Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-05-2013, 00:38   #1

Ghosties and Ghoulies!!

After a bit of searching on other threads I found that there a very few (real) ghost stories about Hyndburn on here. I am helping my daughter complete a project about Clayton Le Moors and I thought I might try to find some more Ghost stories out there. I have a few, but none about Clayton... any about Clayton would be really good though! Here are mine!

1. The Bay Horse, Oswaldtwistle. In the late 1970's my Husbands family owned the Bay Horse pub for a while. Jim and Ann Southworth ran the pub for a good number of years until a very strange happening occurred that made them leave almost instantly. According to my Husband (who at the time was a young boy of about 7 yrs) the bar was as busy as usual one night when there came an almighty scream from his mother (Ann) who was upstairs. Jim, my Husband's Dad, ran up the stairs with his son close behind him. The screams were coming from the kitchen and although the young son was pushed aside when they got to the kitchen he saw the sight his father didn't want him to. All the pots and pans, utensils, plates and condiments were stacked on top of each other at an impossible angle in the middle of the kitchen floor and extended up into a crazy pile right to the ceiling. Jim touched the impossible stack and it all crashed to the floor in a shower of pottery shards and glass. The next thing my Husband remember's was that the family moved... the Bay Horse Poltergeist!!!

2. 214 Whalley Road, Corner house of Moss Hall/ Whalley Road, Accrington. This house was the residence of my maternal Grandparents for many years. They had both moved up from London and after a short stay on Higher Antley street they moved their family to this residence. It was a virtual wreck when they bought it and they had to complete works from plastering to a full rewire. Nothing of note happened for a long time until they realized that there was a mysterious visitor and this visitor was so subtle in his/her movements that it had become common place. It later transpired, after some research, that the house was once a vets clinic, explaining the presence of a Black Labrador that everyone, overtly or not, would step over after opening the front door. This loyal dog would lie on the floor not moving and make the visitor step over him/her to get into the house proper. Many new visitors to the house would remark over the new pet the family had acquired when it didn't really exist. I have always stepped over the dog knowing full well it wasn't there, it just became an obvious reaction to something that was just there! The living room had two glass pained doors which although frosted, showed out onto the corridor running from the front door to the kitchen. If you sat in the chair that faced these doors you could see the figure of this black dog walking down the corridor in a lumbering gait particular to an old Labrador. You could clearly see him/her walk past both doors in the living room and then turn back to its favourite spot behind the front door. Not so spooky to us as we'd always stepped over the dog or watched it walk past the living room but very unnerving to visitors who knew the family didn't have a black Lab!!
Needless to say, after my family emigrated to France around 6 years ago I didn't tell the new owners.. but who would be scared of a doddery old dog?!!

3. 48 Whalley Road, Rockmount, Altham West. There have been a few sightings here. One bring a tall man dressed in tails putting on top hat in the corridor as if to make his way out for the evening, a little girl crying on the attic stairs (heard not seen) and a ghostly presence that follows you along the corridor around the bathroom! I have grown used to these appartions in the 13 years I have lived here and although they appear on a somewhat regular basis I have grown used to them!!

Post your ghostly stories and lets see if I can get some about Clayton Le Moors.

Bekibird.
bekibird is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 30-05-2013, 05:05   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: Ghosties and Ghoulies!!

I have just finished reading a book called" Paranormal in Lancashire " its not just about spirits but all things weird including UFO and loads of other things.
You can have the book if you like
just let me know and I can meet you in Accy

or if anyone would like to read it your welcome
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2013, 08:06   #3
Resting in Peace

Re: Ghosties and Ghoulies!!

Years ago, when I was a regular at the Stop and Rest in Ossy, there was a tale about a ghost, of course no body believed it, it was just a laugh, that is until my mate stood in as relief while the landlord went on holiday. While he was there I used to stop behind for a drink (something that didn't normal happen in those days) it was about 11-45pm and everything was locked down just the front door was unlocked, when we heard the taproom door, we looked at each other, with that thought it was locked look, the air went very cold yet nothing appear in the taproom, very slowly my mate ventured into the taproom bar put the lights on and then tried the door, it was locked, never seen two blokes sup up as quick in mi life, exit stage left at a great rate of knots. We mentioned this too the landlord on his return, who laughed it off saying it was aud Jem going for his nightly walk
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..