Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-09-2011, 17:05   #1
Senior Member+

Entrance gates at top of Avenue Parade

Had a quick peek, but cant see that anything about this has already been posted, so here goes:-

Two commissions from Mid Pennine Arts
Avenue Parade Entrance Commission, Peel Park, Accrington

Deadline: September 27, 2011

Mid Pennine Arts would like to commission an artist/designer to create a sculptural entrance feature for Avenue Parade Entrance, Peel Park. The entrance commands an imposing position within the town and the commission will highlight this position to create impact both visually and emotionally for the community. The new entrance will represent a new life for the park,
encouraging exploration and involvement.
There will be flexibility within what the commission can encompass as part of the overall entrance programme, therefore the commission budget is also reasonably flexible. To accommodate this, 3 designs will be
shortlisted. A small payment will be made to allow the designs to be developed for public
presentation. Additional improvement works that could be included in a proposal as part of an overall treatment for the site. The existing boundary to the side of the entrance is due to be widened and landscaped.
New hard surfacing, fencing, gates, bollards and planting could form part of any new entrance feature.

http://www.midpenninearts.org.uk/ave...nce-commission

Last edited by Atarah; 13-09-2011 at 17:07.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-09-2011, 17:18   #2
God Member

Re: Entrance gates at top of Avenue Parade

I hope they make the gates of plastic otherwise the pike-he's will nick 'em.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2011, 18:14   #3
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
I hope they make the gates of plastic otherwise the pike-he's will nick 'em.

They might be crocheted.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2011, 18:20   #4
Senior Member+

Thanks for this Atarah - I'l get cracking. my design will involve acorns and the letter 'P'. I hope they fare better than did the gates from the Peels' residence 'Accrington House' which were kept in the library yard for years until some itinerant scrap collector came along and removed them from history for ever.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2011, 18:58   #5
God Member

A historic 200yr old gate has been nicked from Townley park
Thieves steal historic 'kissing' gate from Burnley park (From Lancashire Telegraph)

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2011, 19:15   #6
I am Banned

A right load of old Bull Sh,
who writes their scripts

The entrance commands an imposing position within the town and the commission will highlight this position to create impact both visually and emotionally for the community. The new entrance will represent a new life for the park, encouraging exploration and involvement.

Cobblers, them as want to up there will carry on doing so wether there are gates or not.
Its about time all these quango's had their money stopped.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2011, 19:19   #7
Give, give, give member

Budget
Please note that after the initial short listing, we anticipate that a maximum of 3 short listed artists will be paid a fee of £200 to further work up the proposal ideas for final submission.
An estimated commission budget of £29,000 is available to cover: artist/design fees, materials and installation and all other commission costs.

Ok for the winning design, but two hundred quid doesn't seem a great deal for the three chosen finalists to develop their idea, and all that's expected of them.

Once selected the 3 selected artist/designers will be expected to:

Develop their proposals through research and consultation with the steering group, landscape architects and the commissioners
Develop the design through research and consultation with the landscape architects and Hyndburn BC Planning
Be CRB checked
Liaise with Mid Pennine Arts and the Steering Group
Outline construction methods and materials, including cost estimates and design fees

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2011, 07:02   #8
God Member

I think we've been here before - last time it was to build something further up the hill. I wonder if someone could point out exactly where HBC has given it's mandate to MPA for the latter to undertake this project? In addition, has some form of outline planning permission already been granted by HBC for the development?

If MPA has £29K to spend on a sculptured arts project in Accy, then surely the money would be far better spent on something within the town centre. How much would it cost to purchase (if it is still in private corporate hands) the Arndale Clock, restore and resite within the Market Hall? Or - failing that - surely this amount of money would buy a nice little commissioned sculpture for the town?
Old 14-09-2011, 08:21   #9
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

I think this project is about tidying up the entrance way and not just about art.
Due to the Olympics wasting all that lottery money in London it has become very hard to secure funding. A bid I had a tiny bit of involvement with for the same area failed so it looks like they have found the money another way.

In the opening post it says
Quote:
Additional improvement works that could be included in a proposal as part of an overall treatment for the site. The existing boundary to the side of the entrance is due to be widened and landscaped.
New hard surfacing, fencing, gates, bollards and planting could form part of any new entrance feature.
Well done to those involved.
Old 14-09-2011, 08:24   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I think this project is about tidying up the entrance way and not just about art.
Due to the Olympics wasting all that lottery money in London it has become very hard to secure funding. A bid I had a tiny bit of involvement with for the same area failed so it looks like they have found the money another way.

In the opening post it says:

Additional improvement works that could be included in a proposal as part of an overall treatment for the site. The existing boundary to the side of the entrance is due to be widened and landscaped.

In that case why is this an MPA job? Surely the parks dept could do the job for far less? Why bring in an external contractor - no doubt someone from outside Accy?

Last edited by Tealeaf; 14-09-2011 at 08:26.
Old 14-09-2011, 08:30   #11
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
In that case why is this an MPA job? Surely the parks dept could do the job for far less? Why bring in an external contractor - no doubt someone from outside Accy?
Its not about doing the job, its about funding the job. HBC Parks Dept are more than capable of doing this and they do similar work all the time.
I said before a funding bid for that area was unsuccessful due to the vast number of bids entered at the end of the funding stream. As always I like to blame this on the Olympics. A couple of weeks entertainment for the few who managed to get tickets all paid for by the money that is supposed to go to the whole of the UK.
Old 14-09-2011, 09:07   #12
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Its not about doing the job, its about funding the job. HBC Parks Dept are more than capable of doing this and they do similar work all the time.
So MPA have got some money which they decide to spend in Accy on a specific project. Who decided - and under what democratic procedure - that this was to be on the PP entrance?
Old 14-09-2011, 09:11   #13
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Sorry I cant help you with that one.

To be honest I don't really care where national money comes from as long as it is spent locally to improve our area.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..