Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-07-2007, 16:01   #1
Senior Member+

Are You Related To The Bury Family From Church Area

HI, wonder if this rings any bells to anyone out there?

I am interested in tracing any descendants of John Bury, GGGf, born 1797, died 1842. Used to have a chemical works in Church. Was a staunch baptiist (buried Macphelah). Had 8X children, I believe.

One was Henry Bury, Antley Villa, and another Abraham Bury, who had a son called Herbert (Bishop Bury). My GGF was Benjamin Bury, JP, died 1916. Was told by my father that he was related to Arthur Smith Bury, JP, onetime Mayor of Accrington, but can't find any link. He used to live at Arden Hall (House?).

thanks
atarah

whatmore55 likes this.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 30-07-2007, 17:00   #2
God Member

Re: Are You Related To The Bury Family From Church Area

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
HI, wonder if this rings any bells to anyone out there?

I am interested in tracing any descendants of John Bury, GGGf, born 1797, died 1842. Used to have a chemical works in Church. Was a staunch baptiist (buried Macphelah). Had 8X children, I believe.

One was Henry Bury, Antley Villa, and another Abraham Bury, who had a son called Herbert (Bishop Bury). My GGF was Benjamin Bury, JP, died 1916. Was told by my father that he was related to Arthur Smith Bury, JP, onetime Mayor of Accrington, but can't find any link. He used to live at Arden Hall (House?).

thanks
atarah

Maybe not the link you were looking for but I came across this:

BURY, Lt. John (East Lancs. Bde., Royal Field Artillery); b. 4th August 1893, s. of Alderman Arthur Smith Bury, J.P. and Amy Althea Bury of Arden Hall, Accrington; k.i.a. 5th July 1915 (21); comm. Helles Memorial, Gallipoli. [2, 3, 4, 22, not listed on 1]

The memorial will be posted on the commonwealth war graves web site.

Regards.Roy

Here is the memorial to Lt Bury:

CWGC :: Certificate
whatmore55 likes this.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950

Last edited by Royboy39; 30-07-2007 at 17:06.
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 16:23   #3
Junior Member+

My great, great grandmother was Mary Bury (b1804 in Church) a younger brother of John Bury (b 1797). I have a fair amount of info on the Bury family.
whatmore55 likes this.
Observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 22:23   #4

Smile Re: Are You Related To The Bury Family From Church Area

funny i am very intrested in bishop bury

i am 13 years old bishop herbert bury adopted an orphan choir boy the boy that was adopted was my great grandfather he had four children 3 girls and one boy that boy was my grandfather he had the same three girls and a boy that boy was my father the reason i have been researching bishop bury is my grandfather died on the 25th april 2008 i am afraid i do not share the blood of the blood nam bury but i wear it proudly. I have lots of metal things with bisop bury's name on and a portrait of him and if you know your history about him he collected butterflies i own those butterflies to if you know deep information about bishop bury i would be very greatful my grandfather was named after bishop bury his name was herbert jhon malcolm bury but everyone called him malcolm.
im afraid i do not know the name of his adopted son but i can give you the names of his grandson. great granchildren and great great granchildren if you know alot avbout his adopted sons history or his name before he was adopted it would be intresting to know
thankyou i hope i have helped can you help me ?
whatmore55 likes this.
Christopherchicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2008, 12:22   #5

Is this the Bury family of Bury Brothers Calico Manufacturers?
Old 13-09-2008, 11:36   #6
Junior Member+

Many thanks. Am related to Bury family, who were calico printers in Sabden area.
Henry
Henry Bury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2008, 13:09   #7

My grandfather (Ronald Greenwood) and his father (Alfred) both worked for Bury Brothers in Accrington. They were in management and Alfred made a lot of money, but lost it all in the Depression. Ronald played in the Mill Orchestra (Cello). My parents had a photo of him with the orchestra, but in a purge burnt it with a load of others.

If anyone has any photos or other info about Bury Brothers I'd be very interested.

I've attached a couple of text files which may be of interest.
Attached Files
File Type: txt BURY1.TXT (3.8 KB, 86 views)
File Type: txt Bury Bros Names.txt (299 Bytes, 47 views)
Old 18-09-2008, 11:18   #8
Junior Member+

Many thanks for all the info. So sorry not to have replied earlier.
Please let me know if I can help you.

Henry
Old 18-09-2008, 13:44   #9

I seem to remember a reference to The Bury Brothers Archive held in Manchester library.

I'm really only interested in any references to Abraham, Alfred or Ronald Greenwood, plus any photos you might find. I think they were mainly based in Accrington, although Alfred spent some time on the Manchester Cotton Exchange.

I've found mention of Briggs-Bury in the census records, it's worth joining Ancestry.co.uk (or such similar) and searching their records.
Old 18-09-2008, 20:35   #10
I am Banned

Lieut. John Bury.
5th East Lancs Brigade R.F.A.
[Church Artillery.]
Before the war he worked for his uncle at Messrs J. Bury & Sons.
The workers at Spring & Union Mills contributed to a brass plaque
which hung in the Oak St Congregationalist Chapel.

His parents gave his age as 23 years in memoriam notices.

Retlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post

Maybe not the link you were looking for but I came across this:

BURY, Lt. John (East Lancs. Bde., Royal Field Artillery); b. 4th August 1893, s. of Alderman Arthur Smith Bury, J.P. and Amy Althea Bury of Arden Hall, Accrington; k.i.a. 5th July 1915 (21); comm. Helles Memorial, Gallipoli. [2, 3, 4, 22, not listed on 1]

The memorial will be posted on the commonwealth war graves web site.

Regards.Roy

Here is the memorial to Lt Bury:

CWGC :: Certificate
whatmore55 likes this.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2008, 17:47   #11

I have discovered that Ann Bury ( sister of John & James ) married into my Burford family. She married Edward Burford who's family were Baptist and Calico printers from London/Essex. At the Manchester archive there are a couple of letters from their son John Burford at Pendle Hill to John Bury Jnr at Cateaton Street London dtd 1814 & 1815.James Briggs is also mentioned in one letter who I suppose is a relation to the Briggs married also into the Bury family. If anyone has any further information regarding the Burford family I'd love to hear it.
whatmore55 likes this.
Duckies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2008, 15:57   #12

Hello I am a decendant from the Bury family Arthur Smith Bury, he married Amy Althea Dunne they bought Arden Hall in 1911, they had 3 children John, Phyllis and Althea. Phyllis is my great great grandmother so Arthur Bury is my great great great grandad. If you would like any info please message me.

I also have info on all the bury family.
whatmore55 likes this.

Last edited by vpinkangel; 22-11-2008 at 16:06.
vpinkangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2008, 16:25   #13
Junior Member+

Hello Vpinkangel,

Your codename seems to indicate that we've been in contact before. Many thanks.

If we haven't, would be very grateful for any info on Bury family, though would stress that I have no proof that I am related to A. S. Bury. It's just supposition.

Best wishes, Henry
Old 04-01-2009, 14:09   #14
Junior Member+

Probably no information additional to what you already have on Burford family. However, Ann Bury was rel, and I have quite a lot of info on Bury family. Pleased to help in any way I can.
Old 04-01-2009, 14:17   #15
Junior Member+

Very interested to read re Mary Bury, 1804. She was sister of my GGGF, John Bury, 1797. Could we exchange info? Don'y know how I missed your entry.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..