Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-06-2013, 09:54   #76
Senior Member+

Re: Beer & Pop

Mr Stocks tells me that there was a regular meeting of NE Lancs pop bottlers held in Blackburn. This was probably 1950s into 60s. The mostly discussed prices - a small cartel. Bekebird - send me a PM with your email address
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 30-06-2013, 01:26   #77
Senior Member+

Hi phillipsjennie, just to say, thanks a lot. We now have your bottle in our Museum in the Market in Accrington. Mr Dobson brought it to us today. Brilliant service! :-)
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 00:53   #78

Calling up an old map on Lancashire County Council MARIO (Maps and Related Information Online) I see that Canning Street had two terraces on both sides (house numbers aren't shown). It ran from Ranger Street across Maden Street to Fountain Street. There are about 30 houses on one side and about 40 on the other, so given odds and evens there must have been a number 46.
Judith Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:07   #79
Senior Member+

Thanks Judith - this is a useful tool.
Judith Addison likes this.
Old 05-07-2013, 21:58   #80

Thanks Judith!! Just because its not been there in my lifetime I 'assumed' Canning Street was a typo on the census.
bekibird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 22:30   #81
Senior Member+

Why would you assume Canning Street was a mis-print? The census guys who walked the streets over one hundred years ago were actually walking on the streets they were writing about???
Old 05-07-2013, 23:28   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
Why would you assume Canning Street was a mis-print? The census guys who walked the streets over one hundred years ago were actually walking on the streets they were writing about???
Because I have noticed a lot of spelling mistakes when I have been doing family history. I think it must be something to do with regional dialects maybe. For instance the Hamriding family have (after tonnes of research) been call Amriding, Mamriding and Hamridden. As I have lived in Accrington all my life and never heard of Canning Street I thought perhaps it might have been Cannon street. I've come across lots of similar spelling discrepancies so as I said 'assumed' it was a typo.
bekibird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2013, 13:33   #83

We found a bottle in my father in laws house which has number 34 on it.
Supernan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2013, 13:45   #84
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernan View Post
We found a bottle in my father in laws house which has number 34 on it.
And
Old 23-09-2013, 20:50   #85

I remember stantons saparilla in the stone bottle with a screw top.almost every bed had one as a hot water bottle.put in bed red hot wrapped in towel,when it went cool take off towel with feet.no central heating them days,40s-50s.
jaysay, Eric and Turtle like this.
jack preston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 21:01   #86
Senior Member+

I've just found what I think is a new name to add to the list of pop bottlers in a 1927 directory; Under 'Aerated Water Manufacturers', alongside Poole of Clayton and Stocks of Burnley Rd is Spencer & Howorth of Oswald St .
Old 08-04-2014, 21:41   #87
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
I've just found what I think is a new name to add to the list of pop bottlers in a 1927 directory; Under 'Aerated Water Manufacturers', alongside Poole of Clayton and Stocks of Burnley Rd is Spencer & Howorth of Oswald St .
Hi Bob, yep, apparently I quote "OSWALD STREET WORKS - started 1875 as cement works by Christopher Barnes. Between 1885-1931 was mineral water works of Spencer and Haworth. Reopened 1935 as cooked met factory by W T Marriots", so says Mr Mike Rothwell in his book.
Old 09-04-2014, 07:51   #88
Senior Member+

Good spotting Atarah. I often wish that I had an index to Mike Rothwell's books on Industrial Heritage
Old 09-04-2014, 09:56   #89

Hi Bob, maybe you can help me out on this one, my old friends and I seem to recollect drinking Stock's Iron Brue in the late fifties/ early sixties and yet the Jocks claim "Made in Scotland from Girder's". Do you know whether Barrs bought out Stocks, or did my mates and I dream it. Stay happy, Yours Taddy.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 11:27   #90
Senior Member+

I don't think it was bought out - just finished. I will enquire. Barr's isn't a patch on Stocks' Iron Brew .It's a pale imitation.'

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..