Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-12-2011, 16:37   #46
Rest in Peace

Re: Beer & Pop

Pooles pop works and bottling plant was on Grimshaw St Clayton- le-Moors and became Collison/Pooles sometime in the 1945/1950 They had a pop called Collypop.
We played cricket on spare ground near there and the manager's son played with us so we drank plenty free Collypop.(He got to bat along time)
MandyP likes this.
claytonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-06-2012, 03:06   #47
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
The first posting tells where it was. -Owen St. I suspect this was between Owen St & the railway line. I haven't re-read all the postings, but there may be a date if you do. . The firm was not there in 1951. My Perry's jar has the figures 1901 on it, so maybe that was when the firm started.

I would like to acquire a Beech's stone pop jar. I have a Stanton's to swop for it.
hi do these stone jars have any value
mickbrfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2012, 08:50   #48
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickbrfc View Post
hi do these stone jars have any value
They're very valuable as hot water bottles would think they might be worth about £20 or there abouts
Old 28-06-2012, 11:54   #49
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
They're very valuable as hot water bottles would think they might be worth about £20 or there abouts
I agree with you there John we used to have quite a collection of Stone Hot Water bottles.
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2013, 16:00   #50

Quote:
A member of the Stocks family tells me that (1960s) the firm used tap water rather than a well, and is unaware of there being a well on the premises. He does recall that across the road, where Bank Brewery was, a hole appeared in the path around the small garden area mid-60s. It was believed to have been caused by there being a well underneath, I thibnk this may be why that bit of land has never been built on.
Sorry to dig up an old thread - was just reading through this and thought I'd add some info I found whilst digging around the other day. Apparently, the reason this land was never built on was because the chap who donated it to the council made a stipulation to that effect.

"the site of the former Bank Brewery... speaking to Councillor (or later Alderman) Johnson... he said that he had signed up of a gift of that land from Mr. Smith (a former wholesale and retail confectioner) to the Council. Mr. Johnson said that land had never to be built on as Mr. Smith said that he was giving it because there was no longer anywhere for children to play now that all the houses had been built... The transfer of land was probably in the 1950's or early 1960's."

Details in original article here on the Hyndburn Council website.

I know it's a third hand tale, but it could well be true. No pun intended.

Last edited by Pudwoppa; 18-03-2013 at 16:03.
Pudwoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2013, 18:00   #51
Senior Member+

If this is so, then it would not be as late as the 60s I think It was vacant throughout the 50s/ The Mr Johnson, a mayor in the 50s, had the toffee shop at the end of the terrace immediately after what became Accrington Garages. I think it was Ashworth Heys' garage in the 50s.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2013, 19:44   #52
I am Banned

Quote:
If this is so, then it would not be as late as the 60s I think It was vacant throughout the 50s/ The Mr Johnson, a mayor in the 50s, had the toffee shop at the end of the terrace immediately after what became Accrington Garages. I think it was Ashworth Heys' garage in the 50s.
It were known locally as Mash & Peys up Burnley Rd.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2013, 23:16   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
It were known locally as Mash & Peys up Burnley Rd.
Is this the same shop that was "discovered" a few years ago and made the national BBC? My wife lved on Carlisle rd and remembers it as Jimmy Boyd's. I worked at Accrington Garages in the 80's but only went in there once. The Kitkat I bought was probably older than me and somewhat soggy.
egg&chips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 08:04   #54
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by egg&chips View Post
Is this the same shop that was "discovered" a few years ago and made the national BBC? My wife lved on Carlisle rd and remembers it as Jimmy Boyd's. I worked at Accrington Garages in the 80's but only went in there once. The Kitkat I bought was probably older than me and somewhat soggy.

Yes - same place. A time warp. It was like that when I left Acc in 1960.
Old 15-06-2013, 16:08   #55

My Dad passed away recently and we have found an old stone jar in the cellar.
I know it will be of interest to someone so looked up Accrington and found this forum. It is a stone jar complete with cork. It says on it:
To buy, to sell or make use of this bottle is illegal 1954
Please return when empty to
O. Beach
Prop: A & A Wagg
Herbal Beverages
Accrington
I just want to find a home for it where someone will get some pleasure from it rather than throw it into a landfill. I am in Halifax and would prefer if someone would collect it if they want it.
phillipsjennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2013, 16:12   #56
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Beer & Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillipsjennie View Post
My Dad passed away recently and we have found an old stone jar in the cellar.
I know it will be of interest to someone so looked up Accrington and found this forum. It is a stone jar complete with cork. It says on it:
To buy, to sell or make use of this bottle is illegal 1954
Please return when empty to
O. Beach
Prop: A & A Wagg
Herbal Beverages
Accrington
I just want to find a home for it where someone will get some pleasure from it rather than throw it into a landfill. I am in Halifax and would prefer if someone would collect it if they want it.
You shouldn't have put that out on the www, the tax man will be sending you a bill for inheritance tax now!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2013, 17:30   #57
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillipsjennie View Post
PM Atarah, she's probably your best bet as I know she does lots of local history stuff & I also think she has a place in the market exhibiting items of local historic interest.
Old 15-06-2013, 17:48   #58
Senior Member+

Hello, yep, such an item would be brilliant for our Museum in the Market, but ... I have to say, Halifax is the problem. Can I pm you on this one?
Was your Dad from Accrington?
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2013, 10:05   #59
Senior Member+

My daughter is about to flit to Halifax. I will be over there end of this month. My transport charges are very reasonable - let me know Atarah.
Old 18-06-2013, 10:37   #60
Senior Member+

My daughter is about to flit to live in Halifax. I expect to be visiting her at the end of this month. Atarah - PM me. (My dad was from Accrington.)(His dad was too)

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..