Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-01-2013, 15:21   #1

Heights Golf Club Accrington

I have been looking into the History of Baxenden Golf Club as it's the Clubs Centenary Year and have come across several references to a "Heights Golf Club" which was in existance in 1913 but closed shortly afterwards.

I know that Accrington Golf Club started life up The Coppice but had moved to West End some years before 1913.

There was a Heights Farm and cottages located near Baxenden but cannot find any evidence of a golf club in that area.

Has anyone ever heard of this club?
anzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 31-01-2013, 17:28   #2

Re: Heights Golf Club Accrington

Quote:
Originally Posted by anzac View Post
I have been looking into the History of Baxenden Golf Club as it's the Clubs Centenary Year and have come across several references to a "Heights Golf Club" which was in existance in 1913 but closed shortly afterwards.

I know that Accrington Golf Club started life up The Coppice but had moved to West End some years before 1913.

There was a Heights Farm and cottages located near Baxenden but cannot find any evidence of a golf club in that area.

Has anyone ever heard of this club?
Not heard of Heights Golf Club...but very interested in the fact that it is Baxenden Golf Club Centenary Year... I was born there in July 1945.... it is on my birth certificate.. my parents were Steward and Stewardess.... are there any records from the past?
AccyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:33   #3
Senior Member+

Re: Heights Golf Club Accrington

I've come across the term Heights several times - Riley Heights one of them and I think there was a farm near to Accrington Golf Club of this name.I read this name in some papers relating to the Hollins Estate ,bought by the Royds family, in Rochdale library. John Simpson in Accrington Library may be able to turn something up........ There may be information to be had from the maps in the library. e.g. it may be reveal something up who owned the land before the Golf Club. Keep chipping away, Anzac.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..