Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-05-2012, 09:45   #16
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!
Re: Elephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
sure its not donkey
One doesn't like to blow one's own trumpet.
Old 19-05-2012, 09:54   #17
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
One doesn't like to blow one's own trumpet.
You and your good lady will have to visit when your next over, I'll ask her
Old 19-05-2012, 10:02   #18
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
You and your good lady will have to visit when your next over, I'll ask her
Being the charitable folk we are we may pay you a visit, we like to do nice things for the underprivileged.
Old 19-05-2012, 10:18   #19
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Being the charitable folk we are we may pay you a visit, we like to do nice things for the underprivileged.
Don't forget to bring a food parcel
Old 19-05-2012, 10:27   #20
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Don't forget to bring a food parcel
Ah yes, some of the local culinary delights, a sooggy sossy roll from Greggs, a bag of crisps & let's push the boat out shall we & have a sugary fizzy drink to boot, Tizer do you ?
Old 19-05-2012, 10:50   #21
Resting In Peace

Quote:
How interesting susie, can remember my mum giving me beechams flu powders when I was young, in fact I can still remember the bitter taste, she used to mix it with milk or water, to take the tang off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hassy rvr View Post
Ahh Beechams powders I just emptied the packet onto my tongue loved the taste ahh memories
Probably not a good idea to take Beechams pills when you needed the powders and vice versa!
Old 19-05-2012, 10:52   #22
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Right as this is Heritage & history I'll apologise to Lancs Stan for wandering off topic (with the help of that there Jaysay) Anyways, your original question was did it happen ? Of course not, it's simply a humorous little anecdote concocted to sell whatever pills & potions were being offered up.

If & it's a big if, a Nelly escaped from a travelling circus (which is plausible) it certainly wouldn't beeline for specifics as stated in the "adds" commentary :-

When the show reaches St. Helens, which is in the Lacashire circuit the elephant will, no doubt drop into Mr. Beecham's establishment and help himself to a few hundred boxes of pills to counteract the effects of his Chorley and Accrington feasts,

Direct targeting, blatant touting of Mr.Beecham's wares, so no marvellous happenings, simply a ripping yarn to sell something.
Old 19-05-2012, 11:04   #23
God Member

I vaguely recall reading here that there was some local incident involving an elephant from a travelling circus many years ago, that resulted in the naming of Elephant Street.

I have used 'search' but can't find it.
Does anyone else remember reading it?

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2012, 11:25   #24
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I vaguely recall reading here that there was some local incident involving an elephant from a travelling circus many years ago, that resulted in the naming of Elephant Street.

Posts 3 and 5 on this thread, Margaret.

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...that-5590.html
Old 19-05-2012, 12:17   #25
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Posts 3 and 5 on this thread, Margaret.

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...that-5590.html
Thank you for finding it.
Now I am assured that I have a reasonably good memory and am not suffering early dementia

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2012, 12:41   #26
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Thank you for finding it.
Now I am assured that I have a reasonably good memory and am not suffering early dementia
Pleased to have been of service Margaret. I can't rest till I have tracked something down that I recollect so I know how you feel!
Old 19-05-2012, 13:45   #27
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Ah yes, some of the local culinary delights, a soggy sossy roll from Greggs, a bag of crisps & let's push the boat out shall we & have a sugary fizzy drink to boot, Tizer do you ?
A six pack of Old Peculiar would be better
Old 19-05-2012, 13:47   #28
Resting in Peace

Quote:

Where's Elephant Street Margaret, can't say I've ever heard of that
Old 19-05-2012, 14:11   #29
I am Banned

Quote:
Elephant St was off Plantation St, its now long gone under the houses on the right as you enter Plantation St, from the Traffic light at the start of East Gate.
Legend has it that a circus elephant dropped dead in that area in the early 1800's. Never found any proof though. A lot of the original housing dated from the mid 1840's, Birtwistle St was then known as Plantation St, Pitt St, now East Gate, was John St.
Retlaw.

Last edited by Retlaw; 19-05-2012 at 14:14. Reason: Spell
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2012, 15:03   #30
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Elephant St was off Plantation St, its now long gone under the houses on the right as you enter Plantation St, from the Traffic light at the start of East Gate.
Legend has it that a circus elephant dropped dead in that area in the early 1800's. Never found any proof though. A lot of the original housing dated from the mid 1840's, Birtwistle St was then known as Plantation St, Pitt St, now East Gate, was John St.
Retlaw.
John, Elephant street has been mentioned in several threads in the past, if you do a search. When I first joined I had to ask where it was and turned out I had walked past it every day on my way to and from primary school!

As for the dead elephant "legend", I copied this from a post by katex on an old thread:

Found an interesting one in a book 'An Accrington Miscellany' Frank Davy tells of:-

'It was a death that gave Elephant Street its name. In 1845 and elephant called "Chimney", purchased by Wombwell for his circus and standing 11ft 4ins. high and weighing more than 5 tons, died in Accrington. This tragedy, caused so much local interest that a street under construction was named Elephant Street to commemorate the event'

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..