Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Retlaw
  • 1 Post By steve2qec

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2012, 13:18   #1

Post Coucher Book Of Kirkstall Abbey

I've heard this book referenced numerous times when talking about early settlement in the area. I did some hunting and found out that it was copied and annotated in 1904 as "The coucher book of the Cistercian abbey of Kirkstall, in the West Riding of the county of York". I also managed to find a copy available to read for free online via Open Library - here's the link.

The main document is still in Latin, but has modern English annotation throughout. There are references to Accrington and Huncoat on pages 53, 196, 197, 198, 201, 284, 345 and 346. There also seem to be references to Rishton on a few other pages - need to double check that. Using Google Translate you can get the general info if not an entirely accurate translation.
Pudwoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-06-2012, 13:18   #2

Re: Coucher Book Of Kirkstall Abbey

Here are a few that I've done already:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pg 196

CCLXXVI

[Grant of Accrington with its appurtenances, by Robert de Lacy.]

Akerinton
Robertus de Laci, de Akerint[on]

Be it known to all, present and future, that I, Robert de Laci [1] for the love of God and the salvation of my soul and that of my wife Isabel, and all of the heirs of our ancestors, have given and granted to, and by this my charter confirmed to God and to the monks of St Mary and Kirk(estal) the whole of Akarinton [2], with the wood which is called La Haia de Akarinton [literally translated as 'Accrington of the Hedge'], with all their appurtenances without any reservation in all places. The heirs to hold of me, and out of my pure and perpetual alms, free and quiet, and free from all earthly service and secular demand, through the boundaries and the boundaries of verse, that which is called Wirmeleiacloch Hunecotes far as the rill, and in this way in a straight line through the middle of the mountain, even to the names of Hameldon, and more from across the Ormestanes, and thence down to Warineden, and thence down to the head streams, called Bracabroc, and then as he came down stream in Bastanedenecloch, and thence to the head of the Essenclough, and thence down to Readdelache, and thence in a straight line as far as Orsethes, and thence through the stream that flows and the stream called Amteleiasic that flows unto the water called Hindeburn. I and my heirs the aforesaid lands to these with the aforesaid the different goals and will warrant and defend the aforesaid monks let us give it everywhere and for all men. Witnesses. [3]

1 Son of Henry de Lacy: the grantor of No. i.xviii.

2 The Fundacio Abbathie de Kirkstall states that Accrington was given to the monks by Robert de Lacy, in compensation for the loss of Cliviger. It had previously been granted by Henry de Lacy to Hugh de Altham: Whitaker prints the grant in the Whalley, vol. ii, p. 265 (edition 1872-6), and states that by arrangement the vill was taken back by Robert de Lacy, for the purpose of being bestowed on the abbey. This statement seems to be supported by the next charter above (No. cci.xxvii), which is a quit-claim by William, son of Hugh de Altham, in favour of the monks. Yet that there was some haziness in the title of the abbey to Accrington is suggested by a Fine passed in 6 Edward 1, between Gilbert, abbat of Kirkstall, plaintiff, and William de Altham, defendant, as to a messuage and a caracate of land in Accrington. William acknowledged the tenement, namely, that which the abbat had in the said vill of his inheritance, to be the right of the abbey, and for this quitclaim the abbat gave him eighty marks (Final Concords, County of Lancaster; i, 153).

3 Dugdale's Monasticon, v, p. 535. Witnesses, Samson de Wridlesford, Adam de Ranervill and Thomas his son, Thomas FitzPeter, William de Lungvillers, Henry de Moniaic, Geoffrey Hanselin, Helias Camerarius.

Pg 197

CCLXXVII.

[Quitclaim of the vill of Accrington by William de Altham]

Willelmus de Elvetham, de quieta clamacione.

Let it be known to all the children of the Holy Church, present and to come, that I, William, the son of Hugh de Eluetham, with the assent of Richard, son and heir of the will, and, for the love of God and the salvation of my soul and that of my wife, and all of the heirs of our ancestors, have given and granted to, and by this my charter confirmed to God and to the monks of St Mary and Kirk(estal) forever, all the right which I or my ancestors claim the whole we have had in the Willem de Akarint(on), with the everywhere all its appurtenances, without any reservation, in the pure and perpetual alms: to hold freely and quietly, stir in such a way that I and my heirs can ever claim or claim against the said monks of the Akarinton not concerning any appurtenances in the town of ever, will warrant them, but the town of the aforesaid Aker(inton) with all its appurtenances, and defend the everywhere and for all men. Witnesses.

