Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By susie123
  • 1 Post By Retlaw

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2013, 20:12   #1
Junior Member+

Christ Church street/area

Hello, we have just moved in to the area from Whalley Road and would love to see some old pictures or know more about the history/stories have done a lot of searching but pictures seem to be none existent. Many thanks!!
TheWatsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-03-2013, 20:20   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Christ Church street/area

Retlaw n Atarah may be able to help yeh.
Old 01-03-2013, 20:54   #3
Senior Member+

In the library, photos are indexed under streets. You can buy copies. There are several of Manchester Rd and I recall one of Christ Church St looking towards the church. I think it shows a mayoral parade
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 21:23   #4
Resting In Peace

Here's a photo to be going on with...

Photo of Accrington, Christ Church 1897 - Francis Frith
claytonx and TheWatsons like this.
Old 01-03-2013, 22:28   #5
I am Banned

Heres one 1847
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Christ Church.a.jpg (26.1 KB, 48 views)
TheWatsons likes this.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 23:11   #6
Junior Member+

Blimey, I cannot believe how amazing the church was!! I've lived here 26 years and until we went to view our house I didnt even know of the area (we love it!). Thank you so much for the pictures and for the tip about the library, I'm off there in the morning!!
Old 29-03-2013, 20:31   #7
Junior Member+

Just thought I would try again for some more photographs and information please? I have been told some great stories about our house from the neighbours but unfortunately still no pictures
Old 05-04-2013, 18:44   #8
Senior Member+

What number you living at? I used to live at number 5 for a good few years.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:18   #9
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Here's a photo to be going on with...

Photo of Accrington, Christ Church 1897 - Francis Frith
Great photos Susie after clicking on to the small ones.
claytonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2013, 22:07   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatsons View Post
Hello, we have just moved in to the area from Whalley Road and would love to see some old pictures or know more about the history/stories have done a lot of searching but pictures seem to be none existent. Many thanks!!
Hi there!! I hope you found loads of interesting stuff about the Christ Church area. If you haven't already seen it from someone else I have a few old pictures of the area and a large article written ages back about the area around Wellington Street. I bought the property on the end of Wellington Street a few years back (the curved fronted building that you see when you come to the bottom of Timber Street) and the previous owners left a few framed photographs and the large newspaper article behind. The previous owners were the people that have the North Lancs Training Group. They also have an office at the bottom of Timber Street and perhaps if you popped in they might have kept some other stuff for you to look at. They didn't ask for the pictures back and we chat to some of the workers now and again, they are all very nice! You would be quite welcome to have a look one day. Send me a pm if you are interested and I will arrange a visit.
bekibird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2013, 09:00   #11
Senior Member+

I would like to hear that the Watsons have been in the library and are not just relying on the benevolence of others. Whilst in there, they should look at the card index file which lists all street names and explains why that street is so called. Much of the research on these names was done by Atarah.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..