Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2009, 23:40   #16

Smile Re: Are You Related To The Bury Family From Church Area

[quote=Atarah;454737]HI, wonder if this rings any bells to anyone out there?

I am interested in tracing any descendants of John Bury, GGGf, born 1797, died 1842. Used to have a chemical works in Church. Was a staunch baptiist (buried Macphelah). Had 8X children, I believe.

One was Henry Bury, Antley Villa, and another Abraham Bury, who had a son called Herbert (Bishop Bury). My GGF was Benjamin Bury, JP, died 1916. Was told by my father that he was related to Arthur Smith Bury, JP, onetime Mayor of Accrington, but can't find any link. He used to live at Arden Hall (House?).

thanks
atarah

If you are a descendant of John Bury, it is fairly certain we are distantly related through his ancestor Henry Bury b1718 and Alice Holstad. One of John Bury's descendants was Benjamin Wilkinson JP owner of a chemical works in Oswaldtwistle.
Stan Wilkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-03-2009, 08:42   #17

Re: Are You Related To The Bury Family From Church Area

........ One of John Bury's descendants was Benjamin Wilkinson JP owner of a chemical works in Oswaldtwistle.

Could this be the same chemical works that Sir William Cocker owned? Were the partners in Cockers Chemicals?
Old 16-03-2009, 01:25   #18

[quote=Stan Wilkinson;688962]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
HI, wonder if this rings any bells to anyone out there?

I am interested in tracing any descendants of John Bury, GGGf, born 1797, died 1842. Used to have a chemical works in Church. Was a staunch baptiist (buried Macphelah). Had 8X children, I believe.

One was Henry Bury, Antley Villa, and another Abraham Bury, who had a son called Herbert (Bishop Bury). My GGF was Benjamin Bury, JP, died 1916. Was told by my father that he was related to Arthur Smith Bury, JP, onetime Mayor of Accrington, but can't find any link. He used to live at Arden Hall (House?).

thanks
atarah

If you are a descendant of John Bury, it is fairly certain we are distantly related through his ancestor Henry Bury b1718 and Alice Holstad. One of John Bury's descendants was Benjamin Wilkinson JP owner of a chemical works in Oswaldtwistle.
Old 16-03-2009, 01:28   #19

Benjamin Wilkinson J.P. owner of chemical works in Oswaldtwistle was my grandfather. He had 11 children and his wife's name was Elizabeth Haworth.
Old 26-03-2009, 19:31   #20

The gravestone for the Bury family is at New Lane Baptist Church, Oswaldtwistle. I have a list of the names if anyone wants it.
ploddingon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2009, 20:02   #21
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ploddingon View Post
The gravestone for the Bury family is at New Lane Baptist Church, Oswaldtwistle. I have a list of the names if anyone wants it.
Atarah and me photgraphed all those stones before they were moved, well I did the photography and Lizzie and a passing copper did the cleaning.

I also have a list of all the known burials in the old grave yard, and a list of the members of the old Macpelah Church.
Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2009, 22:19   #22

Does anyone know if there was an epidemic of some sort in the early 1840's? I'm particularly interested in John and Martha who died in March of that year and their son, John who died aged 23 in 1840.
Thanks in advance
ploddingon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 20:43   #23

Hi Atarah,

I was interested to hear you are related to Arthur Smith Bury. I live in Alberta, Canada, with my family, and am a Great Grandson of Arthur Smith Bury. My mum would visit Accrington in her youth, her mother is the late Amy Althea Bury of Newcastle, who was an avid chellist. I could find out information from my mum if you like. She and my father live in Nelson, British Columbia, Canada. They would both be very keen to share any info/experiences.

Sincerely,

Owen Thomas
JudithMiller likes this.
Owen Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 09:36   #24
Junior Member+

Hello Owen,

Many thanks for your reply. I'm actually not at all sure whether I am related to Atrhur Smith Bury. Am in touch with a relative of him in England, but she has not been able to find a link. I do know my father said there was a link and I remember visiting Arden House when 'a were a little lad up North'. Pleased to help you in any way I can.

Ydych chi yn siarad Cymraeg?

Best wishes, Henry
Henry Bury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 17:04   #25
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by ploddingon View Post
Does anyone know if there was an epidemic of some sort in the early 1840's? I'm particularly interested in John and Martha who died in March of that year and their son, John who died aged 23 in 1840.
Thanks in advance
Very interested/ John and Martha were my GGGPs. Don't know what they died of. Are you related to them?
Old 12-07-2009, 17:14   #26
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Atarah and me photgraphed all those stones before they were moved, well I did the photography and Lizzie and a passing copper did the cleaning.

I also have a list of all the known burials in the old grave yard, and a list of the members of the old Macpelah Church.
Retlaw.
Hello,

Would be most interested to see some of the photos of the gravestones, and would be willing to pay a modest sum for them. Am a Bury, my GGGPs were John nad Martha Bury.

Henry
Old 17-07-2009, 20:15   #27

Hi

I am at the early stages of discovering the Bury family tree. John Bury was my GGGgf, his son Benjamin was my GGgf and his son Abraham Thomas my Greatgf.

Any early Bury info would be appreaciated.

Philip
Philip Bury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2009, 16:50   #28

Hi
Benjamin Bury was also my GGgf. I am descended from his third son Abraham.
How are you related?

Philip
Philip Bury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2009, 15:22   #29

I am also interested in the bury family - I am 90 yrs of age and sure would like to find the page that ahd the entire family including Abraham , Herbert, Bishop but I can"t find it again . Could you help ? They were interested in the Macpelah church ? [email protected] USA
JudithMiller likes this.
kay t Gallagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2009, 20:54   #30
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Bury View Post
Hello,

Would be most interested to see some of the photos of the gravestones, and would be willing to pay a modest sum for them. Am a Bury, my GGGPs were John nad Martha Bury.

Henry
This is the only photo I can find of those grave markers from the old Macpelah Cemetery on Hyndburn Rd.
I have given them away over the years. I think one post mentions some of the names visible on the stone.
Retlaw.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bury's Macpelah..jpg (359.2 KB, 26 views)
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..