Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-08-2009, 18:00   #1
Full Member+

English Electric Company (Clayton-le-moors).

Having perused the Howard & Bulloughs thread, which I found really interesting as my father worked there in the 1940's after demob from the RAF, I got to reminscing about the English Electric Company at Clayton-le-moors, which was another major employer in the area until the gradual demise of heavy engineering following cancellation of the TSR2 program. I served an apprenticeship there from 1956 and ultimately worked as a machine tool fitter on the MTO section until I left at the age of 24 to take up employment elsewhere. Sam Rawlins was superintendent, Joe Bernie and Frank ? the foremen, with Ken Cottam as chargehand. I trained and worked alongside many wonderfully talented people: Jack Blackwell, Jack Dixon, Jimmy Johnson, Bill Slater, Dave keeley, Malcolm Brooks, Pete Danson, Pete Alexander, Jim Parker, Joe Baron and so many others whose names elude me at the time of writing. My days at English Electric rank among the happiest times of my life when the work ethic seemed so much stronger than it is today.
Stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 21-08-2009, 18:25   #2
God Member

Re: English Electric Company (Clayton-le-moors).

My late gran used to work there...Sheila Mclean (Nee Heys)
Old 21-08-2009, 18:45   #3
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
My late gran used to work there...Sheila Mclean (Nee Heys)
English Electric was a massive industrial complex with many different workshops and departments involving both manufacturing and development of several projects which are barely remembered today. A large ceramics unit ran conjointly with the aircraft and engineering units, together with millwright and electricians workshops. When the whistle blew at days end, the works buses were filled to capacity and jammed the roads in all directions for a time.
Old 21-08-2009, 18:53   #4
God Member

My dad worked there for a while, in the late 50s I think ... we lived on Rishton Rd at the bottom of Charles St. .... I remember the workers pouring down Charles St. when they got off work.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2009, 20:24   #5

The British Aircraft Corporation Tactical Strike/Reconnaissance 2 (TSR-2) was an ill-fated Cold War strike aircraft developed by the British Aircraft Corporation (BAC) for the Royal Air Force (RAF) in the early 1960s
Wikipedia
and Aircraft Net for the photo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TSR2.jpg (227.6 KB, 15 views)
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2009, 11:50   #6
Resting in Peace

My oldest and best friend's father worked in the apprentice school for years ... think machine tool. Was called Ronnie Moss. Not many apprentices didn't know him.

Have no other memories, except my friend did go working in the typing pool when she left school.

They used to have a wonderful open/fun day for employees which I loved.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2009, 13:50   #7
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumped View Post
English Electric Company at Clayton-le-moors,
Every one keep calling it English Electric.
But that factory in Clayton was purpose built for the the Bristol Aircraft Co, they built Bristol Radial Engines. My father started there in 1939 as a tool setter, and worked there throughout the war.

Retlaw
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2009, 14:58   #8
Resting in Peace

my dad Charley Wood worked at e-e for many years in the tool room
darwendosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2009, 18:40   #9
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
My oldest and best friend's father worked in the apprentice school for years ... think machine tool. Was called Ronnie Moss. Not many apprentices didn't know him.

Have no other memories, except my friend did go working in the typing pool when she left school.

They used to have a wonderful open/fun day for employees which I loved.
I remember 'little' Ronnie Moss well, an impatient, bad tempered soul at times, but nonetheless a competant instructer. Ronnie taught us how to use centre lathes and capstans, alongside Ted Potter who supervised the shaping, grinding and milling machine training and Peter Sagar who oversaw the benchwork and fitting. A very capable team who together, coped adequately with youngsters during their 6-month stint in the apprentice school before pointing us to the department they considered us best suited. The English Electric 'Sports Day' was always considered a major event in the annual calendar.
Old 22-08-2009, 19:14   #10
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadey View Post
The British Aircraft Corporation Tactical Strike/Reconnaissance 2 (TSR-2) was an ill-fated Cold War strike aircraft developed by the British Aircraft Corporation (BAC) for the Royal Air Force (RAF) in the early 1960s
Wikipedia
The English Electric 'Deltic' locomotive was one of the company's major successes. It was largely built and assembled at the Strand Road works in Preston, though some components were manufactured at the Clayton-le-moors factory.
Old 23-08-2009, 17:15   #11
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadey View Post
Wikipedia
The English Electric P1 Lightning and the Canberra Bomber were the forerunners to the projected TSR2 and served the country well for many years.
Old 23-08-2009, 19:46   #12

both of my older brothers worked at the english electric for many years alan in the stores alongside a chap from rishton whose surname I remember was warburton unfortunately ronnie our eldest brother a welder there collapsed there and died in the ambulance with alan alongside him the year 1982 Alan is still going strong living in blackburn
keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2009, 22:37   #13
Passed away 25-11-09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Every one keep calling it English Electric.
But that factory in Clayton was purpose built for the the Bristol Aircraft Co, they built Bristol Radial Engines. My father started there in 1939 as a tool setter, and worked there throughout the war.

Retlaw
I wonder if he knew my dad who was there from 1941 to 1945. He was a charge-hand in technical inspection.
Old 27-08-2009, 10:07   #14
Resting in Peace

Can remember English Electric having a Cricket team in the Ribblesdale League, in the
60s and 70s
Old 27-08-2009, 19:47   #15
Junior Member+

Started my apprenticeship in 1964 and what a good one it was served me well last 45 years.Remember Ted Potter and think Bimpson was in charge.Worked in A shop Q line and Hydrotell mills among other sections.Sad when you think of all those lost jobs and skills.
Ajax likes this.
miners boy is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..