Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2004, 10:59   #16

Re: Hippodrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob
It is surprising what we used to have.
Aye...we use to have a council that cared, and people to match!!

Accy was quite a wonderful place to be as a lad growing up in the 40's and 50's. We still had tradition then. Wakes weeks, when you thought the world had stopped (it had in Accy, second week at least). I can even remember Maypole dancing up Church Kirk, and in Oak Hill Park. Stopped in the 50's unfortunately (still have it in Bavaria..bless 'em, they hold onto their tradition in a very big way).

Market on Tuesdays, Fridays, and especially Saturday was exciting and worth a long walk into town. Playing on't Tanpits and Nelson Square was great. Cricket played against stumps drawn on a garage door. Football, on the Wreck, with games lasting 6 hours or more!

Walks and adventures down the Dunk or up Priestly Clough.....The days just weren't long enough...Scrumping in Stozzies orchard at the back of Dill Hall Lane. Pinching veg out of the allotments on Old Bob's.
Streets were clean (didn't need the council for that..every housholder did their front, and back!), you could stay out until it was passed sunset without threats or "Bad Men" groping you.

Flicks..we had 6 in Accy, 1 in Church and 3 up Ossy. Buses ran every 10 minutes (well Ossy to Accy then on to Clayton). Town Hall housed all the council offices (well almost all of them). Churches were clean and well looked after. Roads didn't have holes in 'em or sleeping policemen. Everybody spoke to one-another, humour was always there, and you could call a person of a different persuasion, exactly what you wanted without the thought police calling round. The Bobbies were quietly around on the beat, and you knew who was your local beat bobbie, and beware if he caught you doing something wrong. No court, no ASB's...just a clout round the lug hole, and a warning "next time...you're for it proper".

People had responsibility and were aware of the need to be polite, clean and mind yer own business. :engsmil: :engsmil:

Yes....days of yore........Sadly, all gone.............

Yeah, Accy was once a nice little industrial town that you could be really proud of...and I was-----
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-09-2004, 11:29   #17
Resting in peace

What memories - you brought back one long-forgotten. My mother used to take me to the Hippodrome every week on, I think, Saturday, for either the early show or the matinee. We then often went to Kendals for one of their good Lancashire meals.

HOWEVER - on one occasion she miscalculated, I don't know exactly how she managed it, but we went to the Hippodrome, and it seemed to be all grown-ups, and men at that. We sat bemused as this funny woman came on stage and started taking her clothes off. I now believe it was Phyllis Dixey's one and only visit to Accy! I had no idea what was going on, must have been about 7 or 8, except that I didn't think it was very entertaining, just watching this daft bat get undressed. I know now that my mother was too embarrassed to get up and leave. God knows how she managed to get it mixed up, even if she had been into that, she wouldn't have taken me ...!

Anybody remember the Christmas pantomime? - Magic!
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 11:46   #18

Aye, I think I went to see "Babes in the Wood" one Xmas. God it was cold in the gods.

The cast threw toffees at the kids. I was so disapointed as they couldn't reach the gods where I was.
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 13:20   #19
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darby
Streets were clean (didn't need the council for that..every housholder did their front, and back!)
Oh such memories you invoke. My Grandmother used to bleach the flags front and back and donkeystone the kerb as well as her own step! That was in the 50s/60s. Washing was pegged out across the back street. As kids we used to run up and down the back flapping under the sheets pegged out to dry, with various housewives chasing after us when they caught grubby handprints on their clean washing.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 15:25   #20
Senior Member+

I remember the local beat bobby he caught me and a friend having a fag and marched me home all the way up the street to my front door and told me mum that if she didnt stop me smoking I would surely end up in prison and his final warning "I will be watching for you", scared the s*i* out of me for years.

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 16:58   #21
God Member

For those of you who have never come across the estimable Miss Phyllis Dixey here is a short biography.

"Phyllis Dixey was Britain's wartime "Queen of Striptease". Her heyday began in 1940 when she took on the lease of the Whitehall Theatre in London. With her legendary "Peek-a-boo" revues she became enormously popular, acquiring a word-of-mouth reputation for sauciness that, in fact, was never quite matched by her performances. The Whitehall played to wartime audiences as packed as those of its rival, the more famous Windmill Theatre. Dixey eventually fell from favour as raunchier competitors began to appear and finally she was made bankrupt. At the time of her early death she was working as a cook."

So famous was she at the time that they even named a Lancaster Bomber after her and painted her image on it.

Name: Phyllis Dixey
Serial No.: LL842
Service History: 50 Sqn VN-F
Fate: Missing In Action 24/25 July 1944 attacking Stuttgart.

They don't make em like that anymore - more's the pity!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..