Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31-03-2011, 17:12   #16
Junior Member+

Smile Re: Floods In Rising Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morecambe Ex Pat View Post
My wife is originally from Rising Bridge and is compiling some notes on her time there. She has tried to register on Baxenden On-Line Scribbles which has some info about the area but cannot register.
We were wondering if any of the historians on here could help with the date of an event.
In the 1960's there was a flood in Rising Bridge when Parkinson's Confectionery shop and the house next door collapsed into the river. Luckily, it was holiday time and nobody was injured but we are trying to establish a date for this event and hoped that someone with connections with Rising Bridge could shed some light on it.
Thanks

^ that was my great grandparents confectionary shop! my nan tells me about it all the time
IzzyDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 31-03-2011, 17:13   #17
Junior Member+

Re: Floods In Rising Bridge

that was my great grandparents confectionary shop, my nan tells me about it all the time
Old 31-03-2011, 17:33   #18
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by IzzyDean View Post
that was my great grandparents confectionary shop, my nan tells me about it all the time
Apparently.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2011, 17:37   #19
Junior Member+

why apparently? :S
Old 31-03-2011, 17:39   #20
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by IzzyDean View Post
why apparently? :S
Ya posted it twice
Old 31-03-2011, 17:41   #21
Junior Member+

yeah I know, I wasn't sure what I was doing :') me and my nan was reading this, because she wanted me to see pictures and then I saw yous lot talking about her shop and I felt the need to tell you it was my great grandparentss
Old 31-03-2011, 17:52   #22
I am Banned

Quote:
My wife is originally from Rising Bridge and is compiling some notes on her time there. She has tried to register on Baxenden On-Line Scribbles which has some info about the area but cannot register.
We were wondering if any of the historians on here could help with the date of an event.
In the 1960's there was a flood in Rising Bridge when Parkinson's Confectionery shop and the house next door collapsed into the river. Luckily, it was holiday time and nobody was injured but we are trying to establish a date for this event and hoped that someone with connections with Rising Bridge could shed some light on it.
Thanks
I took photos of the area the day after the flood washed away the building, it was July 1966, I think the photos are now in Accrington Library.

Retlaw
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2011, 18:03   #23
Junior Member+

Also, it wasn't Parkinsons, it was Parkes and my nan remebers all the donations.
Old 13-04-2011, 22:00   #24

Would Alliance Street, off Manchester Road, been affected by this too? My Father in Law tells a tale where he and his twin brother had to rescue thier Grandmother from the top floor window of her house on Alliance Street due to a huge flood. He never gave me any particulars, just said it was very frightening for Granny Esther and him!!
bekibird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 21:56   #25
Junior Member+

Quote:
Thanks
I remember the floods very well. The date would be about correct as I would have been about 6yrs old at the time & was at my grandmas that day.
My grans house was at the top of east view which runs over the stream that flooded. I recall standing outside the house watching the water covering the road.
There was also a row of houses next to the stream which were also flooded & had to be demolished a few years later.
I'm led to believe the main cause of the damage was a car being pushed under the road bridge & out the other side. I can actually remember the car being a yellow ford anglia which was only a few weeks old.
The actual flood was caused by a dam further up northfield road failing & collapsing.
Some things are indelibly printed on ones brain as a child & are never forgotten.
jsumner123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 22:23   #26
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsumner123 View Post
I remember the floods very well. The date would be about correct as I would have been about 6yrs old at the time & was at my grandmas that day.
My grans house was at the top of east view which runs over the stream that flooded. I recall standing outside the house watching the water covering the road.
There was also a row of houses next to the stream which were also flooded & had to be demolished a few years later.
I'm led to believe the main cause of the damage was a car being pushed under the road bridge & out the other side. I can actually remember the car being a yellow ford anglia which was only a few weeks old.
The actual flood was caused by a dam further up northfield road failing & collapsing.
Some things are indelibly printed on ones brain as a child & are never forgotten.
That car is on one of the photos I took, they are in Accy Library, from memory the car was white in colour, and was still the right way up, looking a bit battered.
Retlaw
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 07:59   #27
Senior Member+

I remember that day well. I was at my cousin's house/shop in Frederick Street Accrington. It was confectioners shop. Me and my cousin went " boating" down Frederick Street on bread trays. Fantastic fun.
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:17   #28
Resting In Peace

Some photos here...

Haslingden Old and New...: The 1964 Hailstones & Flood Memories (18th July 1964)
Old 04-07-2012, 08:28   #29
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
First Saturday of Accy Holidays, an hour after the rain the sun was cracking the flags
Old 04-07-2012, 09:12   #30
Senior Member+

I was doing the Welsh Express for Ribblesdale Batty Holt tours and set off to Butlins Pwllheli with a coach load of happy punters, as jaysay said above, it was a lovely hot sunny day and everybody was in high spirits.
I dropped the punters off at the camp, had my free dinner and picked up the people who had spent the previous week there.

Once again they were all happy and singing and saying how much they had enjoyed their selves. They asked me about the weather back home and I told them how nice and sunny it was.
We were around the north Manchester area when we saw the rain and when we got towards Edenfield we were stopped by the police and told about the floods.
I couldn't believe how bad it was, especially after the fantastic weather we had up until then.
I can't just remember how we got through but the people on the coach who lived around Haslingden were in great panic and couldn't wait to get off and see if their homes had been affected.
I am glad you jogged my memory because I had only just started on the job and couldn't remember when it was.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..