Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-02-2008, 22:11   #16
God Member

Re: Holland Street

OMG either very brave or very determined ..
Holland street used to be a lovely area and quite sought after some years back ..
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-03-2008, 09:50   #17
Resting in Peace

Holland street is on its way down ...........more photo's added

Holland Street- Accrington Gallery
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 09:57   #18
Member.

How do people living in Accrington feel about these demolitions? I know sentiment stands in front of progress and all that and there is little doubt that progress as changed the area over decades but think it’s sad to see such changes, individual histories and memories are being erased with time.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 10:03   #19
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
How do people living in Accrington feel about these demolitions? I know sentiment stands in front of progress and all that and there is little doubt that progress as changed the area over decades but think it’s sad to see such changes, individual histories and memories are being erased with time.

GUTTED

its such a shame about Blackburn road, although i dont live in Accrington anymore i think its awful, i used to 'hang out' around that area when i was a kid, i was really sad when they pulled down Sacred Heart Church, that held a lot of memories for me, my gran used to take me there when i was ickle, and my mum and grandad where buried from that church
Old 05-03-2008, 11:24   #20
Senior Member+

Thanks Mick, though it's horrible to see ! I guess what was mine at number 14 will be next, it's directly opposite the block they have started on ! What a shame, they werewell built little houses although you wouldn't think it to see the ease with which they can be demolished !
Old 05-03-2008, 11:37   #21
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
yer right mate, was said to see me mam n dads house go on dowry st yrs ago, usually park there when visiting n old friend,n getting me haircut, seems very strange to park in front of a bungalow,where the house used to be, know its just sentiment n memories, but things do move on.
Old 05-03-2008, 19:27   #22
God Member

Does anyone know what happens to the metal street name signs upon demolition? I would have thought the council would have kept 'em, if only to sell at a later date to old romantics (such as myself).
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 19:30   #23
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
Does anyone know what happens to the metal street name signs upon demolition? I would have thought the council would have kept 'em, if only to sell at a later date to old romantics (such as myself).
Interesting question Tealeaf, it's daft but something I'd do.....

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 23:11   #24
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Romantic? Tealeaf? so was the Waffen S.S.
Old 15-03-2008, 07:53   #25
Resting in Peace

Another update:
Thats one side of Holland St pulled down

More Photo's added to the gallery

Holland St - Accrington Gallery
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2008, 20:44   #26
Senior Member+

No doubt the other side will soon follow, mine was the one with wooden trellis over the front door and up the side.
Old 18-03-2008, 12:20   #27
God Member

Has anyone noticed the absence of rear kitchens on Holland Street? Every other Victorian terraced street around Hyndburn is characterised by the subsequent building of out kitchens in the back yard, but not apparently Holland Street. One wonders why? There does however, appear to be a preponderence of satellite TV dishes so it makes one wonder about the priorities of the people who lived there. Where have they all moved to? Probably Burnley or Dewsbury, I expect.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2008, 13:01   #28
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Has anyone noticed the absence of rear kitchens on Holland Street? Every other Victorian terraced street around Hyndburn is characterised by the subsequent building of out kitchens in the back yard, but not apparently Holland Street. One wonders why? There does however, appear to be a preponderence of satellite TV dishes so it makes one wonder about the priorities of the people who lived there. Where have they all moved to? Probably Burnley or Dewsbury, I expect.
presumably that means yer all scumbags,chavs,n skankers?
Old 18-03-2008, 18:25   #29
Senior Member+

Not so, when I moved to my house at 14 the dining kitchen was the biggest room in the house, the front room was large enough for 2 two seater settees and tv etc but the kitchen was huge ! Also had a very decent sized yard so didn't see any need to build an extension on, the kitchen had fitted units around 2 walls and a dining table and 6 chairs in the middle as well as all the white goods and a 5ft welsh dresser. plenty of room for what was then only 2 of us. The Sky tv has always been a priority for me, a little bit keen on the old cricket doncha know.
Old 18-03-2008, 18:38   #30
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsay ormerod
a little bit keen on the old cricket doncha know.
Which one, Buddy Holly?

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..