Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Eric

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2005, 20:53   #1

Book on Clayton?

Alan Gilmartin contacted me from Australia asking me to write a book on Clayton. I am asked this question on a regular basis but unfortunately I have many projects in the pipeline.

However, if I could find someone to research and write a book, I would be willing to fund and publish a book on Clayton.

Is there a budding author out there?
If so please feel free to contact me.
Darren Woodhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-07-2013, 22:15   #2

Re: Book on Clayton?

Is this still a possibility? I have been researching clayton le moors for a while now and wondered if perhaps you were still willing to look into the prospect.
bekibird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 16:07   #3
Senior Member+

This MUST be a record - solitary response after almost EIGHT years. I will email Darren to tell him. It would surprise me if he is interested, as the world of book publishing is a much more difficult one than it was 8yrs ago. Meanwhile, he has published a book on Clayton - Memories of Clayton le Moors & Altham by Andrea Davies.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 04:54   #4

Yes I saw this to Bob. I have got the book on Clayton, I often pick it up to refresh my memories. But it would be good if Garth Dawson would publish some of his photos of the 1960s, he spent a lot of time going round the dance halls of the time on Saturday nights, eg, the Con, Arcs, etc, he would most likely have photos of the old Cavern club in Castle st. and a lot more on Clayton in the 60s.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:49   #5
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin View Post
Yes I saw this to Bob. I have got the book on Clayton, I often pick it up to refresh my memories. But it would be good if Garth Dawson would publish some of his photos of the 1960s, he spent a lot of time going round the dance halls of the time on Saturday nights, eg, the Con, Arcs, etc, he would most likely have photos of the old Cavern club in Castle st. and a lot more on Clayton in the 60s.
Garth has a section in the Accrington Observer where he publishes pictures from around the area from his time as a newpaper photographer, you can view it online.
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 22:11   #6

Sorry for the late response!!!! I decided to read through all the threads I could one evening in the Heritage and History section to see if there were any little gems I missed!! I think I got the book mentioned (by Andrea Davies) when I was looking further into Clayton's history.
bekibird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:46   #7
Senior Member+

Is there a group which concerns itself specifically with Clayton's history? The Hyndburn Local History Society covers all of the borough. There is such a group in Gt Harwood
Old 09-07-2013, 10:29   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
Is there a group which concerns itself specifically with Clayton's history? The Hyndburn Local History Society covers all of the borough. There is such a group in Gt Harwood
Contact the prison service Bob, its yer best chance.
Old 09-07-2013, 13:24   #9
Senior Member+

I already spend too much time behind bars.
Old 09-07-2013, 23:20   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
I already spend too much time behind bars.
And I spend way too much time in front of them.
DaveinGermany and susie123 like this.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..