Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-08-2004, 11:32   #1
God Member

Buildings at Clayton

Wandering around the other day, as you do, I came across this collection of buildings. I was surprised to see them having thought that they had been demolished. They stand on the Leeds Liverpool Canal adjacent to the Blackburn Road bridge at Clayton-le-Moors. A trawl through the first edition OS map shows them in situ in 1844-45. They look to be in a pretty bad way, especially the part (not shown here) that fronts the main road, which is in an advanced state of collapse.

The building on the opposite side of the Canal is described on the 1844 map as ‘The Weighing Machine’. I know that Accrington Sea Cadets used it for a while. It is in a similar state of disrepair.

Any one any ideas what they were used for, or of any plans for them?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Workshops Clayton a.jpg (94.3 KB, 93 views)
Old 18-08-2004, 16:57   #2
God Member

Re: Buildings at Clayton

This building and the one on the opposite bank are grade II listed. I have'nt seen them for years (I think the other building is often referred to as the Old Stables)
If you know the history of the Leeds Liverpool canal you will know that it was completed in stages and these buildings mark the completed stage from Burnley. The final stage of he canal was the Clayton or Enfield section through to Blackburn which was delayed by several years due to arguments about the route and a possible link-up in Accy with a canal coming up from Bury.

Either way, their design is purely functional...the bricked up loading bays would have had an overhead gantry extending out with block & tackle for fast loading and unloading of barges and you can see the canal is considerably wider here as it serves as a turn around area for the boats.

I suspect the reference the "Weighing Machine" would simply be for weighing of bulk goods.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2004, 17:09   #3
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

[QUOTE=Tealeaf]through to Blackburn which was delayed by several years due to arguments about the route and a possible link-up in Accy with a canal coming up from Bury.QUOTE]

Did history repeat itself when the M65 was the road to no-where?
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2004, 13:36   #4
Resting in peace

There are some superb buildings along the canal which could be renovated and put to good use, especially since they date from a time when buildings were made to last. At Church, on Blackburn Road just by Bridge Street, there is an old warehouse building with a canal bay at the rear, which could make much better housing for local people than some of the crap they're putting up nearby. Only downside is that it would probably be snapped up by snotties from Manchester.
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2004, 14:40   #5
God Member

Having said that, Pendy. it looks as though after decades of neglect something is at last being done for the warehouse you mention. I suspect Tealeaf may have more to say on this subject in the very near future.
Old 19-08-2004, 17:16   #6
God Member

Just for a moment bringing togeather this thread with the "Accy Observer" thread,has anyone read today's online version? Apparently, large areas of Clayton are being converted into Red Light Districts....anyway, that's what the paper says. Is this another of HBC's wacky initiatives, this time to make Hyndburn the destination of choice for the Sex Tourist, rather than Bangkok or Amsterdam?

Anyway, if so, the Clayton warehouses would make a hell of a brothel.....straight on one side of the canal & a benders on the opposite bank.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2004, 21:41   #7
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

Maybe the Clayton Warehouses would become the Clayton Whorehouses??

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2004, 05:53   #8
God Member

Ah yes, but, were that to happen wouldn't we all then be up in arms about condoms and other accoutrement's of the trade floating along the canal strangling ducks and fouling the gear of passing barges?
Old 21-08-2004, 22:51   #9

What is a benders? Would there be rats making it not a good idea for housing?
Ifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2004, 02:09   #10
Senior Member+

Its local greeting for gentlemen of a different persuasion other local colloquialisms are Pillow biter, Brown Hatter and my personal favorite Uphill Gardener.

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2004, 02:15   #11

Bowling from the 'pavillion end' is my favourite (saying)!
Old 26-08-2004, 23:59   #12

In the 1960s BOB, those buildings where occupied by a company called Harwood Craft. They made fiberglass boats. Its very sad to see it like that, we used to play around there. We use to live just up from there at No 19 Blackburn Rd.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..