Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-08-2009, 19:25   #16

Re: English Electric Company (Clayton-le-moors).

I saw a cooker today that was made by the English Electric company
mattylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 29-08-2009, 18:53   #17
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by miners boy View Post
Started my apprenticeship in 1964 and what a good one it was served me well last 45 years.Remember Ted Potter and think Bimpson was in charge.Worked in A shop Q line and Hydrotell mills among other sections.Sad when you think of all those lost jobs and skills.
I recall Albert Bimpson. Nice chap. Last saw him about 30-years ago in Oswaldtwistle Library. Was quite poorly at the time and like Ronnie Moss, is no longer with us. I remember that the two of them used to take the pee out of Peter Sagar something rotten. Reckon they were envious of Peter's attractive wife!
Stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2009, 19:23   #18
God Member

Bimpson is an unusual name.
I recall a family named Bimpson living on Hornby St in my early childhood.
A lad named Victor Bimpson was a pal of my brother - he will/would be about age 70 now.
Is this the same family?

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2009, 01:12   #19

Love this thread, as we live on Blackburn Rd, up to 1970, I used to watch all the traffic coming up Blackburn Rd to the traffic lights and branch off left & right at the lights, the traffic at that time was unbelievable, on Blackburn - Burnley Rd, with industy such as English Electrc, the Spanyards Mill, Royal Mill, Altham Pit, Gilbraiths, Ironfields, buses coming and going all the time, fond memories of hearing the clogirons on the flags in the mornings of the workers going to there workplaces, that part of Clayton was a very buisy place, three fish & chip shops, two butchers, five or six mixed buisness, tobaconist, three bakers, The CooP, with its various departments, barbers shop, two paper shops, sorry to digress but it was fanastic when I now think about it, a little town like Clayton and all that activity, other industy, Broadleys and Cambridge Press, printing works. Slingers Abotiors, Lens cooked meat factory, Pooles and whitewells icecream. no wonder there was very little unemployment, our parents wouldnt let us sit around, can anybody add to the the indusrty of Clayton, oh I neerly forgot thr Nori, not to mention all the the industry down the bottom end.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2009, 08:10   #20
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin View Post
Love this thread, as we live on Blackburn Rd, up to 1970, I used to watch all the traffic coming up Blackburn Rd to the traffic lights and branch off left & right at the lights, the traffic at that time was unbelievable, on Blackburn - Burnley Rd, with industy such as English Electrc, the Spanyards Mill, Royal Mill, Altham Pit, Gilbraiths, Ironfields, buses coming and going all the time, fond memories of hearing the clogirons on the flags in the mornings of the workers going to there workplaces, that part of Clayton was a very buisy place, three fish & chip shops, two butchers, five or six mixed buisness, tobaconist, three bakers, The CooP, with its various departments, barbers shop, two paper shops, sorry to digress but it was fanastic when I now think about it, a little town like Clayton and all that activity, other industy, Broadleys and Cambridge Press, printing works. Slingers Abotiors, Lens cooked meat factory, Pooles and whitewells icecream. no wonder there was very little unemployment, our parents wouldnt let us sit around, can anybody add to the the indusrty of Clayton, oh I neerly forgot thr Nori, not to mention all the the industry down the bottom end.
Slingers was a Boning Shop, not n abotiors Al,building is still yon, me n darwendosser started there easter 63 from leaving school.
Old 30-08-2009, 15:06   #21
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin View Post
Love this thread, as we live on Blackburn Rd, up to 1970, I used to watch all the traffic coming up Blackburn Rd to the traffic lights and branch off left & right at the lights, the traffic at that time was unbelievable, on Blackburn - Burnley Rd, with industy such as English Electrc, the Spanyards Mill, Royal Mill, Altham Pit, Gilbraiths, Ironfields, buses coming and going all the time, fond memories of hearing the clogirons on the flags in the mornings of the workers going to there workplaces, that part of Clayton was a very buisy place, three fish & chip shops, two butchers, five or six mixed buisness, tobaconist, three bakers, The CooP, with its various departments, barbers shop, two paper shops, sorry to digress but it was fanastic when I now think about it, a little town like Clayton and all that activity, other industy, Broadleys and Cambridge Press, printing works. Slingers Abotiors, Lens cooked meat factory, Pooles and whitewells icecream. no wonder there was very little unemployment, our parents wouldnt let us sit around, can anybody add to the the industry of Clayton, oh I neerly forgot thr Nori, not to mention all the the industry down the bottom end.
'Hygiene' Clayton Laundry was always a hive of industry with it's little vans scurrying about delivering and collecting. Understand they had a contract with Accy Vic' when it was a 'real hospital'. There was also the chemical factory on the banks of the River Hyndburn, hence the name: 'River Stink'. Then Rishton Paper Mill which lay in the dip on the Blackburn Road border with Rishton and C-l-moors. My folks used to tell me you could change your job every day if the week if you were that way inclined. Bliss, eh!'

