Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-02-2009, 03:27   #1
Senior Member+

Fraser Eagle

Hi, am putting this under "History" cos this is best place. Poor Fraser Eagle! Laid off most of their staff on Monday 16th Feb 2009 (me included!).
They of course started life in a small garage at Tanpits, Church, then grew and grew into holidays and also rail replacement.
Sad times!

Atarah
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-02-2009, 08:26   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Fraser Eagle

A check with my 1951 Barretts directory confirms what I thought - Atarah is mistaken, or perhaps she hasn't gone back far enough. I remember Fraser's being in Water St ( bottom end , No 17.They teamed up with the firm at Antley whose name escapes me.( Eagle maybe) In 1951 there was also Ribblesdale Coachways 64 Abbey st( a shop), Benson Motors , Barnes St & Taylor Bros, Queen's rd/Robert st.

Atarah has started a good thread here. Charas will be fondly remembered. The Eagle has set off.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2009, 09:32   #3
God Member

I know some Fraser Eagle employees, past and present.
The expansion of the business went too fast and too many chiefs got themselves flash motors at the firms expense.
The extravagance of the office interior of the place at Padiham also amazed me.
Marble and palm trees just isn't the norm for a company that size.
I got £20 High St voucher, a free buffet and chauffeur transport there and back, just for expressing an opinion on their brochure - prolifigate waste

Last edited by MargaretR; 18-02-2009 at 09:39.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2009, 11:20   #4
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
Hi, am putting this under "History" cos this is best place. Poor Fraser Eagle! Laid off most of their staff on Monday 16th Feb 2009 (me included!).
They of course started life in a small garage at Tanpits, Church, then grew and grew into holidays and also rail replacement.
Sad times!

Atarah
The Eagle part of the firm was started by a chap called Albert Benson, who started up just after the war, his first garage was at the end of Eagle St. (thus the name Eagle)which is off New Lane Ossy, I live on Eagle St in the 60s and actually helped pull the old garage down when it got very dangerous. Albert moved his business to a Garage in Dale Street Ossy in the 50s (which is near the civic theatre) he sold out to Frasers when he retired, His Wife Betty also had an Hairdressers at the corner of Dale Street
Old 18-02-2009, 16:24   #5

I work for another coach company and a couple of people who I work with have said that the Furnishing and contracts side of the business have been liquidated and they have also heard I lot of the company cars have been reposed by the finance company.
rishton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2009, 17:35   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishton View Post
I work for another coach company and a couple of people who I work with have said that the Furnishing and contracts side of the business have been liquidated and they have also heard I lot of the company cars have been reposed by the finance company.
does that mean the cars are dead?
Old 18-02-2009, 17:47   #7
God Member

another company who lived for the sharholderand got above themselves going to the wall..just pure greed.lets hope they paid all their dues to stanley..
cmonstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2009, 18:35   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonstanley View Post
another company who lived for the sharholderand got above themselves going to the wall..just pure greed.lets hope they paid all their dues to stanley..
thats a secondary issue, the poor sods that are laid off come first.
Old 19-02-2009, 00:43   #9
Senior Member+

that would explain why they got no driver vacancies then
jedimaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2009, 00:52   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
A check with my 1951 Barretts directory confirms what I thought - Atarah is mistaken, or perhaps she hasn't gone back far enough. I remember Fraser's being in Water St ( bottom end , No 17.They teamed up with the firm at Antley whose name escapes me.( Eagle maybe) In 1951 there was also Ribblesdale Coachways 64 Abbey st( a shop), Benson Motors , Barnes St & Taylor Bros, Queen's rd/Robert st.

Atarah has started a good thread here. Charas will be fondly remembered. The Eagle has set off.
Is this the same Ribblesdale that became Ribblesdale/Baty Holt ( blue/grey coachwork) from George st.west in Blackburn ? my Dad used to be the team coach driver for Blackburn Rovers on away games
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2009, 08:38   #11
Senior Member+

I think it is, as I recall that Ribblesdale didn't have a garage in Abbey St - just a booking office. Somewhere between Oak & Warner Sts I think.

Over at Church, there was a chara firm called Kirkham's.Other firms around in the 50s were Standerwick of Preston, who amalgamated with Ribble. Robinson' of Gt Harwood, and yelloway (Rochdale).
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2009, 10:56   #12
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

the ribblesdale booking office = bob is spot on, it was just up from Babyland which was at corner of warner/abbey st, think there was them then a barbers,then the ribblesdale office, went to many n away match from yon.
Old 19-02-2009, 11:05   #13
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
I think it is, as I recall that Ribblesdale didn't have a garage in Abbey St - just a booking office. Somewhere between Oak & Warner Sts I think.

Over at Church, there was a chara firm called Kirkham's.Other firms around in the 50s were Standerwick of Preston, who amalgamated with Ribble. Robinson' of Gt Harwood, and yelloway (Rochdale).
Think Robinsons are still going Bob, Green and Black livery, they do mostly tour holidays now, along with the likes of Wallace Arnold, or Wigan Airways as they were know, although I think they may have merged with another company know but not sure
Old 19-02-2009, 12:21   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Think Robinsons are still going Bob, Green and Black livery, they do mostly tour holidays now, along with the likes of Wallace Arnold, or Wigan Airways as they were know, although I think they may have merged with another company know but not sure
I've been on a couple of Robinsons Holidays
(remember my thread about Penhallow Newquay hotel fire)
They mailed me a special offer holiday only last week
They are not 'merged'

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2009, 12:41   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
Is this the same Ribblesdale that became Ribblesdale/Baty Holt ( blue/grey coachwork) from George st.west in Blackburn ? my Dad used to be the team coach driver for Blackburn Rovers on away games
Was your dad Bernard Keogh?

Yes it is the same....The firm was taken over by Robinsons.
Arthur and Cecil Bolton were the owners of Ribblesdale.

Fred Kirkham had Kirkhams Coaches at the bottom of West End.
I think they still operate but now in Haslingden by Fred's son Geoff.
Fred was killed in a traffic accident on his way back from the Motor Show.

Albert Benson had Eagle Coaches in Ossy and sold out to Frasers who were then at Antley.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
recession

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..