Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-02-2009, 08:31   #16
Senior Member+

Re: Beer & Pop

So that explains it. 'Nuff said.

The pub was still going in 1951 but in the Barrett's Directory that year it is called the Bridge - a typo error I suspect.

Bass Brewery took over Massey's. Whitbread took over Dutton's.

There was something unusual about the chimney in the Arden Inn. I cannot remember what it was, but think it did not go straight up from the fireplace to the roof.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-02-2009, 11:11   #17
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
could be way wrong here beechy, but did dutton take oer massey? n then whitbread took oer them.
Massey was taken over by John Smiths part of Bass group cashy can remember them bringing out Brew 10 and Brew 11, the pump heads on the bar were like Toby Jugs I'm sure lancsdave will confirm this being from Burnley
Old 19-02-2009, 12:18   #18
Senior Member+

at its peak i cant recall the Arden being anything
other than Dutton/ Whitbread
or should i say at my peak 60.70.80s

like i've never been gone
beechy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2009, 20:16   #19
Senior Member+

I have learhned that Masseys was taken over by Bass-Charrington in 1966 and the Burnley brewery closed in 1970.
If anyone is a member of the Burnley website, might you start a thread on it and ask for the name of the Accrington pubs which Masseys ran.
Old 23-02-2009, 23:42   #20
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

was the "Old House At Home" masseys?
Old 24-02-2009, 11:55   #21
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
was the "Old House At Home" masseys?
Can't think of any more ofhand cashy except the pickups on Moscow Mill Street, or was it Springhill Road
Old 24-02-2009, 16:48   #22
Senior Member+

The Old House at Home on Melbourne St , opposite the Ribble bus stops between Avenue Parade and Water St was a Massey's house. I remember going in there for a half of bitter when I was 17yrs. Cost 8pence ha'penny. It was pale yellow, very different from Thwaites' . About ten years ago I went in a pub in Burnley which had Massey's on draught.It had been made specially for the small chain by Bass to Massey's recipe.The locals said it was an exact match.
Judith Addison likes this.
Old 07-03-2009, 19:47   #23
Senior Member+

I have had thre chance at looking at material about bentley's Milnshaw brewery: It started by Nicholas bentley c 1868 close to the Blockade in King St, moving later into Milnshaw Lane. We can assume that Malt St was named because of the brewery's closeness. In 1905 the firm had premises:- Milnshaw Lane ( inc the off-license still at the top), Cotton St, The Junction ( St James St) /New Brewery Inn ( Maudsley st)/Borough Arms (Oak St)/Blockade ( King St)/Railway (Huncoat)/Farrier's Arms (?)/Cattle market (King St)

By the time the firm was bought out by John Smith's Tadcaster Brewery in 1924, they had acquired the Abbey (Bank St)/The Spread Eagle beerhouse (Blackburn)/Bay Horse beerhouse (Colne)/The Duke of Buccleugh (Waterfoot) and the George & Dragon (Barrowford) Several members of the Bentley family were licensees in the pubs, and they held shares in the company.

Where was the Farrier's Arms?
Old 07-03-2009, 21:40   #24
I am Banned

Where was the Farrier's Arms?[/quote]

34 Bank St, it was Dalton's Printers for many years.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 19:51   #25
Senior Member+

There's them what call Retlaw, but he allus comes up wi'th'inflammation. ( I suppose it's w''im bein' a fireman)
Old 08-03-2009, 20:39   #26
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
There's them what call Retlaw, but he allus comes up wi'th'inflammation. ( I suppose it's w''im bein' a fireman)
Its nowt tu do wi bein a fireman, ave bin collectin snippets of info for oer 60 odd years, found mi old card file in thattic tother week. Sort this lot out
Tom a Duels Clough
Sabalgreene
Mygehalgh Heigh
Midjecks
Helefooteholme.
Wulhurst Yait.

Retlaw.
bekibird likes this.

Last edited by Retlaw; 08-03-2009 at 20:40. Reason: add
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 20:43   #27
Senior Member+

The mate who got me to start this thread was called Max Taylor. I have just learned that he died a few days ago.He had been a pub landlord, a bobbie and a self-emplyed rep in th pub trade. latterly had lived at Barrow in Furness. Grew up off Charter St I think.Didn't go to school in Acc after death of a parent(s) Aged early 70s.
Old 26-10-2009, 19:18   #28
Senior Member+

This thread may clash with others about pubs & clubs, but I have just found a paper cutting which may assist anybody keeping a record of where pubs& clubs were at one time.

13th June 1883 there was an auction of the dissolved National Independent Order of Oddfellows Central Working Men's Club, 4 Abbey Street - furniture and effects, including two billards tables made by O'Brien.
Old 26-10-2009, 19:29   #29
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
This thread may clash with others about pubs & clubs, but I have just found a paper cutting which may assist anybody keeping a record of where pubs& clubs were at one time.

13th June 1883 there was an auction of the dissolved National Independent Order of Oddfellows Central Working Men's Club, 4 Abbey Street - furniture and effects, including two billards tables made by O'Brien.
Ya' don't know what the Railway Pub was called before the railways do you Bob ? ....
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2009, 19:53   #30
Senior Member+

I am not aware of a name change. To check, look at an early Barretts Directory.(in the library) This was a Thwaites pub, one of several they owned in that part of town, only a hundred yards away from at least two more. The railway came to Accrington in 1848 but this building is later than that. My suspicion is that it would be called the Railway from the word go, as it is so close to the station and travellers would realise this when they were looking for accomodation.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..