Pg 198

CCLXXIX.

[Quitclaim by William de Huncote son of Elias de Billington of his land between Huncoat and Accrington]

Confirmacio Helie de Bilingt(on) [1] de terra de Acringt(on).

Know all present and future that I, William de Vnecotes [1], the son of Helie de Bilingtun, I have given, granted, that is at ease cried out to, and by this my charter confirmed to God and the monks of St. Mary of the Kir(kestal) the whole earth, and in all the wood in the woods and in the plane places on the part of God above the Hunecotes and Acrinton, through these boundaries and the boundaries, namely the heap of stones in the head above Fernihah del Alresnape Cressewelle, and from then until the end of the Withinesnape, and even then linialiter Orsnapecloh, and following the Orsnapecloh until the end of the wood, and following the edge of the wood to the Nort el Malesidecloh Rielai, hold and to have the monks, freely and quietly, without any opposition or hindrance from me or my heirs all my friends, to make of it whatever they wish, with this exception William and my heirs that I have to share however, our cattle to the pasture Mallesidecloh. From the wood so that nothing will take, nor does any work of the hands within the boundaries aforesaid, we will do. You may, however, the the monks do their theology, wherever they want within the the said marches, and be it known that I, William, and heirs of the I never claim or a claim or stir we shall be able to move against the aforesaid monks, that in respect of any is within the aforesaid bounds and marches, to me, and the heirs, without breach of But my common pasture our cattle, as said. These being witnesses.

1 The Heading is incorrect.

2 This man was prove the concepts of the man of Billington, plaintiff in Vol. xxiii. There is an interesting article on Billington and so Lords in the Transactions of the Historic Society of Lancashire and Cheshire for 1872-3.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please no comments on how crappy my latin translations are - believe me I know I'll do some more when I get chance - feel free to correct any mistakes I've made if you're latin literate.
Old 10-06-2012, 14:26   #3
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudwoppa View Post
I've heard this book referenced numerous times when talking about early settlement in the area. I did some hunting and found out that it was copied and annotated in 1904 as "The coucher book of the Cistercian abbey of Kirkstall, in the West Riding of the county of York". I also managed to find a copy available to read for free online via Open Library - here's the link.

The main document is still in Latin, but has modern English annotation throughout. There are references to Accrington and Huncoat on pages 53, 196, 197, 198, 201, 284, 345 and 346. There also seem to be references to Rishton on a few other pages - need to double check that. Using Google Translate you can get the general info if not an entirely accurate translation.
Bit late with that, don't want to put you off what your doing, I obtained a copy of the Coucher Book of Kirstall Abbey, some 30 odd years ago when the Public Record Office was in Chancery Lane.
Translated the important bits relating to this part of Lancashire.
Some of it has already been posted on Accy Web.
The Rev W.H. Burgess also included parts of the Coucher Book of Kirkstall in his History of Accrington, back in 1920.
As for Google translate, your flogging a dead horse, a lot of the Coucher book is written in Church Latin, I had to get a high ranking Catholic Priest, to tranlate some of it, the words in question were not in any dictionary's in Accy Library.
Retlaw.
Kevin Rishton likes this.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 14:51   #4
Full Member+

Thanks for that Pud.
Kevin Rishton likes this.
steve2qec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 15:41   #5

^^I've seen posts where you've mentioned the translations Retlaw, but I haven't seen them on here - I'll have another search through the archives. I'm aware that you're sometimes reluctant to share aspects of your research (which is fair enough), so I didn't really want to ask. If you have an accurate translation that you'd be willing to share, it would be very much appreciated. If not, no problem.

^Glad it was useful Steve.
Old 10-06-2012, 18:21   #6
I am Banned

This is the earlier post I mentioned

COUCHER BOOK of KIRKSTALL ABBEY

AS IT RELATES TO ACCRINGTON
(c) W.Holmes F.R.C.P.J.

