Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-12-2006, 23:19   #1

Exclamation Help! I've got myself a friend!

Can anyone help trying to find out about the history around Whalley Road, Accrington (near the Oaklea). Does anyone know when the houses were built? What was there before the houses were built? It seems I've got myself a friend who insists on knocking on the wall every morining at around 4am. Any information anyone can give me would really be appreciated, been doing a bit of research myself but to no avail so far.
Vicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-12-2006, 17:39   #2

Re: Help! I've got myself a friend!

Sorry can't help you, but that friend sounds a bit spooky. Good luck.

Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2006, 12:44   #3

Just a bit, left tape recorder running last night from 2.30am picked up a noise at the end of the tape, you can hear movement then a door moving just as the tape ends typical. Was hoping to hear mice!
Old 20-12-2006, 14:27   #4
Member.

Hi Vicks,

Very interesting relationship you have here, any chance of you providing a bit more detail? How long have you been there? Did it start right away, if not when?

Describe you property, Detached, Semi or Terraced. Is the knocking wall a party wall or an external wall?

Irrespective of which what aspect is it. North, south facing etc. How close the knocking wall to trees, cables, TV Ariel/satellite dish etc?

Can you describe the sound of the knock? Is it wooden, metallic, or stony? Is it loud, soft? Is it like we would knock or is it different in any way; is there any reverberation or echo?

Is there any associated smell or physical contact, have you actually seen anything? What other phenomena occurs around you when you’re away from the property. Can I ask your religious or cultural background and have you ever been involved in the occult.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2006, 16:07   #5

I have moved in with my partner been there about two months, my partner works nights so he has not noticed it. However, he has sensed things in the past but dismissed it. It is a terraced end house. The wall that the knocking happens on is the adjoining bedroom wall (which is empty), there are no cables or anything on either side of the wall that could cause the knocking. I have been in the loft to check if there could be anything up there that could cause this problem. I am very sceptical and am trying to rule every possibility out. I do not practice the occult as I think this is a very dangerous practice. I am from a christian background. I have not seen anything.
Old 20-12-2006, 16:48   #6
Member.

Thanks for that Vicks. Have you had a walk down the Terrace to see if there’s a Date Stone of any type, if there isn’t one look at the next terrace along and across the road they won’t be necessary be of the same date but looking at the architecture if might give some idea has to the period your was built.

You didn’t describe the knocking, in relation to the wall is low down the wall, middle or higher up, is it close to a neighbouring property or more to an internal wall? What is the knocking sound like (not that daft a question?) any noticeable smells around at the time?

How close are you to the Oak lea pub or any other pub, and on which side of the street?

Just to be sure check with the neighbours and establish that they aren’t knocking up a loved one for work and to establish if they have any experiences.

If you’re brave enough, converse. They might not necessarily be there for you are even interested in you. But common courtesy won’t go amiss. Talk to them in a welcoming manner and treat them as part of the family. It could be a recording of a long past activity, a visitation or then again it could be someone close just paying you a visit.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 20-12-2006, 16:51   #7
Resident Waffler

The houses are probably late 19th or early 20th century.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2006, 20:06   #8
God Member

How close are you to the Oak lea pub or any other pub, and on which side of the street?

That just sounds like Doug is looking for somewhere to stop on Saturday night! lol
shillelagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2006, 20:37   #9

Ooh vicks, maybe its someone wanting to keep you company whilst your fellas on nights
Nell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2006, 23:25   #10

Maybe lol. the knocking is from the spare bedroom next to where I sleep the knocking is in the middle of the wall. The wall that the knocking appears on is an internal wall adjoined to our spare room. It is not adjoining next door. I live just around the corner from Oaklea. I am going to ask our next door neighbour if they have heard anything or know anything. I have only noticed it lately, although I did put it down to paranoir at first, the banging appears to happen when I close the bedroom door. If the door is open then I do feel a presence in the room but just ignore it. Then it seems to pass.
Old 20-12-2006, 23:56   #11
Member.

The shutting of the door may be symbolic of cutting off contact; the knocking would then represent an alert to his or her presence. I would suggest that the presence wants to be known to you and wishes you to extend a welcome. Leaving the door open represents an invitation to enter your private space, “that’s in the physical sense not the spiritual” if you close the door the meaning would be the same to them as it is to us. ****** off “I vant to ve alone”. Sorry.

If you are comfortable with it, shut the door tonight and say out loud “When you ask me to, I will open it” If you get the knocking again Say out loud “ok I’ll open the door your welcome to come in, should you wish” again converse using normal tones and always be welcoming. Ask questions in order to gain information such as a name or a relationship or just chat away about how you feel about things in general.

If you do become emotional, even tearful then it will mostly likely be that of a loved ones spirit coming close to you. You might not miserly know them, but they will be someone who cares about you.

If at any time you feel unhappy with the situation just ask firmly, but respectfully for the presence to leave you now.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 21-12-2006, 16:05   #12
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
The shutting of the door may be symbolic of cutting off contact; the knocking would then represent an alert to his or her presence. I would suggest that the presence wants to be known to you and wishes you to extend a welcome. Leaving the door open represents an invitation to enter your private space, “that’s in the physical sense not the spiritual” if you close the door the meaning would be the same to them as it is to us. ****** off “I vant to ve alone”. Sorry.

If you are comfortable with it, shut the door tonight and say out loud “When you ask me to, I will open it” If you get the knocking again Say out loud “ok I’ll open the door your welcome to come in, should you wish” again converse using normal tones and always be welcoming. Ask questions in order to gain information such as a name or a relationship or just chat away about how you feel about things in general.

If you do become emotional, even tearful then it will mostly likely be that of a loved ones spirit coming close to you. You might not miserly know them, but they will be someone who cares about you.

If at any time you feel unhappy with the situation just ask firmly, but respectfully for the presence to leave you now.
You 'aint half going to look a pratt Doug if it turns out to be the plumbing ...
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2006, 22:41   #13
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
You 'aint half going to look a pratt Doug if it turns out to be the plumbing ...
I don’t think so Kate; I won’t be the one sat talking to the wall at four in the morning…..

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 22-12-2006, 10:08   #14
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
I don’t think so Kate; I won’t be the one sat talking to the wall at four in the morning…..
Just presumed you may have volunteered to ghost hunt with the young lady Doug ..
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2006, 10:26   #15
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Just presumed you may have volunteered to ghost hunt with the young lady Doug ..

Ahhh, Well Kate, you see that’s what happens when you participate in gossip, how wrong could you be? I think the young lady ask for some help as to the local history of the area in which she lives and perhaps a little advise as too her new friend.

That’s all that’s being offered. These things can be a little daunting, if not frightening. I think people being able to talk about these things is terribly important particularly if you’re going through an experience like this alone, the disappointing side to these type of open discussions is when people are ridiculed or the subject is gutterised, that’s when people stop talking and end up dealing with these situations alone, unnecessarily.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..