Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2010, 22:18   #1

Green Haworth/Bedlam

Hope someone can help with any info on the origin/place name of Green Haworth and Bedlam. Thanks
rowanstarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-07-2010, 10:52   #2
Give, give, give member

Re: Green Haworth/Bedlam

'Green Haworth is nestled in the West Pennine Moors. Part of the village is known as Bedlam, and was recorded by the monks of Kirkstall when defining their boundaries in the 12th century.'
The Townships of Hyndburn - Clayton-Le-Moors

he manor of ACCRINGTON was a member of the honor of Clitheroe, and was by Henry de Lacy granted to Hugh son of Leofwine together with Altham before 1177. (fn. 8) It must have been surrendered to the grantee or his successor, for Robert de Lacy gave it to the monks of Kirkstall by way of compensation for the grange at Cliviger which had been recovered from them by Richard de Elland. (fn. 9) The gift was confirmed by William son of Hugh de Altham for the love of God and for the salvation of the souls of himself, his wife and kindred. (fn. 10)
Townships - Old and New Accrington | British History Online

Bedlam is unclear.
It's derived from the name Bethlehem, and Bedlam became a generic name for places where 'lunatics' were cared for. Sometimes this was applied to where just one person was looked after.
Perhaps there was a cottage up there that cared for the mentally ill?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 12:15   #3
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
'Green Haworth is nestled in the West Pennine Moors. Part of the village is known as Bedlam, and was recorded by the monks of Kirkstall when defining their boundaries in the 12th century.'
The Townships of Hyndburn - Clayton-Le-Moors

he manor of ACCRINGTON was a member of the honor of Clitheroe, and was by Henry de Lacy granted to Hugh son of Leofwine together with Altham before 1177. (fn. 8) It must have been surrendered to the grantee or his successor, for Robert de Lacy gave it to the monks of Kirkstall by way of compensation for the grange at Cliviger which had been recovered from them by Richard de Elland. (fn. 9) The gift was confirmed by William son of Hugh de Altham for the love of God and for the salvation of the souls of himself, his wife and kindred. (fn. 10)
Townships - Old and New Accrington | British History Online

Bedlam is unclear.
It's derived from the name Bethlehem, and Bedlam became a generic name for places where 'lunatics' were cared for. Sometimes this was applied to where just one person was looked after.
Perhaps there was a cottage up there that cared for the mentally ill?
Sorry Gari.
I've seen that website before, it a load of misinformation and generalisations.
I went to the PRO over 20 years ago when it used to be in Chancery lane & obtained copy's of the Coucher Book of Kirkstall.
No where does it mention Bedlam, and I've never seen Bedlam mention in the Halmote Court Rolls either. I've attached a copy of the transcript of the two pages which relate to de Lacy and Hugh son of Leofwine, and the first page when deLacy's son dealt with the thieving monks.

Retlaw.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Coucher Book of Kirkstall-1.jpg (393.3 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Coucher Book of Kirkstall-2.jpg (349.8 KB, 15 views)
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 13:01   #4
God Member

Quote:
and Bedlam became a generic name for places where 'lunatics' were cared for.
Thats fairly logical, I live 2 minutes from Bedlam
Old 09-07-2010, 13:41   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Sorry Gari.

Errr...it's not the website, Retlaw. The website is simply accessing the digitalised form of the Victorian County History, which in lancashire's case was knocked out by William Farrer in the earlier part of the last century. Omissions and misreadings abound, but given the circumstances in which he wrote it, that is no surprise. Nevertheless, it is a good guide and I would certainly rate it higher than some of the rubbish which is now published under the category of 'history'.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 13:47   #6
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Sorry Gari.
I went to the PRO over 20 years ago when it used to be in Chancery lane & obtained copy's of the Coucher Book of Kirkstall.
No where does it mention Bedlam, and I've never seen Bedlam mention in the Halmote Court Rolls either. I've attached a copy of the transcript of the two pages which relate to de Lacy and Hugh son of Leofwine, and the first page when deLacy's son dealt with the thieving monks.

Retlaw.
Thanks.
I was only rooting about on the web, but could find no mention of Kirkstall Abbey's boundary ending at Bedlam.

Also, the name wouldn't have been known until at least 1247, when the first Order of the Star of Bethlehem was founded in London, to care for the mentally ill.

Old 09-07-2010, 13:50   #7
Give, give, give member

There are many, many Bedlams throught the country, including over the border in Dingle town.

I think they were the sites of small cottage hospital type asylums.

Old 09-07-2010, 14:05   #8
God Member

Quote:
Thanks.
I was only rooting about on the web, but could find no mention of Kirkstall Abbey's boundary ending at Bedlam.

Also, the name wouldn't have been known until at least 1247, when the first Order of the Star of Bethlehem was founded in London, to care for the mentally ill.
I suspect that Bedlam (Green Haworth) was the generic name applied for Accy's early loony bin, although I would not like to put a date on it's founding or it's dissolution. The original Bedlam is now the site of Liverpool St railway station in London, one entrance of which has a statue where you can regularly see old men and women weep. However, Bedlam has moved over the centuries and it's location up to the 1920's is now the Imperial War Museum.
Old 09-07-2010, 14:10   #9
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
I suspect that Bedlam (Green Haworth) was the generic name applied for Accy's early loony bin, although I would not like to put a date on it's founding or it's dissolution. The original Bedlam is now the site of Liverpool St railway station in London, one entrance of which has a statue where you can regularly see old men and women weep. However, Bedlam has moved over the centuries and it's location up to the 1920's is now the Imperial War Museum.
As stated the first Bedlam/Bethlehem was founded in London, but the generic name seems to have spread country wide, where the mentally insane were housed.

There are some (once) isolated cottages in Burnley, which also have the name Bedlam.

'In the early 18th Century, the idea that the insane ought to be segregated from ‘sane society’ gathered momentum. The number of private ‘madhouses’ increased. The care offered frequently took the form of cruel punishment. There was little incentive to cure or release and most of these institutions were run primarily for profit, with relatives paying the madhouse to keep patients.'
People and Stories

Makes sense that there might have been some place at Green Haworth, where they 'cared' for those in need.

No one would hear the screams up there.

Old 09-07-2010, 14:13   #10
God Member

It's many years since I have been in the badlands of Burnley; I doubt if I shall go back there again.
Old 09-07-2010, 14:14   #11
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I suspect that Bedlam (Green Haworth) was the generic name applied for Accy's early loony bin
I can't find any record of an offical asylum up there. I think it more likely that it was a cottage, funded by charity/the church, in which the mentally ill were housed.

Old 09-07-2010, 14:15   #12
Give, give, give member

Quote:
It's many years since I have been in the badlands of Burnley; I doubt if I shall go back there again.
If you do, stay away from Bedlam.

They might not let you return to us.

Old 09-07-2010, 14:32   #13
God Member

YO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've just realised - is there not a golf course up at Green Haworth? Is not this so-called sport merely a cure for psychotic disorder for mad Scotsmen, deranged Yanks and the criminally insane middle-classes?

I think now that explains Bedlam
Old 09-07-2010, 14:49   #14
Resting in Peace

Quote:
YO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've just realised - is there not a golf course up at Green Haworth? Is not this so-called sport merely a cure for psychotic disorder for mad Scotsmen, deranged Yanks and the criminally insane middle-classes?

I think now that explains Bedlam
Watch it or I'll hit you with my niblick
Old 09-07-2010, 14:58   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Watch it or I'll hit you with my niblick
Diagnosis confirmed.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..