Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2009, 12:52   #1
Senior Member+

Anyone any memories of old Pitt Street

The smallest house in Great Britain can be found on the quayside at Conway, N Wales. Bet not many of you know that here in Accrington we also had such a tiny house.

Any of you remember Pitt Street, which used to be the name for the stretch of road behind the shops on Abbey Street, the side where the Arden Pub is. Eastgate is the name you will know it as. You will all know the alleyway now blocked off on Abbey Street (it faces the top end of Warner Street) - next to a dentists and a butty shop. That alleyway took you through to Pitt Street. We always used it when coming into town from Accy College (after having been studying shortand and typing!!! ). I really dont know how long this tiny house survived, but I dont think I would have liked to live in it (easy to clean though! ).

Anyone any memories of this area of town?

(There was also a very tiny house on the bend on Nuttall Street. It was "tucked back" from the road and was more of less facing the bottom windows of the Star Pub)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pittstreet1927.jpg (354.4 KB, 103 views)

Last edited by Atarah; 03-11-2009 at 12:54.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-11-2009, 13:21   #2
I am Banned

Re: Anyone any memories of old Pitt Street

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
The smallest house in Great Britain can be found on the quayside at Conway, N Wales. Bet not many of you know that here in Accrington we also had such a tiny house.

Any of you remember Pitt Street, which used to be the name for the stretch of road behind the shops on Abbey Street, the side where the Arden Pub is. Eastgate is the name you will know it as. You will all know the alleyway now blocked off on Abbey Street (it faces the top end of Warner Street) - next to a dentists and a butty shop. That alleyway took you through to Pitt Street. We always used it when coming into town from Accy College (after having been studying shortand and typing!!! ). I really dont know how long this tiny house survived, but I dont think I would have liked to live in it (easy to clean though! ).

Anyone any memories of this area of town?

(There was also a very tiny house on the bend on Nuttall Street. It was "tucked back" from the road and was more of less facing the bottom windows of the Star Pub)
There was also Higher Pitt St, from Plantation St to the junction with Pinch Belly Rd.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 13:52   #3
Senior Member+

Just found out that this small house was built inbetween the old block and the newer block of cottages. Originally there was a dyke here that divided the lands of the Peels and the Lee-Warners. The house in the photo was no 22 Pitt Street and at one time lived in by John Parkinson, once a Treasurer of the Accrington Naturalists Society. Here also was born Mr Henry Parkinson, "Accrington Friend and Wellwisher" - a great benefactor to our town. He was responsible for, amongst many others, the gardens and lily pond in Oak Hill Park c1932. Maybe you are a Parkinson? They could be your family!
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 18:30   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Don't recall that house, assume was on right hand side going up towards Plantation st. was a strange owd chap lived up top end on right in a large house, possibly was Higher Pitt st, which i'd forgot about until Retlaw mentioned, used to shout n chase us kids away if ever we were near his house, he also had "George Thompson" the local bobby after us on his pushbike, only memories i have atarah.
Old 03-11-2009, 18:47   #5
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Don't recall that house, assume was on right hand side going up towards Plantation st. was a strange owd chap lived up top end on right in a large house, possibly was Higher Pitt st, which i'd forgot about until Retlaw mentioned, used to shout n chase us kids away if ever we were near his house, he also had "George Thompson" the local bobby after us on his pushbike, only memories i have atarah.
Do you mean that strange chap who wore a pork pie hat, there was one who never spoke but was muttering to himself.
We used to think he was German spy.
Turns out he was a WW1 vet who suffered from shell shock.

Retlaw.

Ps I did a typo when I mentioned Pinch Belly Rd,
it should have been Pinch Belly Row.
Old 03-11-2009, 18:48   #6
Member.

My great grand parents live at No. 26 at the turn of the century and later at No.40 and my great uncle and his family live at No. 37.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 18:57   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Do you mean that strange chap who wore a pork pie hat, there was one who never spoke but was muttering to himself.
We used to think he was German spy.
Turns out he was a WW1 vet who suffered from shell shock.

Retlaw.

Ps I did a typo when I mentioned Pinch Belly Rd,
it should have been Pinch Belly Row.
always he seemed to have a blue top coat on, did wear a hat, what kind i can't remember now. n wouldn't have known anyway at that age.
Old 03-11-2009, 19:09   #8
I am Banned

Quote:
always he seemed to have a blue top coat on, did wear a hat, what kind i can't remember now. n wouldn't have known anyway at that age.
If we are talking about the same man, he lived in the Flea Pit at the end of Bunny's Back.

Retlaw.
Old 03-11-2009, 21:08   #9
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
If we are talking about the same man, he lived in the Flea Pit at the end of Bunny's Back.

Retlaw.
not sure about bunnys back,would that be the raggy back? with "Readers Rag shop half way up? if it was yon, that was "Owd Henry" who lived in the Rag Shop, different chap.
Old 03-11-2009, 21:23   #10
Resting in Peace

Sure I have seen another photograph of a very small house in Accrington .. can't remember where though ... tucked in a corner ?

In the meantime, whilst I ponder .. here is a 'photo of my bother and myself outside the house in Conway. That lady peering out of the door must have been quite small... probably why she got the job as the guide..

SmallHouse.jpg
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 21:49   #11
I am Banned

Quote:
not sure about bunnys back,would that be the raggy back? with "Readers Rag shop half way up? if it was yon, that was "Owd Henry" who lived in the Rag Shop, different chap.

No Reiders Rag Shop was actually 1/2 way up Back Water St, on the right. Bunny's Back ran from Birtwistle St to Higher Pitt St.
Retlaw.
Old 03-11-2009, 21:53   #12
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Sure I have seen another photograph of a very small house in Accrington .. can't remember where though ... tucked in a corner ?

In the meantime, whilst I ponder .. here is a 'photo of my bother and myself outside the house in Conway. That lady peering out of the door must have been quite small... probably why she got the job as the guide..

Attachment 14808
And now look at you. Thats what time does. My father used to say every woman gets the face she deserves by the time she's 30, and you've earned yours.

Retlaw

Last edited by Retlaw; 03-11-2009 at 21:57.
Old 03-11-2009, 22:09   #13
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
No Reiders Rag Shop was actually 1/2 way up Back Water St, on the right. Bunny's Back ran from Birtwistle St to Higher Pitt St.
Retlaw.
Ah know the one ya mean now, used that back frequently when i lived at "Black Annies" on Birtwistle st.
Old 03-11-2009, 22:33   #14
I am Banned

Quote:
Ah know the one ya mean now, used that back frequently when i lived at "Black Annies" on Birtwistle st.
OK, so now were both singing from the same hymm sheet. When you came out of Bunny''s Back and turned left into Higher Pitt St, the Flea Pit was on your left. What was that building originally called.

Retlaw.
Old 03-11-2009, 22:47   #15
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
OK, so now were both singing from the same hymm sheet. When you came out of Bunny''s Back and turned left into Higher Pitt St, the Flea Pit was on your left. What was that building originally called.

Retlaw.
Dunno but was the owd guy n eastern european or summat?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..