Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2011, 21:11   #1

F.steiner & co, turkey red dyeworks.

Can anyone recall the 250 foot octagonal brick chimney serving Steiner's dyehouse being dropped circa 1955/56?

This chimney was evidentally monumental in size, the huge octagonal shaft rising up from a massively constructed stone plinth of square dimensions.

Any information and particularly a photograph would be of immense interest.
rivetlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-10-2011, 22:31   #2
I am Banned

Re: F.steiner & co, turkey red dyeworks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivetlad View Post
Can anyone recall the 250 foot octagonal brick chimney serving Steiner's dyehouse being dropped circa 1955/56?

This chimney was evidentally monumental in size, the huge octagonal shaft rising up from a massively constructed stone plinth of square dimensions.

Thats one of the two chimneys around here I never got to climb, it may have been dropped by my old mate Fred Cooper of Blackburn, the last chimney I helped him with was Rishton Paper Mill, we put fresh bands on the top third of it, circa 1970's.
Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 23:50   #3
Give, give, give member

Quote:

You have probably seen this, chimneys, but not the one you are seeking.

Lancashire Lantern | Word Search | Gallery

Steiner's works, Church, 1925.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 07:38   #4

Retlaw & Garinda---thanks for the info. Yes, I have seen the images on "Lantern ".

I would like to acquire both information and pictures of the demolition of the tall stack, carried out by ? circa 1955/56.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:46   #5

Just off Rochdale Road in Harpurhey, Manchester is Turkey Lane where until the 1980s a huge old Dyehouse was sited.

In the early 19th century the firm produced the " turkey red " dyed cloth used by the British Army " redcoats ". I wonder if F. Steiner's Turkey Red Dyehouse at Church also produced red-dyed cloth for the Army.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:06   #6

A little smattering of info on F. Steiner here:In 1835 the Church Bank Printworks was bought by F Steiner
(Hogg 1971, 83), and by the 1840s it had been divided into three portions; a printworks
leased back to the Peels, a chemical works run by James Haworth & Sons, and a Turkey
Red dyeworks operated by Steiner himself (Rothwell 1993, 10). In 1851 it employed 450
people (Rothwell 1980a, 4). Steiner had taken the whole of the Church Bank works back
into his hands by 1860, and major extensions were made in the 1870s and 1880s. By this
time they were covering the whole range of Turkey Red dying, bleaching and calico printing
and in 1896 they took over the Foxhill Bank Printworks which also now contained a
dyeworks and a bleachworks. The firm remained successful until the 1920s but went into
voluntary liquidation in the 1950s (Rothwell 1993,10). Church Bank works was demolished
in the 1950s and redeveloped (Rothwell 1980a, 4), Foxhill Bank was still in use as a
bleachworks until 1958 but was cleared in the late 1970s (Rothwell 1980b, 3).
Old 02-10-2011, 09:20   #7
Resting in Peace

Quote:
A little smattering of info on F. Steiner here:In 1835 the Church Bank Printworks was bought by F Steiner
(Hogg 1971, 83), and by the 1840s it had been divided into three portions; a printworks
leased back to the Peels, a chemical works run by James Haworth & Sons, and a Turkey
Red dyeworks operated by Steiner himself (Rothwell 1993, 10). In 1851 it employed 450
people (Rothwell 1980a, 4). Steiner had taken the whole of the Church Bank works back
into his hands by 1860, and major extensions were made in the 1870s and 1880s. By this
time they were covering the whole range of Turkey Red dying, bleaching and calico printing
and in 1896 they took over the Foxhill Bank Printworks which also now contained a
dyeworks and a bleachworks. The firm remained successful until the 1920s but went into
voluntary liquidation in the 1950s (Rothwell 1993,10). Church Bank works was demolished
in the 1950s and redeveloped (Rothwell 1980a, 4), Foxhill Bank was still in use as a
bleachworks until 1958 but was cleared in the late 1970s (Rothwell 1980b, 3).
My Grandfather was a member of the fire brigade for many years at steiner's, worked there for most of his working life, he retired about the same time the works closed

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..