Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-03-2008, 15:07   #1

Church Kirk School

I wonder if anyone has a photo of Church Kirk School. I know that it was pulled down years ago but someone may have an old postcard or photo of the school that I went to from 1933-1940.Best Wishes to you all in Accy from a former Grammar School lad Jim Procter
Jim Procter is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-03-2008, 19:39   #2
Member.

Re: Church Kirk School

Hi Jim, I’ve been asking and looking for a year or two, no luck up to now but if anything comes up I’ll let you know. I was there in the 60s, can I ask if you remember Alan and Maureen Douglas, lived on Canal Street both would have been there mid 30s to the early 40s.

Doug

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2008, 14:22   #3

Hello Doug Sorry that I cant remember the children that you name but it is so long ago that quite frankly I have forgotten most of the kids that went to the school. I can remember the Headmaster Mr Greenwood and another male teacher who I think was called Mr Barlow. He was called into the forces about 1940 and he lived up West End Ossy.There was a lovely teacher called Mrs Golden who lived up Dill Hall Lane and another lady called Miss Taylor. Apart from those I cant remember anymore.I am getting on a bit nearly 77 and my memory lets me down sometimes.
But to get to the good news. I have had an E-Mail from a dear friend in Accy who tells me that she has unearthed an old Photo of the school. As soon as I receive it I will get in touch and send you a copy All the Best to you Doug and all in Accy Jim
Jim Procter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2008, 02:08   #4
Senior Member+

Hi Jim, glad to hear you may be getting a photo. would you let me have a copy of it when you get. I would love to add it to my school photos cos I have none of Church schools.

June
Accrington.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2008, 11:29   #5
Member.

Hi Jim, Thank you. I've sent you an e-mail.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2011, 03:14   #6
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Hi Jim, Thank you. I've sent you an e-mail.
Just seen your post re church kirk school (I'm a new member) I was there 1949 to 1954 and lived on Dinely Street.

Wuff
wuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2011, 06:35   #7

I was at church kirk school 1953 to 1958,sorry no pictures only memories,mrs grimshaw(granny from beverley hill billies),mrs hope,mr holden,mr chew,mr aspen headmaster,good times,a time of innocence.The site was never redeveloped,just a derelict waste land now,unfortunately like a lot of church is now.
b rawlinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2011, 03:27   #8
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by b rawlinson View Post
I was at church kirk school 1953 to 1958,sorry no pictures only memories,mrs grimshaw(granny from beverley hill billies),mrs hope,mr holden,mr chew,mr aspen headmaster,good times,a time of innocence.The site was never redeveloped,just a derelict waste land now,unfortunately like a lot of church is now.
I think you forgot a couple of names - Miss Almond and Miss Richardson. Miss Richardson became Mrs Holden and his parents had a grocery shop on Blackburn Road. Regarding Miss Almond Bill Aspden the headmaster played a trick on us when he announced at one end of term assembly that Miss Almond was leaving. We were all very sad because she was well liked. At the assembly at the beginning of the next term Bill referred to her leaving and said he had brought in a replacement Mrs (xyz) cant remember the name. in walked the former Miss Almond who had married. Great laughter and relieve all round.
Bill Aspden and Alec Chew would sometimes get involved in the luchtime football or cricket games in the schoolyard - one on each side. When the mood caught them they would send all the girls back into school at the end of lunch (dinner) time and continue the games well into the afternoon. A shocking waste of educational resources and pointing children in the wrong direction altogether.Funny thing was the school had a record breaking year in 1954 when around six of us passed eleven plus.

Wuff
wuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 16:23   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by b rawlinson View Post
Do you remember Peter Salmon Who was there around the same time? Demain Twibs? Dawson Twins? Michael Stirzaker?
Carol Salmon is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..