Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-09-2004, 13:39   #1
Senior Member+

Did you know that ....

George Formby's wife Beryl, came from Accrington? She was formerly MISS BERLY INGHAM and her parents kept the WELCOME INN, in Elephant Street, Accrington.
Beryl and George met at a small variety theatre at Castleford in Yorkshire, when Berly was appearing as the world's champion clog dancer and George was appearing in a minstrel show.
Beryl, after the wedding, gave up a stage career to become George's secretary. Beryl used to have family here, I wonder if there are any left?

Photo taken by Owd Bert (1966) - the white building on the LH side was the pub.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg elephantstreetabc1966_resize.jpg (91.6 KB, 291 views)

Last edited by Atarah; 15-09-2004 at 13:44.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-09-2004, 14:42   #2
mez
God Member

Re: Did you know that ....

ooo look at the lovley cobbles in that st.
Old 15-09-2004, 15:34   #3
God Member

Isn't Elephant Street where they buried an elephant from a touring circus that died while it was here? Atarah?
Old 15-09-2004, 15:45   #4
Resting in peace

Is that what the elephant in Wolstenhomes is for then?
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2004, 16:29   #5
Resident Waffler

When I first saw that photo (Remember me asking about Elephant St months ago) I just thought that was two normal terraced houses but it being a pub explains the lamp and the bracket thing in the wall which I must admit I didn't notice before.

Oh and yes it was called Elephant St to commemorate the death of a circus elephant.

MUST ring Wolstenholmes to ask about that flippin thing.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2004, 06:10   #6

George Formby's wife Beryl, came from Accrington? She was formerly MISS BERYL INGHAM and her parents kept the WELCOME INN, in Elephant Street, Accrington.

One of her relatives must have been Dave Ingham....he could clog dance...every Friday night after the pubs had closed.
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2004, 16:40   #7

The information gathered here was gleaned from a search of the web. So there is no guarantee of the accuracy for this information. It may be of use if someone wanted to get started on the genealogy for George or Beryl.

Born George Hoy Booth in Westminster Street, Wigan in 26th May 1904, died 6 Mar 1961. Buried Warrington Cemetery in the family grave. Eldest child of Eliza Ann Hoy and James Booth, who was a music hall comedian using the stage name George Formby

His final heart attack occurred at the home of his fiancée, Patricia Howson, 36. The couple were due to marry in May.

The announcement of their engagement in February was a surprise to many, coming as it did just two months after the death of Beryl, Formby's wife of 36 years. Beryl died either Christmas Day, or Christmas Eve, 1960.

In 1923, George met the woman who would change his life. Beryl Ingham, who with her sister May, worked as a clog dancing team, 'The Two Violets', was not impressed with George's act.

He and Beryl were married in September 1924

His final heart attack occurred at the home of his fiancée, Patricia Howson, 36. The couple were due to marry in May. Ms Howson died in 1971
Old 27-06-2011, 17:26   #8

COULD I ENCORIDGE ALL FANS OF ACCRINGTONS BERYL INGHAM (Wife of George Formby) TO EMAIL WETHERSPOONS AND REQUEST THEY INCLUDE A PICTURE OF BERYL ON THE WALL AS THEY HAVE DONE IN BLACKBURN FOR GEORGE FORMBY. IT IS A GOLDEN OPPORTUNITY TO HAVE BERYL RECOCNISED HERE IN ACCRINGTON AS A LOCAL TALLENT AND IN PARTICULAR FOR HER NOTED CLOG DANCING LET ALONE AS MANAGER OF THE LATE GEORGE FORMBY. MANY THANKS.
MrPastry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2011, 08:01   #9

Can I just thank those of you who took the trouble to email Wetherspoons direct requesting a photo of Beryl in our new spoons. All our efforts paid off and they have on display a lovely picture of Beryl and George together with plenty of text about both of them. Thank you all and in particular Wetherspoons for a lovely tribute.
MrPastry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 20:38   #10

Well I wonder... Thanks to this old post getting resurected I may have discovered a family link to the the great ukelele player himself. My paternal Great Grandmother was an Ingham and her family lived at 19 Pitt Street from the 1880s. Adopting the theory that the acorn never falls far from the tree... who knows
MovedtoBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 23:01   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovedtoBolton View Post
Well I wonder... Thanks to this old post getting resurected I may have discovered a family link to the the great ukelele player himself. My paternal Great Grandmother was an Ingham and her family lived at 19 Pitt Street from the 1880s. Adopting the theory that the acorn never falls far from the tree... who knows
Well having browsed as bit more both on Accyweb and wider afield any link seems a bit more tenuous but hey ho...
MovedtoBolton is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..