Last edited by Stumped; 30-08-2009 at 15:10.
Old 04-09-2009, 06:04   #22

Boning shop, Cashy!!!!!!!
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 06:38   #23
God Member

Alan , whats sad about this thread, and the Howard and Bullough thead is how many jobs/futures for young people in the area have been lost by the closure of these companies and others , it used to be a natural for a 15 yr old coming out of a local Secondary Modern to apply to one of the local engineering works for an apprenticeship , knowing they would get a good training and day release to the local Tech for furthur education , where the hell have all these skilled tradesmen gone? , Most (like yourself) have left the country looking for a better life , in my view sucesive (sp) British Govts. never valued what they had and threw away a generation
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 17:34   #24
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
Alan , whats sad about this thread, and the Howard and Bullough thead is how many jobs/futures for young people in the area have been lost by the closure of these companies and others , it used to be a natural for a 15 yr old coming out of a local Secondary Modern to apply to one of the local engineering works for an apprenticeship , knowing they would get a good training and day release to the local Tech for furthur education , where the hell have all these skilled tradesmen gone? , Most (like yourself) have left the country looking for a better life , in my view sucesive (sp) British Govts. never valued what they had and threw away a generation
I couldn't have put it better. I left my local secondary school at 15 and went straight into my craft apprenticeship with the said English Electric Company where lifelong skills were acquired and friendships forged that survive to this day. Although I left engineering at age-23 for a police career, I have always valued the life lessons learned through my apprenticeship under the watchful eye of my elders which, again, is something much lacking in today's disrespectful, throwaway society. What on Earth has happened to this once great country of ours?
Old 04-09-2009, 22:12   #25
Member.

After he came out of the RAF in the 50’s my father Alan Douglas worked for Hawker’s at Squires Gate and then English Electric at Warton; I Know he worked on Hunters at Squires Gate and then the Lightening at Warton but I think there was some connection with the Clayton Works.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 22:30   #26
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
After he came out of the RAF in the 50’s my father Alan Douglas worked for Hawker’s at Squires Gate and then English Electric at Warton; I Know he worked on Hunters at Squires Gate and then the Lightening at Warton but I think there was some connection with the Clayton Works.
I am advised that the fuselage and wings were built at Clayton-le-moors and transported for assembly elsewhere.
Old 03-10-2009, 23:11   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattylad View Post
I saw a cooker today that was made by the English Electric company
English Electric had factories throughout the country and manufactured a vast array of products from aircraft to locomotives and cookers to night storage heaters (bought some in the 60s - weighed a ton). They also made their own commercial computers in the 60s and had a computer bureaux in Huyton serving their Liverpool and Clayton sites - anyone heard of the KDF6 and KDF9? - probably not.
Old 11-10-2009, 21:42   #28
Full Member+

See next message.

Last edited by Stumped; 11-10-2009 at 21:51.
Old 11-10-2009, 21:49   #29
Full Member+

I am given to understand that the English Electric factory at Clayton-le-moors was originally conceived as part of the 'Courtaulds' textile group, but was comandeered into an armaments factory at the onset of WW2. Derilect aircraft engine test-beds were pointed out to me during my apprenticeship days in the 1950/60's. Maybe older subscribers can enlighten us more on the history of the site?

Last edited by Stumped; 11-10-2009 at 21:51.
Old 11-10-2009, 22:04   #30
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumped View Post
I am given to understand that the English Electric factory at Clayton-le-moors was originally conceived as part of the 'Courtaulds' textile group, but was comandeered into an armaments factory at the onset of WW2. Derilect aircraft engine test-beds were pointed out to me during my apprenticeship days in the 1950/60's. Maybe older subscribers can enlighten us more on the history of the site?
That factory was purpose built in 1939, for the production of the Bristol Radial Engine, some people knew then, that there would be a war with Germany, even though Chamberlain thought there would be peace in our time.
My father went to Bristol at Clayton as a machine setter in late 1939.

Other factory's up and down the country were built for the production of war materials at the same time, otherwise we would'nt have had the battle of Britain when Spitfires and Hurricanes beat off the Luftwaffe. Rolls Royce were producing the Merlin Engines in great quantities.

Retlaw.

Last edited by Retlaw; 11-10-2009 at 22:09. Reason: adding
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..