Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-02-2012, 09:50   #1
God Member

Bombs on Whalley Road in WW2

Opposite Rockmount in Altham West, the terrace has a gap half-way along where a bomb was jettisoned during WW2, about 2 houses are missing. I have a letter in which my Grandfather talks about it, as his sisters were sent to relatives for safety after it happened.
Does anyone know anything about this incident and if there were any casualties?
It is a minor detail for a story I'm writing but it would be nice to keep the facts as near to the truth as possible.

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 26-02-2012, 10:00   #2
God Member

Re: Bombs on Whalley Road in WW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
Opposite Rockmount in Altham West, the terrace has a gap half-way along where a bomb was jettisoned during WW2, about 2 houses are missing. I have a letter in which my Grandfather talks about it, as his sisters were sent to relatives for safety after it happened.
Does anyone know anything about this incident and if there were any casualties?
It is a minor detail for a story I'm writing but it would be nice to keep the facts as near to the truth as possible.
Look at this thread

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...tml#post644253

..and my post #13

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2012, 10:03   #3
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Maybe this'll help ?

Development at war bomb homes | Accrington Observer - menmedia.co.uk
Old 26-02-2012, 12:26   #4
Rest in Peace

I was 5 years old and lived on Whalley Rd at the time and i can vaguely remember my mother and father taking me with them to look at the houses,crowds of people were there.For years later the stairs steps and the small bedroom at the top of the stairs where still standing, and the bedroom door had pieces of coloured glass broken but still in the top half.
claytonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2012, 14:27   #5
God Member

Thanks so much to all three of you -some useful details which i'll be able to use!

Karma to all three.

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..