ALTHAM
Former name Alvetham, also called Elvetham, the habitation of Elvet, a Manor or and Township on the western bank of the river Calder, which was part the lands granted by Henry de Laci, the first, (probably in the reign of Stephen de Bois), to Hugh son of Lofwine, or Leofwine, a Saxon Lord.
This charter, the second point in antiquity which I shall be able to cite in this work, is as follows.
From early records it can be established that a large area of this Country after the invasion by William the Conqueror in 1066, was granted to his cousin Roger de Montgomery. Montgomery's son Roger de Poitevin was granted all the lands between the Ribble & Mersey. He built Lancaster Castle & granted the manor & hundred of Blackburn to Albert de Greslet & Roger de Busli.

By the middle of the llth century a large part of Lancashire was in hands of a previously minor Baron, Robert de Laci, (son of Ilbert) Roberts second son Henry, made an agreement with Hugh son of Leofwine the Saxon, (shown below) the occupier of Atham, Accrington & the surroundinc area, Hugh had three grandsons who took the names de Altham, de Billington & de Pleasington, their names will appear on later documents in the subsequent disputes with the Monks of Kirkstall Abbey.

When Robert de Laci son of Henry & the last male heir died, circa
(he granted Accrington to the Honks of Kirkstall) the lands passed to the descendant of his Aunt Aubrey, his cousin Aubrey, she had married Robert FitzEustace, their son John changed his name to de Laci when he became Constable of Chester. His grandson Henry Earl of Lincoln died in 1311 ad, and his holdings went to Alice his daughter, the Countess of Salisbury & Lincoln, she had married Thomas Earl of Lancaster, nephew of Edward II.

Thomas was executed for treason against his uncle in 1322, Alice then to sign everything over to Edward the II, this was done at Newcastle on 3rd Aug 1324, from that day Lancashire has been Crown Lands, (a record in the Coucher book of Kirkstall shows that Edward II had possesion of these lands in 1322 when the monks of Kirkstall Abbey tried to claim paynent for lands in Accrington).

Their son Thomas was later made Earl of Derby, one of his decendants later changed the family name back to de Laci.

This Is the first document which relates to Accrington
Sciant presentes et futuri quod ego Henricus de Laceia <dedi concessi et hac presenti Carta mea confirmavi Hogoni filio Lofwini et heredibus suis in feodo et hereditate Elvetham, Clayton, et Accrington et dimidiam Bylington, cum donacione monasierii de Elvetham, et in omnibus libertatibus predicte
terra pertimentibus, Tenendum de me et heredibus meis
libre et quiete honorifice et plenarie, in bosco, in plano, on pasturis, in campis, in aquis. in piscaria, in molendinis, in venatibus, in omnibus predictis terris, Faciendo nobis et heredibus nostris servicum dimidi militid pro omnibus servicus ad nos pertinentibus. Hujus donacionis et confirmacionis sunt testes.

Richardus filius Gilberti, Adam Eile, Petrus Huett de Bencestria, Hustatius Malvuers, Hugo Day, Stephanus de Mvtton.William Elemosinarius, cum multis aliis.

Retlaw
Old 11-06-2012, 00:00   #7
Senior Member+

Thanks to Pudwoppa & Retlaw for these postings. They are very useful insights into our early history.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:20   #8

^^ Thanks Retlaw - an interesting and much appreciated read.

^ You're welcome Bob.

From what I've read so far, the individual entries all use place names and loose geographical features to designate the lands changing hands - seems quite an arbitrary method and very open to disputes.
Old 11-06-2012, 18:15   #9
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudwoppa View Post
^^ Thanks Retlaw - an interesting and much appreciated read.

^ You're welcome Bob.

From what I've read so far, the individual entries all use place names and loose geographical features to designate the lands changing hands - seems quite an arbitrary method and very open to disputes.
Not in those days. No streets, No houses, No Electric Pylons, No Lodges, Ponds, Culverts, Rights of Way, or any of the present day emcumbrances. Just well known land marks as fixed reference points, and the fear of the wrath of God, if you argued with the thieving monks.
Can you wonder at the King disolving the Monastaries. they were becoming to rich & powerfull for their own good, as well as their suppression of the masses, with their tithes and tolls, leaving nowt for King to tax..
Retlaw.

Last edited by Retlaw; 11-06-2012 at 18:18.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..