran as they say into the obscurity of history. It seems there are many on here who wish I would do the same.
Tesco Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2013, 07:26   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesco Rambler View Post
I can't tell you about my potential ancestor in Australia because it would it would reveal my identity and of course we all generally inhabit this place as anonymous people.
Thought yeh said there was no sense of humour on here? you sure got one.:rofl3 8:
Old 13-07-2013, 07:33   #9
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesco Rambler View Post
However, I understand one of mine captured a castle in Ireland in the time of Cromwell. I also understand that when Ned Kelly got shot to pieces there was my namesake in the cabin as a hostage and seeing a small boy in the crossfire between the massed ranks of the police and Kelly, he sprinted to the child scooped him up and ran as they say into the obscurity of history. It seems there are many on here who wish I would do the same.
And my grandfather won the first world war single handed but I don't have proof of that like you
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2013, 07:42   #10
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Thought yeh said there was no sense of humour on here? you sure got one.:rofl3 8:
If I didn't have the ability to take myself rather less than seriously there would be a new flood and I doubt Noah would make it.
Tesco Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2013, 00:23   #11

Atarah, go to the Hobart library, or Linc Tasmania site as it is now called, there are lots of interesting things on there. Mary Reibey, born molly Haydock, from Bury, was a convict, but made good in Tassie, My son and his wife got married in the mansion she & her husband built, called Entally House. Another Lancastrian, Mathew Brady, He was a bush ranger, was convicted and hanged here in Tassie. Lots of connections to good old Lancs .
Old 14-07-2013, 00:52   #12

Atarah, there is a Mary Hindle , Convict Records of Australia
Old 14-07-2013, 01:05   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin View Post
Atarah, go to the Hobart library, or Linc Tasmania site as it is now called, there are lots of interesting things on there. Mary Reibey, born molly Haydock, from Bury, was a convict, but made good in Tassie, My son and his wife got married in the mansion she & her husband built, called Entally House. Another Lancastrian, Mathew Brady, He was a bush ranger, was convicted and hanged here in Tassie. Lots of connections to good old Lancs .
Entally house was built by Mary Reiby's son Thomas not Mary.I am not sure whether Mary ever lived in Tassie. She is printed on the $20 note.
Aussie Irene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2013, 06:37   #14
Senior Member+

I have heard it said that Mary was a gregarious woman of gregarious,high spirit
- a sassy, Tassie lassie.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2013, 08:25   #15

I stand corrected should have googled to get the facts right , I was just going off hear say.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..