Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Greyman

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2014, 18:48   #1

Bury Brothers of Accrington

I know Bury Brothers occupied a few mills in Accrington from time to time, but did they have a mill in Bury, or an interest in a Bury mill?

The reason I ask is that I was reading some notes left by my late father in which he says my Grandpa (who worked for Bury Brothers) lived in Bury for while to look after his employer's interests there.

Any information much appreciated.
Old 10-05-2014, 22:31   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Bury Brothers of Accrington

Drop a line to Bury Library and Local History Society. The Burys would likely be known to the Peels, who did have mils there. Both had interests in Sabden too.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 14:02   #3

Thanks Bob, I'll check those in due course. I'm coming up to retirement so hopefully I'll have time to do what I want to do rather than what I have to do!
Old 12-05-2014, 09:27   #4
Junior Member+

I have Researched the Bury Brothers (John & James) as they are part of my ancestry but only along the family line and not too much about all their business interests as they stretched from Sabden to Manchester/Salford to London and other places.
As Bob says you could look in the Bury Library and Historical society but I also found a raft of information about them in the National archive papers held at Manchester here's the link:
The National Archives | Access to Archives

You will have to arrange a time to see them at the offices in Manchester as they will bring the documents out of their archives which takes a few days.

Let me know if I can help further.
Regards,
A.Bury
Atarah likes this.
Greyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 11:33   #5
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyman View Post
I have Researched the Bury Brothers (John & James) as they are part of my ancestry but only along the family line and not too much about all their business interests as they stretched from Sabden to Manchester/Salford to London and other places.
As Bob says you could look in the Bury Library and Historical society but I also found a raft of information about them in the National archive papers held at Manchester here's the link:

You will have to arrange a time to see them at the offices in Manchester as they will bring the documents out of their archives which takes a few days.

Regards,
A.Bury
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

This is great - two members of a family line being brought together through Accyweb
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2014, 11:51   #6

I found a few artifacts in my files for John Bury, based at Vulcan Tool Works in Ossy. I'm assuming its the same chappy?
Pudwoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2014, 20:02   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyman View Post
I ...........I also found a raft of information about them in the National archive papers held at Manchester here's the link:

Regards,
A.Bury
Thanks for that. I was aware of the Bury Archive and I've just followed your link, there's much more there than last time I looked!

If you come across any photos of the works orchestra I'd be interested to see them as I understand that my grandpa played the cello with them.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..