Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-03-2012, 23:09   #1

Question Bygone places.

Just out of curiosity, can anyone please tell me what happened to Westwell Row, Clayton-le-Moors (was there in the 1800's) and any information re Westell's Houses (assume also at CLM) in the 1860's? Have come across these addresses in researching family history - can't find them in maps.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 26-03-2012, 20:38   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Bygone places.

You will get an idea as to where they were by looking at the various censuses and tracing the route taken by the enumerator. Another idea - check the various Barretts directories as there may be clues to be had from them, although in the case of small places such as Clayton, not all the streets are listed. So far as Accrington is concerned, Retlaw has compiled a list of Rows, Terraces, Courts, Yards and it is available in the library.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2012, 09:21   #3

Many thanks for your reply and suggestions. Will take these on board. Unfortunately visiting the Accrington library is not an option due to my living in Australia. However, will certainly try tracing through the censuses.
Old 28-03-2012, 18:51   #4
Senior Member+

You could drop the library a line:- [email protected] There was an author called William Westall who lived in Stanhill, Oswaldtwistle.He came from a well-heeled Blackburn family and his locally-based novels were published 1880-1900.It5 was common for a row of cottages to be named after the man who paid nfor them to be built.
Old 29-03-2012, 03:47   #5

Once again I am indebted to you for replying to me - will certainly try the library via email. I was just curious as to where the places I mentioned had gone to. Very interesting information re William Westall (my husband's family name is Westell btw - all his family coming from the Accrington area and surrounds) though over the years this name has been transcribed in many different ways, as seems to be the usual thing. Thank you again.
Old 29-03-2012, 09:50   #6
Resting in Peace

Hi Dotti. Did take a walk around the 'centre' of Clayton on Monday looking at lots of named terraces. Didn't realise that there are so many. Even though, haven't spotted one with the names you have mentioned, is interesting and fun, so will carry on with the search.

I say fun, even though I tripped over pavements twice, bumped into a rather large grumpy teenager, fell off a kerb and got my leg tangled up on some roots in the park whilst trying to view a plaque on Charles Street. Of course, got some 'what you looking at !?' type of stares.

There is the block on Rishton Road with a carved stone on the roof which says 'W.W. 1855' .. possibly the builder ? Did wonder.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2012, 16:39   #7
Senior Member+

Mrs Dorothy WESTELL is a local and county councillor who is interested in her family name. Send a PM to Atarah , who knows her well and she will probably be able to put you in touch.Let her have your email address. Also Google Lancashire family History Society and send a message to the secretary at Hyndburn and Blackburn branches It may be that they have members interested in this family.
Old 30-03-2012, 07:19   #8

Hi Katex - many thanks for looking around the place for me, glad to hear you are finding it very interesting. Lots of exercise, all that walking, but sounds like it is fraught with danger. Also sounds like your pavements are a bit like ours - in need of repair. Had to laugh, sorry, at your 'experiences' - hope that's only water in your bottle!!!!! To be honest it's not that important that I find out where those places were, it is just because I was curious - but if you do discover them it would be very interesting. However, please take good care when walking - I'd hate to be the cause of any disasters. In the meantime happy walking.....
Old 30-03-2012, 07:36   #9

Hi Bob - again thank you for your reply. Some time ago I did send information re the Westell family to Dorothy (the Councillor) as her husband Clifford came from the same Westell line as did my husband, and I was informed that she was looking for family details, etc. I will, however, get in touch again with her re the places I am interested in and maybe she will be able to help me. I would think that being a councillor Dorothy would know the area pretty well.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..