Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-09-2012, 15:55   #1
Junior Member+

Bury Family Tree

Hi,
This is my first post as have only just discovered this forum and the amazing threads and information being shared so I hope someone can help me.

I am trying to trace my family tree back as far as I can through the male line but have come stuck at 1718. I am a descendant of the the Bury's of Sabden on the James Bury side, through Thomas 1793-1872; William Edward 1825-1906; Charles J Bury 1857-1941 etc. I've traced back to Henry Bury 1718-1776 Gf of James of Sabden but that's as far as I know.

I don't know who Henry was married to, although I think Mary Leeming as one I cannot find any others, nor how many children Henry had apart from James senior (1739).... I have so many questions.... and if anyone could cast any light on this part of the family I would be really grateful.

Thanks.
Greyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-09-2012, 15:16   #2

Re: Bury Family Tree

have you tried this website

Lancashire OnLine Parish Clerk Project - Search
Old 30-09-2012, 16:10   #3
Junior Member+

Smile Re: Bury Family Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAZ1975 View Post

hi Chaz, thanks for the reply.
Yes I have tried this website, am also on Ancestry.co.uk and will be visiting the Local History archive next week in Manchester to find out more.

One of the problems is that there seems to be too many Henry's about at the time and when they get married as Henry Berry but sign the register as Henry Bury! it just adds to the confusion.

I have read a few posts on the forum from others who seem like they may know more so I was hoping they might provide some help ?
Anyway, thanks again for responding.
Old 30-09-2012, 17:13   #4

I have just had a look at the book "The Birth of a Lancashire Village Sabden" and there is some information on the Bury Family in there. It seems to have come from another book which is sourced inside.

It states in there that they were quite a prominent family in the area so to go further back have you gone down the line of Wills or apprenticeship records?
anzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2012, 17:34   #5
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by anzac View Post
I have just had a look at the book "The Birth of a Lancashire Village Sabden" and there is some information on the Bury Family in there. It seems to have come from another book which is sourced inside.

It states in there that they were quite a prominent family in the area so to go further back have you gone down the line of Wills or apprenticeship records?
Hi Anzac thanks for your reply.
I have heard of the book, will have to get a copy.
Yes they were very prominent and I have quite a bit of information on the brothers John and James Bury who set up ther Sabden works in around1792 I think, with involvement from their sons and father, also called James and his father called Henry.

From my latest research I think Henry's father was Richard Bury,(Dob 1696) spouse called Anne but I am trying to varify this yet.

Not looked at Wills or apprenticeships though... interesting.

Thanks again for your reply.
Old 01-10-2012, 13:49   #6
Senior Member+

Greyman - Send me a PM bearing your name and email address and I will put you in touch with someone who is researching this family.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 16:00   #7
Resting In Peace

Interesting photos of old Sabden here and a mention of the Bury family.

Bob I notice you published this book.
Old 01-10-2012, 19:58   #8
Senior Member+

The one I published is 'Sabden Past & Present' £10 post free if payment comes with the order.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 20:11   #9
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
The one I published is 'Sabden Past & Present' £10 post free if payment comes with the order.
Yes that's the one I meant - silly me forgot to post the link...

Nicholas Grimshaw of Sabden
Old 02-10-2012, 07:50   #10
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
Greyman - Send me a PM bearing your name and email address and I will put you in touch with someone who is researching this family.

Okay, done!
Old 02-10-2012, 07:59   #11
Junior Member+

Unhappy Re: Bury Family Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Yes that's the one I meant - silly me forgot to post the link...

Nicholas Grimshaw of Sabden
Thanks Susie.
I have copies of these pictures and seen the book you refer to, it was these that made us visit Sabden a few weeks ago to see the "landmarks" - Bury row, Baptist Graveyard, St Nicholas's, site of print works, and the Whins etc.
We looked all over for the Machpelah graveyard in Accrington without any luck ... then found out from this forum that it is now a Homebase / garage forecourt ! and that any Bury remains might be in the New Lane Baptist church in Ossie so we will be off there soon.

Thanks for your interest.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..