Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-02-2013, 13:05   #1
Junior Member+

Cherry Clough?

Having recently researched the Aspin family tree, I have discovered that members of the family had been born at Cherry Clough, as quoted in the 1871 Census.
Does anyone have any information on the location of Cherry Clough?

Mining is a possible thread and also Green Howarth is a possibility.
WOODNOOK66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-02-2013, 15:15   #2
I am Banned

Re: Cherry Clough?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOODNOOK66 View Post
Having recently researched the Aspin family tree, I have discovered that members of the family had been born at Cherry Clough, as quoted in the 1871 Census.
Does anyone have any information on the location of Cherry Clough?

Mining is a possible thread and also Green Howarth is a possibility.
1871 Benjamin Aspin living at Cherrry Clough, born Darwen.
Previous page shows Bedlam, following page Victoria Pit, Friar Hill, & Meadow Top. So that puts it somewhere on the Green Haworth side of Friar Hill.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 19:45   #3
Junior Member+

Benjamin Aspin is one of my great grandfathers, and I am trying to nail where the place Cherry Clough was in Green Haworth.
Thanks Bernard Woodhead
Old 25-02-2013, 14:18   #4

There are some burial records for several Aspins at Cherry Clough on the Lancashire OPC site:

Ellen Aspin | Betsy Ann & Lydia Aspin | Henry & Alice Aspin

All are recorded as Immanuel, Oswaldtwistle but nothing more specific than that.

You can view a selection of different old maps of Green Howarth at old-maps.co.uk - I had a quick look on a few but couldn't see anything. The print is very small though.
Pudwoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2013, 19:10   #5
Junior Member+

Thanks. I am compiling a family tree of the ASPINS my mother was Mary Aspin , Grandfather Caleb Aspin, Great Grandfather William Aspin, and Great Great Grand Father
Benjamin Aspin. They are all linked to Cherry Clough, but I am unable to locate the place.
Old 25-02-2013, 19:54   #6

Cherry Clough only appeared in 2 Census records for 1861 and 1871 and I have checked the enumerators lists for 1851 and 1881 but it does not appear in those.

You need to find a large scale map of the area as near to those dates as you can and then follow the enumerators walk to see if you can find any buildings on the map which are not listed by name.

Whilst doing my own research on a small village in Haslingden we used that method and then went to find any ruins in the area which may have been occupied but which were not named on any maps.

If you go down into Accrington Library and see John Simpson in the Local Studies Department he may have maps which could help.
anzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 14:47   #7

Retlaw's analysis of the census is obviously correct in locating the area of Cherry Clough. I'm sure that I remember an Accyweb Member saying that they used to live at Friar Hill, perhaps he or she might have some info. As a matter of interest, though, there is a Cherryclough Way in Blackburn. I wonder from where the developer got the name?

Last edited by davidf; 02-03-2013 at 14:52. Reason: Additional comment.
davidf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 18:12   #8
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidf View Post
Retlaw's analysis of the census is obviously correct in locating the area of Cherry Clough. I'm sure that I remember an Accyweb Member saying that they used to live at Friar Hill, perhaps he or she might have some info. As a matter of interest, though, there is a Cherryclough Way in Blackburn. I wonder from where the developer got the name?
Perhaps from Cherry Tree, a village outside the old borough boundary

There's a Brian Clough Way in Nottingham

Cherry Clough must not be far from Priestley Clough. I susopect that the hiouyses you are looking for were simply named after a long-existing name for that valley-like landscape.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 20:49   #9
Junior Member+

Thanks for your reply. I have looked on the old maps of accrington 1860,s and have found no reference, Cherry Clough is referenced in the batisims of several births from ST JAMES
I have drawn a blank trying to research the location
B,Woodhead

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..