Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-03-2012, 14:57   #1
Junior Member+

Help to identify uniforms please

Hello, I am researching my family history. I have 3 photos of family members in uniform and I wondered if anyone could give me any ideas on what type of uniform they are wearing. I believe that the one of the soldier and the one of the fireman? could be before the first world war and I have no idea on the lady. They will probably be from the Clayton/ Accrington area. I have trawled the internet, visited the military museum in Lancaster and taken 2 of them to the Who Do You Think You Are Live exhibition in London, but can't seem to get anywhere with them.

Any ideas would be great.

Thankyou
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fireman.jpg (497.5 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg mystery lady.jpg (277.2 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg mystery soldier.jpg (393.3 KB, 53 views)
trayjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-03-2012, 16:08   #2
I am Banned

Re: Help to identify uniforms please

Quote:
Originally Posted by trayjo View Post
Hello, I am researching my family history. I have 3 photos of family members in uniform and I wondered if anyone could give me any ideas on what type of uniform they are wearing. I believe that the one of the soldier and the one of the fireman? could be before the first world war and I have no idea on the lady. They will probably be from the Clayton/ Accrington area. I have trawled the internet, visited the military museum in Lancaster and taken 2 of them to the Who Do You Think You Are Live exhibition in London, but can't seem to get anywhere with them.

Any ideas would be great.

Thankyou
No 1 is a Fireman, and its a long time since they used military ranks. Possibly one of the City Fire Brigades.
The mystery Soldier I've posted it on a military web site.
If they don't know, then nobody will.
The young lady in uniform, looks like an early form
of majorettes.
Retlaw
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2012, 19:15   #3
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Seems more like a uniform from around the1850's. Not sure, but without any sort of insignia to indicate unit/arm of service the chance of defining the Regt will be pretty difficult.
Old 16-03-2012, 19:22   #4
Full Member+

Is that a kitten on the old lady's lap?
steve2qec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2012, 20:43   #5
Senior Member+

Have you cut off the photographer's name/address? I can probably 'date'them if I knew who the photoghrapher was. 1850's is far too early. The lone female - might that be a conductor's baton?
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2012, 21:21   #6
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
Have you cut off the photographer's name/address? I can probably 'date'them if I knew who the photoghrapher was. 1850's is far too early. The lone female - might that be a conductor's baton?
From a female perspective... the length of the young lady's skirt and style of her jacket indicates during or just preWWI. And no that isn't a conductor's baton - far too thick and too long if there is more of it under her arm.

The couple... her dress indicates late nineteenth century. I'm wonderig whether he is not a soldier but perhaps a musician in a band with a military style uniform? Obviously not well to do - look at the holes in the lace curtains and in the front of the woman's dress!
Old 17-03-2012, 10:59   #7
Junior Member+

Hello again,
The one of the lady has 'Franco British Potrait Studio' on it and the others don't have anything on. Thanks for all your advice. Does anyone know if there is a museum for the fire brigade or someone who I could show the fireman photo to who might be able to identify his helmet etc. On all the old photos of firemen that I have seen, they seem to be wearing double breasted and not single breasted tunics. I did wonder whether the lady was not in an 'offical' type uniform as she is wearing earrings or maybe they did?
Thanks again.
trayjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2012, 11:42   #8
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Hello again,
The one of the lady has 'Franco British Potrait Studio' on it and the others don't have anything on. Thanks for all your advice. Does anyone know if there is a museum for the fire brigade or someone who I could show the fireman photo to who might be able to identify his helmet etc. On all the old photos of firemen that I have seen, they seem to be wearing double breasted and not single breasted tunics. I did wonder whether the lady was not in an 'offical' type uniform as she is wearing earrings or maybe they did?
Thanks again.
There is a Franco British Photo Co listed as in Manchester - perhaps Bob has more details.

Victorian Photographers

I'd date the lady's costume as about 1917 - of course the photo may be later, the clothes don't look that new. Around that time military style trimmings were in fashion as a tribute to those who were in the war. I would say that is definitely not a uniform - don't think it would have had a frilly blouse with it. Perhaps she has borrowed her boyfriend's/relative's cap and stick to pose for a photo? Or she might be about to take part in a stage show.

Old 17-03-2012, 12:27   #9
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Hello again,
Thanks again.
Wonder if this person might be able to help with the fireman - or at least point you i the right direction...

http://www.spanglefish.com/barriesfi...p?pageid=87183

Last edited by susie123; 17-03-2012 at 12:30.
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2012, 13:28   #10
Resting In Peace

Looking at the photos on this website I'd say the man in the couple photo is just as likely to be a bandsman as a soldier, looking at his uniform.

ibew.co.uk
Old 17-03-2012, 16:11   #11
Senior Member+

That's not an arrow the young lady is holding, is it? It's about the right diameter and length and the shape at the end looks like the feathers on an arrow. An archery club photo?

Last edited by Gordon Booth; 17-03-2012 at 16:13.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2012, 16:27   #12
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
That's not an arrow the young lady is holding, is it? It's about the right diameter and length and the shape at the end looks like the feathers on an arrow. An archery club photo?
No Gordon it's not feathers it's more like a knob if you'll pardon the expression. I've blown the photo up and had a good look.
Old 17-03-2012, 17:54   #13
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
Its what's known as a swagger stick.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mystery%20lady.jpg (205.1 KB, 10 views)
Old 17-03-2012, 17:59   #14
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Its what's known as a swagger stick.
Thanks, I've been trying to think of the right word.
Old 17-03-2012, 18:38   #15
I am Banned

I've had a reply from the experts, and the answer is pasted below. Another of the experts dates the photo around the 1880's. The tunic is red with black cuffs & the fancy bits are a very pale blue.
Retlaw.
He is as I suspected a Royal Engineer with 9 button tunic and the standard lacing around collar and an Austrian knot on the cuff. The collar lace appears slightly obscure but if you look at the left side and under his chin you can see that the lace surrounds the collar as normal for RE. Collar badges were not always worn until the late 1870s. The snake belt clasp was quite common on the 1870 Valise Equipment that was issued to RE, as well as infantry.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mystery%20soldier.jpg (95.6 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by Retlaw; 17-03-2012 at 18:40.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..