Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2012, 12:51   #1
Senior Member+

how old is your link to Accrington

reading on another thread, i saw someone state that, their great great great grandparents grave was in sj james church

got me thinking, how far back is there trace of your ancestors in accrington, i dont mean your knowledge, or recorded in a book knowledge, i mean gravestones, pictures in the town hall, that sort of thing, something anyone can just "see" when walking round accrington

mine would be Sgt James Edward Partlin, his name is on the cenotaph in oak hill park, died of his wounds, flanders 1917, he was my great great grandfather, and his wife May Partlin was shipped over to spend time with him as he was dying, apparantley a common occurrence during "the great war"

so whats yours?
churchfcrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-09-2012, 14:40   #2
I am Banned

Re: how old is your link to Accrington

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchfcrules View Post
reading on another thread, i saw someone state that, their great great great grandparents grave was in sj james church

got me thinking, how far back is there trace of your ancestors in accrington, i dont mean your knowledge, or recorded in a book knowledge, i mean gravestones, pictures in the town hall, that sort of thing, something anyone can just "see" when walking round accrington

mine would be Sgt James Edward Partlin, his name is on the cenotaph in oak hill park, died of his wounds, flanders 1917, he was my great great grandfather, and his wife May Partlin was shipped over to spend time with him as he was dying, apparantley a common occurrence during "the great war"

so whats yours?
This is the Newspaper report of his death, the first she knew was in a letter from her hubands C/o.
As to relatives being allowed to visit dieing soldiers, the Red Cross did run such a service, permission to visit had to come from the War Office, it depended a lot on what their injuries were & which hospital they were in, I've seen a lot of copies of telegrams where permission to visit is denied
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Partlin. J.E. Border Regt-9-18.jpg (353.3 KB, 35 views)

Last edited by Retlaw; 04-09-2012 at 14:47.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 14:45   #3
Senior Member+

the first she knew of what, his death? no i have reasearched this, and it was also told to me that she went to see him, by the end he could only manage the m of her name, the letter was a letter to a widow, not the informing her of his death.
Old 04-09-2012, 14:57   #4
I am Banned

Quote:
the first she knew of what, his death? no i have reasearched this, and it was also told to me that she went to see him, by the end he could only manage the m of her name, the letter was a letter to a widow, not the informing her of his death.
Have you read the newspaper report it says Killed in Action.
As to your having researched this. Do you have access to records I don't know about, I've not been able to find any service records for him. DId you know his name is on one of the brass plates, which used to be fastened to the pews in St Anne's church Cobham Rd.
Old 04-09-2012, 15:05   #5
Senior Member+

your only basis is a newspaper clipping, if you read it properly it is wrote some time after his death, it is the second letter he wrote.

i am trying to find the link to the entry in edith appletons diary where he and she are mentioned
Old 04-09-2012, 15:11   #6
Senior Member+

The death of Sgt. James Edward Partlin

as for the plaque only the mention in the article
Old 04-09-2012, 15:57   #7
Senior Member+

and how is this not a thread wander, you only posted to tell me i was wrong, then provided evidence!, when in fact i was correct and you dont know everything with your access to all of those records, history is about learning from all sources, and edith appletons is a primary source, the closet one to the event we have, not a letter printed in a paper that some widow asked them to print (read the nurses account)

the whole point of the thread was to ask people THEIR family history in accrington, i merely provided background to the fact that his name is on the cenotaph

where is your oldest family trace, has nothing to do with, your wrong your wrong your wrong.

another case!!!!!!
Old 04-09-2012, 16:33   #8
I am Banned

Quote:
and how is this not a thread wander, you only posted to tell me i was wrong, then provided evidence!, when in fact i was correct and you dont know everything with your access to all of those records, history is about learning from all sources, and edith appletons is a primary source, the closet one to the event we have, not a letter printed in a paper that some widow asked them to print (read the nurses account)

the whole point of the thread was to ask people THEIR family history in accrington, i merely provided background to the fact that his name is on the cenotaph

where is your oldest family trace, has nothing to do with, your wrong your wrong your wrong.

another case!!!!!!
What the LLL are you getting exited about, I was only providing a newspaper cutting in case you didn't know of it, lots of people on Accy web have mentioned a relative in WW1 and I've provided them with info they didn't have.
I can't help it if your such a big head, that you expect every one to assume you already know it all.
Old 04-09-2012, 16:43   #9
Senior Member+

Just read your own posts, you didnt supply the clipping for any other reason than to use it as evidence that I was wrong, you even referred to it a second time when questioning my own research, I would have more than welcomed the input you provided had it not have been for your own " big head and know it all" manner in wich it was presented, not getting excited at all, just know when you post to correct someone, make sure they are wrong, don't assume you have all the answers.

You didn't ask if I was sure, that sounds unlikely, how did I know this? Anything
Old 04-09-2012, 17:07   #10
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Just read your own posts, you didnt supply the clipping for any other reason than to use it as evidence that I was wrong, you even referred to it a second time when questioning my own research, I would have more than welcomed the input you provided had it not have been for your own " big head and know it all" manner in wich it was presented, not getting excited at all, just know when you post to correct someone, make sure they are wrong, don't assume you have all the answers.

You didn't ask if I was sure, that sounds unlikely, how did I know this? Anything
I think you should be grateful that he's supplied some information It may be wrong (i doubt it), but you shouldn't treat him in such a nasty way.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 17:25   #11
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
I think you should be grateful that he's supplied some information It may be wrong (i doubt it), but you shouldn't treat him in such a nasty way.
another off thread wander, ok i will explain it, again

READ his posts, it wasn't provided in any way other than "evidence" to tell me i was wrong

not have you seen this? is this of interest?

or even

"i have found this cutting regarding your relative, it does say that he was killed in action, how did you know of the wife's visit? although the red cross did arrange visits there was a lot that couldnt go i have seen the telegrams denying the visit"

no he responded with

"This is the Newspaper report of his death, the first she knew was in a letter from her hubands C/o"

he then went back an added in the extra line, look at the post you will see the edit.

as far me being nasty, in what way have I been nasty?

there was no malice, no spite, no anger, what was nasty? because i was short with someone who posted a correction that was incorrect?

i am sure retlaw has provided a lot of useful information and has spent many many hours researching on other peoples behalf, and that is commendable.

that doesnt excuse, what i believe as him "being rude", and the arrogance in assuming he has all the answers.

but no doubt a lot of you wont see that, they won't read subjectively, they won't see anyone elses point of view, look at whats in front of their own noses, no they will just go through life agreeing, when they dont know what they agreeing to.
Old 04-09-2012, 17:32   #12
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Well, without repeating your post.
What a load of bollox, you have so far been miserable, try to improve, I'm sure you can be better than this.

(I apologise to the rest of accyweb, I know I would usually attack such a person, somehow I think he deserves a chance).

No doubt he will take the chance to prove me wrong.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 17:41   #13
Senior Member+

undoubtably, take the chance that is, once again, i have to contend with people whose only argument for what they post is reverting to swearing, and pretending to be the school master, "could do better",

what is the basis that i , as you put it, am talking "bollox", you dont explain you just say your giving me a chance and that you would normally attack me, attack me?

for what, having an opinion? for posting facts? for correcting someone whose was in fact correcting me, and going "off thread", if u look i am not a new member, been a member for ages, just because i am new to posting, doesnt mean i am new to the forum.
Old 04-09-2012, 18:03   #14
Give, give, give member

Lose the Accrington ones in the mists of time, before 1500.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 18:05   #15
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Lose the Accrington ones in the mists of time, before 1500.
puzzled!!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..