Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2015, 20:32   #1
Junior Member+

evacuees 1939

We had an evacuee with us on Barnfield Street from September 1939. His name was Bernard, he was from Salford and attended St. Anne's RC school in Cobham Road.
I was told much later that a school was evacuated from Salford, along with teachers, and some, maybe all, of the children were sent to Accrington. Does anyone have any information about this, or how homes were chosen for the evacuees, or how long they stayed?
I've been told that neighbours on the street also had evacuees.

Joan
JoanR is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-11-2015, 21:00   #2
JCB

Re: evacuees 1939

My mother used to tell me of two evacuees my grandparents had in Spring Hill .

They were two sisters , one being called Joyce McNally .

They were both from Salford .

From what my mother said , a bus with the evacuees stopped at the top of the street , and the evacuees were taken down the street to those who were willing to take them in . I don't think it was very organised , and I don't know their length of stay .

Both sisters went to St Oswald's school at the bottom of Willows Lane . I know a lady who was in the same class as Joyce at St Oswald's .

My mum and dad were married when my dad was home on leave from the army , and Joyce was one of the bridesmaids .

Later , perhaps when the war was over , my mum went to Salford to be Godmother to a baby sibling of the sisters .
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 01:35   #3
Junior Member+

Re: evacuees 1939

They probably hadn't had time to get anything organized so early in the war. We were the middle one in a terrace of five houses, and each of the five took one boy. Maybe it was the same situation, a bus coming round. I don't know if they were similar ages or from the same class but if they were it would be easier for the boys.

Our evacuee came back to visit several years after the war. We'd moved two streets away by then but he found us. Other than that, I don't think he and my parents kept in touch.

Thanks for responding, it's interesting to get a bit more information.
JoanR is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..