Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-12-2012, 12:53   #1
I am Banned

Canary Island Fire

On April 27th 1917 an explosion occured at Canary Island Church.
P.C. James Hardacre lost his life closing magazine doors which saved Church and its residents from being destroyed, even so. much damage was caused and windows were broke nearly a mile away.
Police Constable, James Hardacre was postumously awarded the Kings Police Medal for bravery. The following firemen received the O.B.E. Supeintendant E.Ware, 2nd Officer F. Barnes, 3rd Officer J Roberts Accrington Fire Brigade. Superintendant R. Walker, Sergt E. Paley & W. Schofield, of Church Fire Brigade. Walter Schoffields medal is now in Haworth Art Gallery. A Police Constable H. Bradbury is also thought to have been awarded th Kings Police Medal, but so far no records has been found. As P.C. Bradbury was from Oswaldtwistle and had two children, I'm wondering if any Accy Webbers can throw any light on the matter.
Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 29-12-2012, 20:53   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Canary Island Fire

I cannot recall hearing Bradbury's name.
By chance,. I have today sent a messqage via facebook to an Accrington Grammar School Old Boy (81yrs), Peter Bradbury. who has not been answering emails. I'll ask him

I will enquire with an authority on Bradbury's KPM
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2012, 21:36   #3
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
I cannot recall hearing Bradbury's name.
By chance,. I have today sent a messqage via facebook to an Accrington Grammar School Old Boy (81yrs), Peter Bradbury. who has not been answering emails. I'll ask him

I will enquire with an authority on Bradbury's KPM
Herbert Bradbury was with the Lancs Constabulary stationed at Church, his son James was born in 1906
Old 30-12-2012, 08:04   #4
Senior Member+

PC Herbert Bradbury was awarded KPM over this incident. There may be a cost involved in asking the Lancashire Archives for info on him post-1917 . I will enquire. I have tried to contact the AGSOB.
Old 30-12-2012, 11:36   #5
Senior Member+

Can someone please tell me where/what was Canary Island?
Old 30-12-2012, 11:51   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

My guess Barrie is back of Blythes on cut bank? someone will correct if it aint i reckon.
Old 30-12-2012, 13:20   #7
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
Can someone please tell me where/what was Canary Island?
Its real name was Coteholme, a subsidiary of Blythes, they mnanufactured explosives during WW1, their main product was known as Picric Acid, which turned every thing around it yellow, thats why it was known as Canary Island & the workers were nicknamed Canary's.
Old 30-12-2012, 13:48   #8
Resting In Peace

Oh yes remember picric acid, worked with it when I spent 6 months at ROF Euxton as a student, lovely yellow stuff. Those were the days, carrying TNT pellets around in buckets. Wonder if that would be allowed now?
Old 30-12-2012, 13:52   #9
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
My guess Barrie is back of Blythes on cut bank? someone will correct if it aint i reckon.

Not often that Cashy's reyt, but he is this time.
Old 30-12-2012, 15:03   #10
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Oh yes remember picric acid, worked with it when I spent 6 months at ROF Euxton as a student, lovely yellow stuff. Those were the days, carrying TNT pellets around in buckets. Wonder if that would be allowed now?
Most explosives are relatively safe if handled properly, I doubt those buckets were made of steel, some explosives can be pounded with a hammer and nothing will happen cordite is one, dynamite is another, both contain Nitro Glycerine which will exlode if you wink at it, but once mixed with other substances becomes quite tame.
Old 31-12-2012, 17:19   #11
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Its real name was Coteholme, a subsidiary of Blythes, they mnanufactured explosives during WW1, their main product was known as Picric Acid, which turned every thing around it yellow, thats why it was known as Canary Island & the workers were nicknamed Canary's.
Thank you - should have realised it was somehow associated with Blythe's
Old 20-02-2014, 09:27   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
On April 27th 1917 an explosion occured at Canary Island Church.
P.C. James Hardacre lost his life closing magazine doors which saved Church and its residents from being destroyed, even so. much damage was caused and windows were broke nearly a mile away.
Police Constable, James Hardacre was postumously awarded the Kings Police Medal for bravery. The following firemen received the O.B.E. Supeintendant E.Ware, 2nd Officer F. Barnes, 3rd Officer J Roberts Accrington Fire Brigade. Superintendant R. Walker, Sergt E. Paley & W. Schofield, of Church Fire Brigade. Walter Schoffields medal is now in Haworth Art Gallery. A Police Constable H. Bradbury is also thought to have been awarded th Kings Police Medal, but so far no records has been found. As P.C. Bradbury was from Oswaldtwistle and had two children, I'm wondering if any Accy Webbers can throw any light on the matter.
Retlaw.
My Great Uncle Edward Smalley also received the OBE as a result of this explosion. He was with the Oswaldtwistle Fire Service based at the Town Hall.
jihacking is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..