Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-08-2009, 22:02   #31
I am Banned

Re: Are You Related To The Bury Family From Church Area

Quote:
Originally Posted by kay t Gallagher View Post
I am also interested in the bury family - I am 90 yrs of age and sure would like to find the page that ahd the entire family including Abraham , Herbert, Bishop but I can"t find it again . Could you help ? They were interested in the Macpelah church ? [email protected] USA
Checked all my records for Baptists there is no Bishop or Herbert Bury.
I have one for Abraham
Born 25-12-1796 to John and Alice Bury of New Accrington, birth registered at Baptist Chapel 22-1-1797.

The Macpelah records show 101 entries for BURY, several of them were discharged to other chapels.

If a baptist left his parish to live elsewhere he would obtain a certificate of discharge and present it to a baptist church in his new parish.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-01-2010, 12:52   #32
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by ploddingon View Post
Does anyone know if there was an epidemic of some sort in the early 1840's? I'm particularly interested in John and Martha who died in March of that year and their son, John who died aged 23 in 1840.
Thanks in advance
Hello Ploddington,

John and Martha Bury are GGGPs of mine, so I'm interested too. Are you related to them? No dtails of causes of death. Sorry for delay in replying. Would prefer any reply via: [email protected]
/
Henry Bury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2010, 10:08   #33
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Bury View Post
Hi

I am at the early stages of discovering the Bury family tree. John Bury was my GGGgf, his son Benjamin was my GGgf and his son Abraham Thomas my Greatgf.

Any early Bury info would be appreaciated.

Philip
Hello Philip,

I do apologise for not replying sooner. I'm afraid I've got 'too many irons in the fire' and just don't get round to servicing all the sites. Besides that, I do find the site extremely complicated to use, probably partly because I'm not one of Lancashire's brighter exports. Your details sound to be most interesting. I have a great deal of info and would like to help you all I can. I'm descended from Henry, a brother of Benjamin, thus John and Martha Bury were my GGGP's.

Again, my apologies.

Best wishes, Henry
Henry Bury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 19:16   #34

HI,
My great aunt Bertha Jackson was born at Todmorden abt 1889, her father John Edward Jackson worked for Howard and Buller (I think a managing director?). I think Bertha may have married Arthur Bury in 1912 at Burnley. I know Bertha had a daughter called Noreen, she went to finishing school in Switzerland. My elderly uncle also remembers the name Greenwood not sure how that fits in?. Bertha and parents lived at accrington, John Edward later moved to Hellifield House at Hellifield. Any information would be most welcome,
Jan
jan58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2011, 15:28   #35

The only Bury I have any real knowledge of is Arthur Smith Bury, 18th Mayor of Accrington and last occupant of Arden Hall.

A huge monument was erected to the memory of his son Lt John Bury who was killed in Galipolli during the 1st world war. Hence he had no one to pass on his estate to and it was left to the people of Accrington.

I am curiuos about the Ronald Greenwood you refer to as the last occupant and owner of Plantation Mill and Plantation house was a Greenwood. Be interested to know if it was the same one.
Mikejoed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2011, 16:08   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikejoed View Post

I am curiuos about the Ronald Greenwood you refer to as the last occupant and owner of Plantation Mill and Plantation house was a Greenwood. Be interested to know if it was the same one.
Now that is interesting.

I don't have any evidence to suggest that my Greenwoods occupied Plantation house, but they disappeared off the map for a while circa 1929.

If there is a family connection it would most likely be Alfred Greenwood, Ronald's father. Yonks ago I remember my mother saying her grandpa (Alfred) was a mill-owner, but all I can find is that he was a buyer and cotton mill manager. Ronald also held a position in the mill. (This would have been with Bury Brothers). That said, they weren't short of a bob or two, having a domestic servant and a chauffeur.
Old 28-05-2011, 10:51   #37

Hi I am researching Bank House of Accrington, The Briggs-Bury family where previous owners. The Last owner was Samual. He sold Bank House for £3500.0.0 on Jan 31st, 1924

I assume he inherited the estate from his Parents were Mr & Mrs Robert Briggs-Bury (also Bank House). Mrs R Briggs-Bury was "a most enthusiastic orchidist" [Orchid Review]

see
See won a prize the day before she died Feb. 7th, at the age
of 62 years in the Manchester Orchid Society. She also one a Gold Medal a month after her death!

I am keen to learn more about this family and Bank House
blankhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2011, 11:50   #38

Hi (with corrections) I am researching Bank House of Accrington, The Briggs-Bury family where previous owners. The Last owner was Samual. He sold Bank House for £3500.0.0 on Jan 31st, 1924 to Sir Thomas Edward Highham.

I assume Samual inherited the estate from his Parents Mr & Mrs Robert Briggs-Bury (also Bank House). Mrs R Briggs-Bury was "a most enthusiastic orchidist" [Orchid Review]

see Full text of "The Orchid review"

She won a prize the day before she died Feb. 7th, at the age of 62 years at the Manchester Orchid Society. She also one a Gold Medal a month after her death!

I am keen to learn more about this family and Bank House
blankhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2015, 21:05   #39

Hi Owen,looking for information on John Bury and his brothers. John bury married my gg grandmother in1863 ,she was Clarissa Matilda smith,the mother of Arthur smith Bury.My g grandmother was Clarissa Annie and Granny wendela Firth Proctor. Clarissa Matilda was I think his second wife.I am interested in any information you have about the family.
Many thanks Judith Miller
JudithMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2015, 07:00   #40
Mog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudithMiller View Post
Hi Owen,looking for information on John Bury and his brothers. John bury married my gg grandmother in1863 ,she was Clarissa Matilda smith,the mother of Arthur smith Bury.My g grandmother was Clarissa Annie and Granny wendela Firth Proctor. Clarissa Matilda was I think his second wife.I am interested in any information you have about the family.
Many thanks Judith Miller
Judith the last time Owen was on here was 06-08-2009.
Mog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2015, 20:51   #41

Hi would be very interested to hear from you.I am trying to find out more about John Bury,Arthur's father.John would have been my GG Grandfather !
JudithMiller is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..