Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-02-2009, 10:53   #31
Resting in Peace

Re: Fraser Eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
you will know me old mate then keith? Fred Greer.
Fred Greer cashy, knew his brother Gottle of
Old 20-02-2009, 14:54   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
Was your dad Bernard Keogh?

Yes it is the same....The firm was taken over by Robinsons.
Arthur and Cecil Bolton were the owners of Ribblesdale.

Fred Kirkham had Kirkhams Coaches at the bottom of West End.
I think they still operate but now in Haslingden by Fred's son Geoff.
Fred was killed in a traffic accident on his way back from the Motor Show.

Albert Benson had Eagle Coaches in Ossy and sold out to Frasers who were then at Antley.
Kirkhams sold out to Rigbys coaches about 5 years ago .
You are right about Fred. Sadley all Geoffs family were killed in plane crash some years ago and Geoff now lives in Gt Harwood
bondi38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2009, 15:05   #33
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondi38 View Post
Kirkhams sold out to Rigbys coaches about 5 years ago .
You are right about Fred. Sadley all Geoffs family were killed in plane crash some years ago and Geoff now lives in Gt Harwood
yeh yer right it was the "Stockport" air crash think mid-late 70s a tragic episode fer many.
Old 20-02-2009, 17:53   #34

No cashy i am almost sure it was on a flight going into tenerife but i could be wrong it is so long since but i am sure someone will come on and put us right if i am giving false information as they always do.
Old 20-02-2009, 17:55   #35
God Member

I remember it as Tenerife too

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2009, 18:08   #36
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
Hi, am putting this under "History" cos this is best place. Poor Fraser Eagle! Laid off most of their staff on Monday 16th Feb 2009 (me included!).
They of course started life in a small garage at Tanpits, Church, then grew and grew into holidays and also rail replacement.
Sad times!

Atarah
Hi Atarah, do you still reckon it's a good idea to book a package holiday with Frazer Eagle?
Stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2009, 18:41   #37
God Member

Quote:
No cashy i am almost sure it was on a flight going into tenerife but i could be wrong it is so long since but i am sure someone will come on and put us right if i am giving false information as they always do.
Marian...you are a mine of information:...you are right of course.

when the Dan Air jet crashed into a mountain in Tenerife, claiming 146 lives.
They included her dad, former Accrington Stanley soccer star Bob McNichol, her mum Marjorie and her nine-year-old brother Robert, who lived in Blackburn Road, Oswaldtwistle.
With them were Marjorie’s mother, Mrs Anne Kirkham, 71, and her brother and sister-in-law, Fred and Margaret Threlfall.
Mrs Kirkham was the widow of Fred Kirkham, who had founded the family firm Kirkham’s Coaches.

They were all very good friends of mine.....Marjorie was my cub mistress at Church Kirk....Fred Kirkham was my boss...Fred Threlfall, he was know as uncle Fred was the mechanic and was very badly injured in the accident that killed Fred Kirkham. Jean, Freds other daughter died a couple of months ago, leaving Geoff and his family...I wish them well.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2009, 19:11   #38

ksh I remember les blackburn nickname whirlybird he use to be coming back from yorkshire with his first load before any of the other gilbraith drivers had got out of bed and I worked at gilmartins the same time as frank hargreaves he lived on charter street then but would only drive a four wheeler despite bobby martins the managers pleas big blow for les losing his licence after the big fog crash on the m6 cash For a period at jacks I was shop steward and attended many meetig with fred mostly at manchester where he was to finish up anyway as a fulltime officer we had some hairy meetings moreso with our brothers from liverpool last time I heard of fred he was living in bury but when I knew him he lived in owen street
keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2009, 19:16   #39
God Member

New Les had a nickname but couldn't remember it, never heard owt about him since I finished there about 23 year ago, know Frank died, that would be 20 year ago probably, still lived on Charter St up to his death

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2009, 19:23   #40
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
Marian...you are a mine of information:...you are right of course.

when the Dan Air jet crashed into a mountain in Tenerife, claiming 146 lives.
They included her dad, former Accrington Stanley soccer star Bob McNichol, her mum Marjorie and her nine-year-old brother Robert, who lived in Blackburn Road, Oswaldtwistle.
With them were Marjorie’s mother, Mrs Anne Kirkham, 71, and her brother and sister-in-law, Fred and Margaret Threlfall.
Mrs Kirkham was the widow of Fred Kirkham, who had founded the family firm Kirkham’s Coaches.

They were all very good friends of mine.....Marjorie was my cub mistress at Church Kirk....Fred Kirkham was my boss...Fred Threlfall, he was know as uncle Fred was the mechanic and was very badly injured in the accident that killed Fred Kirkham. Jean, Freds other daughter died a couple of months ago, leaving Geoff and his family...I wish them well.
The northern airport on Tenerife has recently been reopened to tourist flights after runway improvements following the collision of the two aircraft, saving holidaymakers wanting to stay in Porta-de-la-cruz a 2-hour transfer journey. Understand it is restricted to Lufthansa at the moment but soon to be opened to other tour operaters.
Stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2009, 19:23   #41

Roy i am now going to put you right on Robinsons they were taken over by Holdsworths in 1947 who still own them today and they are just a subsidary company .
The coaches are not green anymore they are dark bue with yellow Robinsons name on them .
Holdsworths are a very big multi millionaire company and i have spent many nights out with their daughter when she comes to Gt Harwood to do buisness with them they did have the Holdsworth name on them but it was a mistake so Mr Holdsworth had them take it off suprising who and what i do know but i dont publish my private life to all and sundry on here dont pay to let everyone know what i am up to but i live life to the full here today maybe gone tomorrow.
Old 20-02-2009, 19:30   #42
God Member

Coach trips to Holdsworth hotels are a major part of Robinsons business and at least 2 of their drivers have gone on to be hotel managers.
The one who manages their Torquay hotel (Abbey Lawn) is making a very good job of it.(based on my visit 3yrs ago)

Old 20-02-2009, 19:33   #43
God Member

Quote:
Roy i am now going to put you right on Robinsons they were taken over by Holdsworths in 1947 who still own them today and they are just a subsidary company .
The coaches are not green anymore they are dark bue with yellow Robinsons name on them .
Holdsworths are a very big multi millionaire company and i have spent many nights out with their daughter when she comes to Gt Harwood to do buisness with them they did have the Holdsworth name on them but it was a mistake so Mr Holdsworth had them take it off suprising who and what i do know but i dont publish my private life to all and sundry on here dont pay to let everyone know what i am up to but i live life to the full here today maybe gone tomorrow.
Marian....you are absolutely spot on.
Did you know Alan Robinson?

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2009, 20:10   #44
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
Coach trips to Holdsworth hotels are a major part of Robinsons business and at least 2 of their drivers have gone on to be hotel managers.
The one who manages their Torquay hotel (Abbey Lawn) is making a very good job of it.(based on my visit 3yrs ago)
Wasnt one set on fire!?
Old 20-02-2009, 20:12   #45
God Member

Yes - this one
http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...ire-32971.html

Tags
recession

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..